• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim shame

• Thread starter Deleted member 36903
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36903

While staying at the albergue in Uterga I met another pilgrim at the evening meal. He entertained his fellow pilgrims with various stories of his many travels and of encountering a taxi on the Way in which several people were travelling with their backpacks, all of whom ducked down as the vehicle passed him. He coined the wonderful phrase 'pilgrim shame' to describe this phenomenon. Have other members of the forum witnessed/been 'guilty of' instances of 'pilgrim shame'?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
While staying at the albergue in Uterga I met another pilgrim at the evening meal. He entertained his fellow pilgrims with various stories of his many travels and of encountering a taxi on the Way in which several people were travelling with their backpacks, all of whom ducked down as the vehicle passed him. He coined the wonderful phrase 'pilgrim shame' to describe this phenomenon. Have other members of the forum witnessed/been 'guilty of' instances of 'pilgrim shame'?
Yes. Leaving Najera we got drenched (too slow getting rain gear on) on a day that was very cold. The baby was dry but adults all wet. Then the wind started. We had an albergue with a private room reserved in Santo Domingo, and didn't want to risk losing it (finding a spot to stop with the baby took planning), but meanwhile couldnt justify walking in that kind of weather with a baby. The tiny town we took refuge in was already booked full for the night. So we taxi'd to Santo Domingo. We didn't feel bad about our decision until we got near Santo Domingo....suddenly the rain cleared, the sun shone strong, the wind stopped, and we started passing members of our camino family at major intersections......all of whom were staring at us like "why are they in a tax?". We'd gotten a late start and got hit with the rain that stuck around Najera, they'd never even been damp.

Yes. Leaving Najera we got drenched (too slow getting rain gear on) on a day that was very cold. The baby was dry but adults all wet. Then the wind started. We had an albergue with a private room reserved in Santo Domingo, and didn't want to risk losing it (finding a spot to stop with the baby took planning), but meanwhile couldnt justify walking in that kind of weather with a baby. The tiny town we took refuge in was already booked full for the night. So we taxi'd to Santo Domingo. We didn't feel bad about our decision until we got near Santo Domingo....suddenly the rain cleared, the sun shone strong, the wind stopped, and we started passing members of our camino family at major intersections......all of whom were staring at us like "why are they in a tax?". We'd gotten a late start and got hit with the rain that stuck around Najera, they'd never even been damp.
Shoot, ain't no shame in dat.
Y'all were not the typical pilgrims. Certain provisions must occur with a baby on board.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my first CF while I was taking a short rest near one of the water fountains somewhere between Sarria and Santiago, I saw a taxi pull-up and stop on the road nearby. A tall athletic young lady, dressed in the finest modern pilgrim attire exited the taxi, removed her backpack from the trunk (boot), and put it on as the cab drove off. I swear she looked around to see if she had been observed doing this, and as I was the only one at the fountain and sitting in the grass, she did not see me. After checking her six, she proceeded down the Camino to the next town, which was only about 1 kilometer away. I saw her later in the town getting stamps at a bar and a church and stopping to stay in the albergue.
I'd also heard tales of other semi-pilgrims doing this, and deliberately dirtying up their footwear as to make them look well traveled.

Years ago a friendly albergue hospitalero told me his test for sifting the true from the false potential guest. Upon arrival he would helpfully lift off each pack and place his hand on the potencial guest 's back. If their back was wet with sweat they passed the cut.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is NO SHAME in taking a taxi or bus walking the camino. There are REASONS for taking a taxi or bus. On one Camino we had to take a taxi to our hotel. The next morning we were dropped off exactly where we stopped and continued our camino. On another camino my companion had a bad case of deep blisters. A day off was indicated but because of where we spent the night and our schedule we had to take a taxi to our next stop. More often than not, necessity dictates ones actions on the camino. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

As long as I have already booked a room at least the night before and have a physical condition I say its fair game, or if I am using them to walk a 30+km stage in two days by shuttling back and forth ( something that had never occured to me until reading about it here). I remember the dirty looks I got in Guernika's youth hostel: it's open to the public, they let you book ahead of time, and Fasciitis was rearing up its ugly head: fair game. This being said, I would not feel right doing it in the last 100km nor if staying in a muni or donativo.

Met a mother and daughter back in 2012 who were doing the last 150k, the mother could only walk about 3 miles before a taxi was sent for and this happened on a daily basis. I think it was a case of bad preparation. But.......We all do our own caminos as best we can.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is NO SHAME in taking a taxi or bus walking the camino. There are REASONS for taking a taxi or bus. On one Camino we had to take a taxi to our hotel. The next morning we were dropped off exactly where we stopped and continued our camino. On another camino my companion had a bad case of deep blisters. A day off was indicated but because of where we spent the night and our schedule we had to take a taxi to our next stop. More often than not, necessity dictates ones actions on the camino. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I totally agree urbantrekker, anemone and 56pilgrim, you do what you have to, so there is no need for shame or guilt UNLESS, as mspath and anemone del camino hint at, that includes misrepresentation for personal benefit at the cost to others, e.g. arriving at a donativo albergue having travelled by vehicle and claiming a bed that rightly should be given to a pilgrim who has walked the distance with their own pack.. The OP was not about judging others but about others judging themselves. But after I heard that story in Uterga I later saw many large taxis with darkened windows and wondered if this was to provide anonymity during transport to the next albergue.:)

I totally agree that there is no shame in using a taxi if you have to. Unfortunately, those people are likely the ones who will feel shame. For the most part, people are doing their best and sometimes pushing themselves really hard to walk the Camino, and feel badly when they can't.

But I just don't understand the point of doing the Camino if you're going to misrepresent it, and take a taxi just because you can. Why do the Camino at all in that case? How can these types hold their head up staying in albergues and donativos beside people who have been making the effort for days and days? Just don't get it...

But I also don't want to get caught up too much while I'm walking noticing these types of people, because the injustice of it will just get me frustrated. Maybe that will be one of my Camino lessons when I get there... how to better deal with that frustration!

Last year I reached the top of the Alto de Perdon to find I had left my phone in the albergue. I went back down (and for the first time realised what it feels like to have all those puzzled stares). I had no hesitation in getting a taxi to Uterga to continue (well I had pretty much walked as many ks already). I have long since not felt any criticism of others using transport/having bags transported or for that matter almost anything else as I don't know the reason. They have my sympathy for whatever their needs are that mean them missing that part of the experience as a consequence. However, if it means they can continue to enjoy and be influenced then great!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last summer I saw a fella get out of a taxi at the 100km marker. He then got a stamp at the next café. Jumped back in a taxi thereafter. I actually felt sorry for him but was genuinely puzzled as to the motivation

Very nearly got a taxi last summer from El Ganso to Rabanal.I was in pure agony and was concerned about continuing. I mentioned it to a Dutch pilgrim who I'd met in Hospital de Obrigo. He convinced me to carry on walking. He said that he would walk me and phone a taxi if I felt I couldn't carry on. I was very grateful for his kindness and his spirit persuaded me to carry on. I figured if he could walk from his front door (near Arnhem) then I could carry on

I do get cross if a transported (fit) person takes a muni or donativo bed from an unsupported walking pilgrim, causing the pilgrim to have to walk further. But I've also heard of people taking taxis because there was no accommodation left and they could walk no further....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I remember once having to take a taxi from Villamayor de Monjardín to Los Arcos. When we arrived in Villamayor de Monjardín after a 25km hike there was just no room anywhere. Nowhere to sleep at all. So 4 of us took a taxi to Los Arcos and we were very lucky to find somewhere to sleep there. Anyone who may have observed the 4 of us arriving at the Albergue in Los Arcos and getting the last four places may have 'judged' us harshly for depriving a genuine walker/pilgrm of a deserved bed. However I felt no shame whatsoever about taking the taxi as to walk on after a long day's hike is to invite trouble. People take taxis for a myriad of reasons. I personally find it more than enough trouble to sort myself out and I have no energy left over for sorting anyone else out. I prefer to ponder my journey than get overly concerned for what motivates others. It is very easy to judge and I guess we all do it from time to time (including me) but I sure prefer to live my life as best I can and allow others to do the same.

Have other members of the forum witnessed/been 'guilty of' instances of 'pilgrim shame'?
Guilty of it.

So, Peg had badly injured her foot with walking a long stretch of pavement out of Leon and we were stuck with no walking for 5 days at Astorga. We continued the rest of the camino slowly. The pavement just outside Ponferrada started to hurt Peg and so she wanted to bus the rest of the way in. While resting at a bar with a bus stop I checked the map. The bus came and I climbed in to pay our fares. The driver was saying that he could only bring us a very short way along the camino before turning off it and that we should just walk it. Peg was demanding to get on the bus. The passengers must have been wondering what was causing the delay. I'm getting confused with the switching between Spanish and English and being talked to in both at the same time. I told the driver that I knew that it was just a short way but please let us on and he did. It was the shortest bus ride I ever had; only about a half of a kilometer. I had to do it but I lost a bit of pride.

After a short tour of the castle we walked to catch another bus to Camponaraya to spend the night. No shame lost because of that trip because it would have killed Peg. But a 2 to 3 minute bus trip was something else.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While at a bar having a bocadillo and a Coke, a young man comes in to ask for a sello. His credencial was overflowing with stamped sellos. He told me that he and his wife were on their honeymoon and driving the camino. Their car was parked outside. Shortly thereafter they were off again.

I really never totally understood the hype about sellos and credencials. The accomplishment is the walk and whatever it means to you personally. I guess it's nice to have the souvenir but I was surprised and the lengths people go through for their token of accomplishment...

Having said that, I do agree that there are many legitimate reasons why someone might be on a taxi or bus. I disagree with those who take such conveyances for convenience if they are healthy and fit to walk.

Happy Trails
I agree, Urban Trekker. I've taken buses or taxis for several reasons and I believe I AM NOT ANSWERABLE TO ANYONE BUT TO MYSELF. For example, I was walking to Samos last year and it started raining, got dark and I walked on the main road with cars zooming past me. I walked for about an hour in these conditions and came to a little village, about 5 km before Samos. I stopped there, warmed myself, requested for a taxi and in no time at all, I was home in the albergue. Another time, walking up O'Cerbrerio, I pulled a muscle and couldn't walk and got OFFERED a ride by the man delivering luggage. I reached the albergue and was lucky to be among those who got the last available beds !!! Two more people after me and it was COMPLETO. Talk of miracles on the Camino?? Buen Camino :) Caesar

Y'all were not the typical pilgrims. Certain provisions must occur with a baby on board.
Of course, and I didn't mean we really felt "ashamed" or like we'd made the wrong decision. But it was funny the way it played out because the people we were passing in the cab were walking in a nice, sunny day, and had no way of knowing what weather we'd hit. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but it was still kind of a comical moment

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sure, I see this on every Camino. However, I put it into perspective.

Back in the day, say in medieval times, if you were walking along as a pilgrim and a farmer pulled up in his horse or donkey drawn cart and offered you a lift to the next village or pilgrim "hospital" would this be wrong? Would it be a sin?

I opine that it would NOT be wrong at all. The Cathedral officials only prescribe that a pilgrim must walk the final 100 Km (111 Km actually) to qualify for the Compostela. For cyclists, the distance is 200 Km. So, outside that proviso, one can do whatever floats their proverbial boat on the Camino.

In any event, it is not for me to judge. I do not know the full story. I do not have omniscient knowledge. I do not know what is in their hearts. As a pilgrim, my role it to accept, try to understand, and NOT to judge.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I haven't walked the Frances, but one thing that was just so hard for us on the first part of the Voie de Tours was the number of taxis who were obviously cruising us, hoping that we would give in and hail them. Such temptation, especially in the pouring rain. We did get as far as having the conversation/argument about, "Well, we didn't call it or go looking for it; maybe St Jacques sent it for us?" more than once, so I would never ever judge anyone else for that unless they pretended they didn't do it.

Last edited:
Sure, I see this on every Camino. However, I put it into perspective.

Back in the day, say in medieval times, if you were walking along as a pilgrim and a farmer pulled up in his horse or donkey drawn cart and offered you a lift to the next village or pilgrim "hospital" would this be wrong? Would it be a sin?

I opine that it would NOT be wrong at all. The Cathedral officials only prescribe that a pilgrim must walk the final 100 Km (111 Km actually) to qualify for the Compostela. For cyclist, the distance is 200 Km. So, outside that proviso, one can do whatever floats their proverbial boat on the Camino.

In any event, it is not for me to judge. I do not know the full story. I do not have omniscient knowledge. I do not know what is in their hearts. As a pilgrim, my role it to accept, try to understand, and NOT to judge.

I hope this helps.
Heck no, that would not be wrong and I'm sure 99.99% of the original, medieval pilgrims would have jumped on board.
This whole uptight pilgrim purist nonsense is a byproduct of modern times. Comical and ironic at the same time. Someone trying to be a purist whilst wearing synthetics and gore-tex, following their route downloaded on an iPhone....:D
Only reason I get pissed at the pilgrims on wheels and such is when they descend upon albergues en masse and I got to step down the road to find a bed for the night. It has nothing to do with purism. :)

I try not to judge pilgrims based on their method of travel, especially since it very well could have been me in a taxi or bus. I thank God that he allowed me, one of the least-fit pilgrims, to walk the whole way. I saw and knew of several very fit pilgrims who had injuries or circumstances that led them to seek motorized travel. Each day, it was no small miracle that I didn't end up in one. So no, there is no shame if you are unable to walk.

Unless you do it on horseback. Nuts to those people.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, wait... I can honestly say I DO JUDGE peregrinos who are on those big busses or take cars or even those who only carry "bolsa chicas" as their main pack is carried by a taxi. But I judge most harshly when they "sneak".

I don't think again about them at all, but I notice.

The reason is, for me, the purity of the challenge, un-aided, actually leads to the purity of accomplishment, and the level of pleasure achieved. Anyone trying to hide their cheats is not pure.

Now I would not look down upon someone who is physically unable, trying to make a timeline, etc. who doesn't pretend to be doing something their not. Its the sneaks who bother!

I remember on the Primitivo I met a Spanish gentleman on my second day. He was obviously not well trained, and was somewhat of a braggart. He was astonished at the distance I covered already, given my time appointed. He told of the trials of walking and how tough it was.

Every day I would leave before him. Every day I would walk bad ass. But 3 or 4 times, as I walked into town sweaty, he would greet me clean at some bar, laughing, but kind of shady like. He never came clean. Sneak.

Another time on the Norte there was this nice Dutch girl who had decided to befriend an older gentleman.... one day, after a particularly laborious route I spent with her, she was surprised to meet her companion waiting for her arrival, though he had indicated he wanted to "sleep in" and experience the walk alone. She had no clue, but I recognized that sneaker! (Said nothing, moved on.)

So, if one is going to use non-traditional Camino methods out of necessity, by all means do so. I respect that.

If one sneaks around and tries to fool others into believing they are expending a similar effort, walk past, and forget.

I see no valour in self abuse. Walking beyond when the body indicates, No, might be seen as just that. There is no shame in resting a while or hitching a kilometre or two to avoid collapse. That is loving ones self. It can also mean survival…

Does anyone know where the Rule of walking every step originated? Why do we suffer it?

...I was caught in a blizzard once. A truck appeared. So I hitched...I cruised for an hour along a canal to avoid dehydration and collapse...I skipped 600 kms between Vienna and Prague to avoid walking through a Norwegian winter. Where is the shame in that?

It is rare that I meet another pilgrim out there and when I do it is of no consequence to me which mode they took to appear. I am just glad to see them...

Last edited:
While I would love to say I had walked every step from St. jean carrying everything all in one go (I did it in stages and still haven't managed to do Burgos t0 Leon) my greatest admiration is for Pat and Stewart who did it by coach last year. Pat aged 86 was diagnosed with cancer three years earlier and told she had only a year to live. Stewart (her husband) aged 88 had had a bad stroke and limited mobility as a result. They struggled all the way but they made it into the Cathedral for the Pilgrim Mass although they didn't qualify for a Compostela certificate. Real pilgrims.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
this is helpful as i have walked and carried my pack with no bus or taxi help in the past,this year my mum who is 64,wants to come along to see what we have been raving about,she wants to walk and carry her bag as we have been scornful of cheaters in the past.however i expect as this is not an episode of 50 ways to kill your mammy i think we will have to take a couple of taxi or bus rides,so in short i promise to be more forgiving in the future,,my lesson in being less judgemental begins hopefully in early juneo_O

It doesnt bother me ,to be honest,it seems to be a getting to the end of a camino,thing,tired legs,aches and pain,its if they take the beds of others,who have walked ,then its a little unfair.

I am guilty of taking a taxi. I developed a bad upper respiratory infection after walking 5 days in the rain. I ended up catching a taxi to skip the last stage into Burgos so I could go to the hospital and get treatment. They were very nice btw...

It's hard not to judge the many pilgrims who do a 'taxi camino' from Sarria (for example) on, and it's easy to feel righteous when you've walked the 'whole' way and feel that you shouldn't have to be denied a bed because they got to the albergue first. I've definitely been guilty of these emotions and am therefore conflicted. While I feel I am 'justified' in thinking so, I also realize it's a flaw in my personality that I can't be more forgiving of others, jumping to conclusions on their abilities without knowing why they took transport. A double flaw in that why should I let it bother me in the first place? Who am I to decide what is the 'only' way to do the Camino?

And I have hitchhiked before, when shin splints wouldn't allow me to take even a few steps more, and felt relieved/shamed in doing so. And I have taken a taxi in advance before, when facing 16kms of road walking soon into my Camino, knowing it would lead to shin splints, and felt justified/shamed in doing so.

I guess I just think/worry too much about what other people are thinking/doing....

cabigred, I have every sympathy with you and pleased that you were able to get to hospital where they treated you well. I also developed a chest infection after Puenta La Reina and had to rest up in a Pensione in Los Arcos to get better, and to stop me infecting other pilgrims. By the third day I was still unwell so caught the bus to Logrono as the room in Los Arcos was quite pricey. I felt disappointment rather than shame that I was missing what looked to be an especially beautiful section of the Camino. On boarding that bus I met a woman I had last seen at the Uterga albergue. She had been quite distressed there having torn a ligament on the treacherous descent from Alto de Perdon and had to be assisted down. Rather than resting as she should , she was heading for Logrono where she hoped to recommence her Camino. When we arrived at the city it was obvious her injury required complete rest and, in the end, she accepted that she would have to stay a while to let her leg heal, but she was distraught at what she saw as her personal failure. Much later on, another fellow pilgrim experienced leg problems and, after having visited the local hospital, accepted reluctantly that she would have to rest up a few days. I travelled with her on the bus going back to near where we had started from the previous day, so she could catch a train to a place that would permit a longer stay. She also was very upset that she was having to skip a part of her Camino.

When I started this thread 'shame' was meant in a jokey way when probably 'embarrassment' was the more accurate word because no judgement was intended. But underlying the thread was also the more serious matter of having witnessed people who were bereft when forced to stop walking because of illness or injury. It is often on the buses, it seems, that suffering pilgrims can be found, and they are not happy that circumstances have thwarted their best efforts to walk the distance and forced them on to wheeled transport. There's no shame in that at all, surely just our compassion because we all know how it would/did feel if it happened to us. Those caragrinos parking outside bars and churches and rushing in to get a sello, well that's a different matter ...

Let me tell you a little tale about how my walk between SJPP and SdC went. I am slow. Not just a little slow, but very slow. I was always up and out the door fast, but while others would be in town sitting and having a refreshing drink, I was usually 4 or 5 kilometers shy. It just took me longer, and I took very few breaks. That said, I got into the rhythm of walking Brierley's stages. Often, I would break a long stage into two parts, or two long stages into three. Because it was November, there weren't many people on the road.

At one point, I ran into a young friend--a young pretty woman who typically raced off ahead of me. "How many kilometers are you doing a day?" she asked. I was a little taken aback, because she seemed to be implying that an old lady like me could not possibly be doing as well as a young sporty girl like her. I told her, "Hey, about as many as you--apparently--but I'm really, really slow, which is why I always stumble into the albergues later". So, never, ever assume that someone is using public transportation. If they are working their guts out--like I did--to walk the whole way, it is hurtful. I could not put a finger on why I found that whole interaction so hurtful for awhile, but when I figured out that she was implying that I was taking buses or something, I was really taken aback.

One on day, walking the Meseta, my friends Kay and Ann were ahead of me. I had promised Kay, who turned 74 or something like that on that day, that I was going to pick her up in a taxi for the last 5-6 kilometers of the day. Camino magic: someone pulled over and offered me a ride, so I took it and picked up Kay and Ann too!! That was the only time I used transport--and it was a 24 k day, and my birthday friend was delighted!

[QUOTE="SEB, post: 381009, member: 36903"

When I started this thread 'shame' was meant in a jokey way when probably 'embarrassment' was the more accurate word because no judgement was intended. But underlying the thread was also the more serious matter of having witnessed people who were bereft when forced to stop walking because of illness or injury. It is often on the buses, it seems, that suffering pilgrims can be found, and they are not happy that circumstances have thwarted their best efforts to walk the distance and forced them on to wheeled transport. There's no shame in that at all, surely just our compassion because we all know how it would/did feel if it happened to us. Those caragrinos parking outside bars and churches and rushing in to get a sello, well that's a different matter ...[/QUOTE]

Totally agree!!
For me it would definitely be the frustration, disappointment, sadness, sense of personal failure perhaps, but without doubt, no shame and hopefully no judgement.

