• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

People like us?

Adrian961

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances planned April/May 2014
Don't get me wrong, I like my fellow Brits, but I'm not hugely excited about walking the Camino with them. No, what gets me going is the prosepect of meeting and sharing the experience with people form far away places. Do you share that view or do you feel more comfortable knowing there are likely to be people from your country, state, province etc. on the Camino? People like you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We most enjoy meeting and chatting with the locals, as well as pilgrims from further afield. That might include the UK, but if not it does not worry us.
Once in 'Spanish' mode it is almost easier not to tune-in to English again too often. Having said that we have met some lovely English speakers with just a few from the UK.
People 'like us' - they all are if they are pilgrims.

I love walking with the Irish. The only draw back is that the morning's camino almost invariably whizzes by too quickly full of laughter, tales, poetry, pathos and delight. (Are they British? )
I like meeting fellow Scots, of course, but there are not so many, especially on the longer caminos.
The Welsh can usually sing well, so I suppose, the answer is, yes, I like meeting up with fellow Brits.
Even the English are more than tolerable on the Camino because, as we all know, on the Camino Robert Burns' dream comes true "That man tae man the warld o'er shall brithers be for a' that".

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I love walking with the Irish. The only draw back is that the morning's camino almost invariably whizzes by too quickly full of laughter, tales, poetry, pathos and delight. (Are they British? )
In short, no we are not. To answer the Ops question I like meeting everyone, I take them as I find them, if I like their company I will converse and if I don't I move on.

Don't get me wrong, I like my fellow Brits, but I'm not hugely excited about walking the Camino with them.
I agree with you. As a general rule, I find the British the worst travelling companions, even worse than people from the US. But then I remind myself that I shouldn't judge you all by the worst examples that I have seen, and that I have travelled with many polite, sincere and even entertaining people from all nations. People who have been incredibly tolerant of local customs and practices, willing to adapt to local conditions, and who have been genuinely good company.

And as a bonus, the Brits speak remarkably good English.

and yes, I have met some absolutely awful Australians, but not on the Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wayfarer:-
It was 3 lovely Irish ladies we had met along the Camino who just 'happened' to meet us as we entered the Plaza de Obradoiro. A lovely welcome to Santiago. We were all so pleased to meet up again, especially as they were just leaving to catch their plane. Over the next few days we saw other folk we had met too, some more than once. A great way to end the Camino

In short, no we are not. To answer the Ops question I like meeting everyone, I take them as I find them, if I like their company I will converse and if I don't I move on.
I didn't mean it as a question really, Wayfarer. I wanted to include the Irish especially in my answer to a question about walking with my fellow Brits and that's just how it came out - an excuse to proclaim my joy in walking with the Irish.

Well, you know, the camino is The Great Leveler...

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Anyone who can tolerate me is a great walking partner no matter.

Yes Tia it is a great way to end the Camino, I sat on the steps opposite the St Martin Pinario and met many of the people I walked with, many others I met at cafes around the town. It gives a great sense of being finished.

If the Ashes* debacle unfolds as expected, I think I'll invoke my South African roots when I meet Australians. Or piggy back on the Australian citizenship of two of my offspring. In truth, travel broadens the mind and more so on the Camino where one is thrust into the communal polyglot melting pot. It's almost the perfect blend of solitude where desired, convivial company, shared hardship, and splendid Spanish hospitality. In daily life one can get a bit parochial so it must be a good thing to get out there and meet people from elsewhere .
*Ashes: Five 5 day attritional battles with breaks at lunch and tea for the smallest trophy in sport which is never actually handed to the winner.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
People were just people wherever they were from. I remember, quite early in my walk last year reflecting on some of the people I had already met and talked to and realising they were from so many places. I tried a mental count of the countries. 27, and I had only been going a few days!

I am Asian American & looked more Asian so of course I've been mistaken for Japanese, Korean, Chinese but never American until I open my mouth and say "Hi" to pilgrims/people I meet in cafés/bars. While walking & greeting fellow pilgrims "Buen Camino" I would hear them say in their language that I am Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. I used to while my time & count how many would think I'm "japonesa". Later on I'd see them in cafés or albergues & we'd have a good laugh about it. The funnier part is when fellow Americans would talk about me not realizing I understood what they were saying. I have met a lot of peregrinos from everywhere and I can honestly say they are 99% wonderful and if you like their company and they like yours, that's all that counts-if not, move on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It tickled me that the two most memorable pilgrims we met were both Australian! And both were committed Catholics, me being pagan and my husband keeping his options open... We are still in contact years later. I don't remember meeting anyone who was objectionable - even the Brits! (we are usually so good at it!) Perhaps pilgrimage brings out the best in people - or perhaps after toiling all day and downing red wine like water, people just seem nicer....!!
But I have to agree that the Irish are just the bestest - for walking with, for overtaking you on your bicycle, and especially for drinking with..

Yeah, don't be picky about who you walk with based on nationality...it's the pilgrims with blue backpacks you really have to avoid.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yeah, don't be picky about who you walk with based on nationality...it's the pilgrims with blue backpacks you really have to avoid.

tyrrek my backpacks blue and grey and I thought you were picking litter in Spain not picking on me?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum