People like us?

Adrian961

Nov 12, 2013
Ramsgate, Kent, UK
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances planned April/May 2014
Don't get me wrong, I like my fellow Brits, but I'm not hugely excited about walking the Camino with them. No, what gets me going is the prosepect of meeting and sharing the experience with people form far away places. Do you share that view or do you feel more comfortable knowing there are likely to be people from your country, state, province etc. on the Camino? People like you.

Reactions: David
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Jun 16, 2009
UK
camino-primitivo-2012.blogspot.co.uk
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
We most enjoy meeting and chatting with the locals, as well as pilgrims from further afield. That might include the UK, but if not it does not worry us.
Once in 'Spanish' mode it is almost easier not to tune-in to English again too often. Having said that we have met some lovely English speakers with just a few from the UK.
People 'like us' - they all are if they are pilgrims.

Reactions: David and hecate105

freescot

Jun 19, 2013
Santibañez el Alto, Caceres, Spain
www.the-raft-of-corks.com
La Plata (2010) Portuguese from Coimbra(2010) Levante (2011) La Lana (2013) Francés from Roncevalles to Molinasaca then the Camino de Invierno (2014)
I love walking with the Irish. The only draw back is that the morning's camino almost invariably whizzes by too quickly full of laughter, tales, poetry, pathos and delight. (Are they British? )
I like meeting fellow Scots, of course, but there are not so many, especially on the longer caminos.
The Welsh can usually sing well, so I suppose, the answer is, yes, I like meeting up with fellow Brits.
Even the English are more than tolerable on the Camino because, as we all know, on the Camino Robert Burns' dream comes true "That man tae man the warld o'er shall brithers be for a' that".

Reactions: wayfarer
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
2012, 2013, 2014.
I love walking with the Irish. The only draw back is that the morning's camino almost invariably whizzes by too quickly full of laughter, tales, poetry, pathos and delight. (Are they British? )
In short, no we are not. To answer the Ops question I like meeting everyone, I take them as I find them, if I like their company I will converse and if I don't I move on.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
Don't get me wrong, I like my fellow Brits, but I'm not hugely excited about walking the Camino with them.
I agree with you. As a general rule, I find the British the worst travelling companions, even worse than people from the US. But then I remind myself that I shouldn't judge you all by the worst examples that I have seen, and that I have travelled with many polite, sincere and even entertaining people from all nations. People who have been incredibly tolerant of local customs and practices, willing to adapt to local conditions, and who have been genuinely good company.

And as a bonus, the Brits speak remarkably good English:rolleyes:.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Jun 16, 2009
UK
camino-primitivo-2012.blogspot.co.uk
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Wayfarer:-
It was 3 lovely Irish ladies we had met along the Camino who just 'happened' to meet us as we entered the Plaza de Obradoiro. A lovely welcome to Santiago. We were all so pleased to meet up again, especially as they were just leaving to catch their plane. Over the next few days we saw other folk we had met too, some more than once. A great way to end the Camino

freescot

Jun 19, 2013
Santibañez el Alto, Caceres, Spain
www.the-raft-of-corks.com
La Plata (2010) Portuguese from Coimbra(2010) Levante (2011) La Lana (2013) Francés from Roncevalles to Molinasaca then the Camino de Invierno (2014)
In short, no we are not. To answer the Ops question I like meeting everyone, I take them as I find them, if I like their company I will converse and if I don't I move on.
I didn't mean it as a question really, Wayfarer. I wanted to include the Irish especially in my answer to a question about walking with my fellow Brits and that's just how it came out - an excuse to proclaim my joy in walking with the Irish.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
2012, 2013, 2014.
Wayfarer:-
It was 3 lovely Irish ladies we had met along the Camino who just 'happened' to meet us as we entered the Plaza de Obradoiro. A lovely welcome to Santiago. We were all so pleased to meet up again, especially as they were just leaving to catch their plane. Over the next few days we saw other folk we had met too, some more than once. A great way to end the Camino
Yes Tia it is a great way to end the Camino, I sat on the steps opposite the St Martin Pinario and met many of the people I walked with, many others I met at cafes around the town. It gives a great sense of being finished.

Reactions: pilgrim b

Adrian961

Nov 12, 2013
Ramsgate, Kent, UK
Camino Frances planned April/May 2014
If the Ashes* debacle unfolds as expected, I think I'll invoke my South African roots when I meet Australians. Or piggy back on the Australian citizenship of two of my offspring. In truth, travel broadens the mind and more so on the Camino where one is thrust into the communal polyglot melting pot. It's almost the perfect blend of solitude where desired, convivial company, shared hardship, and splendid Spanish hospitality. In daily life one can get a bit parochial so it must be a good thing to get out there and meet people from elsewhere .
*Ashes: Five 5 day attritional battles with breaks at lunch and tea for the smallest trophy in sport which is never actually handed to the winner.

Reactions: pilgrim b
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

indyrem

Jul 24, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Camino Frances June-July (2013) Camino Ingles (2015)
I am Asian American & looked more Asian so of course I've been mistaken for Japanese, Korean, Chinese but never American until I open my mouth and say "Hi" to pilgrims/people I meet in cafés/bars. While walking & greeting fellow pilgrims "Buen Camino" I would hear them say in their language that I am Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. I used to while my time & count how many would think I'm "japonesa". Later on I'd see them in cafés or albergues & we'd have a good laugh about it. The funnier part is when fellow Americans would talk about me not realizing I understood what they were saying. I have met a lot of peregrinos from everywhere and I can honestly say they are 99% wonderful and if you like their company and they like yours, that's all that counts-if not, move on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

hecate105

Veteran Member
Aug 20, 2008
devon, uk
arcadiaramblings.wordpress.com
'09 Portuguese Estellas '14 Aurelia '16 St Davids '17 Via Augusta/V dl P. '18/'19 Michael Mary Way
It tickled me that the two most memorable pilgrims we met were both Australian! And both were committed Catholics, me being pagan and my husband keeping his options open... We are still in contact years later. I don't remember meeting anyone who was objectionable - even the Brits! (we are usually so good at it!) Perhaps pilgrimage brings out the best in people - or perhaps after toiling all day and downing red wine like water, people just seem nicer....!!
But I have to agree that the Irish are just the bestest - for walking with, for overtaking you on your bicycle, and especially for drinking with..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

pilgrim b

Veteran Member
Jan 21, 2013
Yorkshire UK
Caminos Frances 2013-Ingles 2014-Frances 2015
St Cuthbert's Way 2017-Via Francigena 2018 & 2019
Yeah, don't be picky about who you walk with based on nationality...it's the pilgrims with blue backpacks you really have to avoid. ;)

tyrrek my backpacks blue and grey and I thought you were picking litter in Spain not picking on me?;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many...
Can someone put together a calendar of holidays in Spain for pilgrims to use as part of their planning? I’ve never gotten stuck, but it seems that, once or twice, posters are caught trying to...
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic. If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides