• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in November on the Frances and the Portugues

TulasiPriya

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
I'm trying to decide the best time. I'm kind of caught in a situation because I have to decide whether to sign a six-month lease or not. If I sign it, I won't be free until November. That seems like walking the Camino would be miserable for me, but I don't know. Please share your experiences of your Camino at that time. Thanks.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm trying to decide the best time. I'm kind of caught in a situation because I have to decide whether to sign a six-month lease or not. If I sign it, I won't be free until November. That seems like it would be miserable for me, but I don't know. Please share your experiences of your Camino at that time. Thanks.
Actually I really love to be on the Camino in the winter and less busy times. I also like to work during that time as a hospitalera and I like walking as a pilgrim when the weather is cooler. Yes, it is also sometimes rainy, but with a good poncho and gear, it is fine. There are fewer places open in the winter, but also a lot fewer pilgrims so not everyplace needs to be open.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Actually I really love to be on the Camino in the winter and less busy times. I also like to work during that time as a hospitalera and I like walking as a pilgrim when the weather is cooler. Yes, it is also sometimes rainy, but with a good poncho and gear, it is fine. There are fewer places open in the winter, but also a lot fewer pilgrims so not everyplace needs to be open
So it's not completely miserable weather in November? I've got the weather websites for Spain bookmarked, so I'll check it out. It would just be nice to have the most pleasant weather possible my first time out. My husband and I are both lightweights, and he is less keen on the Camino than I am. For that reason, I'm considering going alone. I want to go on Camino to get some clarity, but it's hard to plan for Camino without some mental clarity, which I am in short supply of at the moment. Are there any therapists in this forum? 😄 Btw, I've been lurking this forum for about a month, and I always notice how helpful your replies are. Thanks.

An issue in November is that many albergues are closed for the season. This may necessitate walking longer distances than at other times of the year.

An issue in November is that many albergues are closed for the season. This may necessitate walking longer distances than at other times of the year.
That is true, but there is a "winter camino" web page for the CF which lets you know what is open and whether you need to phone ahead. All the Xunta or government run albergues once you reach Galicia are open year round.

I’ve often walked in November.

Accommodation availability is reduced - but more than sufficient.

It’s rarely too warm to walk - and as it’s darker in the mornings and evenings you don’t have to get up at stupid o’clock to avoid the heat.

You’ll be lucky to stay dry every day.

You’ll soon learn what 5mm/M2/Hr of rain looks like. (Spoiler alert: biblical)

Go for it.

For many recent posts re walking in autumn ie October/November see this earlier thread. The days can be golden but you must be prepared for cold. In past years it was my favorite time to walk.

Whenever/wherever you do go Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It’s rarely too warm to walk - and as it’s darker in the mornings and evenings you don’t have to get up at stupid o’clock to avoid the heat.
This is heartening. I have to avoid a lot of sun (just had a melanoma removed, plus I'm prone to overheating), so I was thinking I'd be doing most of my walking during early morning hours. If I don't have to, that would be great! Do hotels stay open also? I'd probably like to get a private room pretty often.
You’ll be lucky to stay dry every day.

You’ll soon learn what 5mm/M2/Hr of rain looks like. (Spoiler alert: biblical)

Not so heartening, but I will find a way to deal with it.
Go for it.
Aaaaand back to heartening again. Thank you.

p.s. Love your username.

The majority of hostales, hoteles and pensiones will be open so private rooms are available. It’s the specifically Camino-orientated albergues which tend to close.

There is a website ‘aprinca’ which only opens from November which lists albergues known to be open, and the listings on Gronze and Wisepilgrim are reliable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm trying to decide the best time. I'm kind of caught in a situation because I have to decide whether to sign a six-month lease or not. If I sign it, I won't be free until November. That seems like walking the Camino would be miserable for me, but I don't know. Please share your experiences of your Camino at that time. Thanks.
Walked a small part in November 2019 in the snow. Was beautiful. Few pilgrims but some, and lots of local interaction.

My favorite time is late September and early October. As henrythedog said in November the rain can be biblical. Your first Camino should be a pilgrimage, yes, but how many sins must you walk off cold, wet and muddy? Take a lease on life and walk earlier. Buen Camino

Walked the Portugese Camino from Porto to SDC in late October- November 2022. Heavy rain all except 2 days. Weather is different every year. YMMV. Washing clothes and getting them dry by the next day was a challenge.

i have been walking in late October, November and December for a long time. You NEVER know what will happen. 8 years ago on the CP from Lisbon starting in October and ending early November. No rain and temps at the beginning around 90 and later cooled down. I could count on one hand the days that were cloudy. Last year I was on the CP coastal in November and I just about swam to Santiago. But I couldn't have cared less because where would I rather be? I have been on the Meseta at exactly the same time 3 years apart. First time 90F+ and not a cloud in the sky. Second time, Rain that would hit you in the face, high winds and 40-50F every day. Just walk and accept. I don't want to intrude on your husband and your decisions about going. The camino is hard and your husband may learn what a truly wonderful experience it is or be absolutely miserable. You never know what wll happen inside and out. I say just walk and tell yourself and your husband to leave your expectations at home and accept the camino one step at a time.

Once you become addicted to the Caminos it is hard to stay away no matter the weather. You go whenever you can. Like It56ny says, it is hard. So I think you should walk your first time in nice weather. Buen Camino

I started my 2017 Frances from SJPP on 13 Nov. No issues with albergues being open (and I’ve just got home from the Frances starting 3 January SJPP and no issues with albergues on that one either). Now the weather….who would know! We saw a lot more snow 2017 Nov/Dec than 2024 Jan/Feb. In 2017, snow at Roncesvalles, Meseta and O’Cebreiro. But sunny days also up 15C max. I start the Frances from SJPP again 12 October 2024 and I’m debating leaving behind my gortex jacket in favour of a rain poncho and a sleeping liner without sleeping bag. But will make that decision closer to departure when I can see some weather forecasts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did the Frances mid October to mid November and really like this time of year. You experience all season - rain, cold, heat on the Meseta, and mild temperatures. So you need gloves, beanie and a fleece but also short sleeve shirts and maybe shorts for the Meseta. There were some towns closed in November. If I ever do the CF again it will be the same time of year.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back