I've read a few chapters from books and seen a couple of video interviews of celebrities and authors who have claimed to have walked the Camino and written about it. I gotta say, it sounded like they never did. Some whacky, far out stuff they spew forth.
Now that there is bad. To say you have walked it, but never really did and then to write about it claiming so? Lame....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, "embarrassed" is the word to describe how I felt for requiring that bus driver to take me a half kilometer.
In 2014 I stopped in Ponferrada and was looking for somewhere to stay besides the municipal. I stopped at the small tourist office there and asked for information in that regards. Just so happened that the hospitalera of a brand new private albergue was in there and said she had room. I agreed and she offered to drive me to it. It was only about 400-500 meters away. I declined her offer and insisted I'd walk. She gave a bit of a puzzled look and drove off. About half way to walking there I wondered why the heck I was adamant about walking and had turned down her kindness. Felt rather silly for having done so. Anyway, it was a very nice albergue and I'm glad I stayed there.

shame.
guilty of it; both personal and projected. the shame that takes a grip is the one you hold yourself in. *best to work it out and then LET GO OF IT

embarrassment.
the best kind is the kind you share at a loving gathering at the end of a hard day. *best to work it out with a shared giggle and then LET GO OF IT

two of the many gifts of the Camino.

Saw quite a bit on my Caminos. I hope they weren't injured because otherwise they are missing out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Let me tell you a little tale about how my walk between SJPP and SdC went. I am slow. Not just a little slow, but very slow. I was always up and out the door fast, but while others would be in town sitting and having a refreshing drink, I was usually 4 or 5 kilometers shy. It just took me longer, and I took very few breaks. That said, I got into the rhythm of walking Brierley's stages. Often, I would break a long stage into two parts, or two long stages into three. Because it was November, there weren't many people on the road.

At one point, I ran into a young friend--a young pretty woman who typically raced off ahead of me. "How many kilometers are you doing a day?" she asked. I was a little taken aback, because she seemed to be implying that an old lady like me could not possibly be doing as well as a young sporty girl like her. I told her, "Hey, about as many as you--apparently--but I'm really, really slow, which is why I always stumble into the albergues later". So, never, ever assume that someone is using public transportation. If they are working their guts out--like I did--to walk the whole way, it is hurtful. I could not put a finger on why I found that whole interaction so hurtful for awhile, but when I figured out that she was implying that I was taking buses or something, I was really taken aback.

One on day, walking the Meseta, my friends Kay and Ann were ahead of me. I had promised Kay, who turned 74 or something like that on that day, that I was going to pick her up in a taxi for the last 5-6 kilometers of the day. Camino magic: someone pulled over and offered me a ride, so I took it and picked up Kay and Ann too!! That was the only time I used transport--and it was a 24 k day, and my birthday friend was delighted!

You will love the West Highland Way :D

I've done bike Camino, donkey camino, and walking camino. On every single one I've skipped a section or two. Once with my lovely Dalie in a horsebox, rather than walk through a very spread out town. I've always respected the 100/200 km rule.
About to start camino 5, as a bicigrino. What i do is between me and God.
No, no shame. How many of the purists have walked from home, then walked back? Thought so.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No shame here! Getting out of Leon, we took a taxi to La Virgen del Camino, as our guide book recommended, and I'm glad we did as it was all city pavement pounding to get there.

Only 5 miles (which we'd already more than made up for in side trips and, yes, getting lost once or twice), but well worth it because it also allowed us to get to to the Molino Galochas B&B (a converted mill house) in Villavante, one of our favorite places on the trail!

By Castrojeriz, RadioCamino was going full tilt about a Spanish family seen arriving by taxi to the albergue ...I met that family at a convent in Carrion... Two sisters and a brother and two children if I recall correctly. Their dad /grand-dad had died a couple of months before, unable to complete his camino. And so, this was their way of trying to deal with their loss. As I got to know this lovely , thoughtful and articulate family, I was reminded once more, how richly complex we all are. Over and over, the camino tought me to reserve judgment, much to my delight!

No shame here! Getting out of Leon, we took a taxi to La Virgen del Camino, as our guide book recommended, and I'm glad we did as it was all city pavement pounding to get there.
That was the stretch that did Peg in although she kept walking that day. Then 5 days of not being able to walk after that. And then pretty slow going after that. She walked the rest of the way to Santiago except for busing past more pavement in Ponferrada.

€46,-
Long time ago, in my firs Camino, we submited our cases ( yes, cases) by taxi. I felt ashamed. Nex camino I was in "taliban" mode ;) No, taxi, only walking, carring my backpack, no rest day. Everybody was like a cheater to me... Them I met this old german guy crying in the albergue. He was injured, and a farmer had taken him in their tractor. He was crying becouse he felt like he was a cheater. I felt ashamed for my intransigence.
Now I Think each person may walk the way they think is O.K with them. After all, that famous guy, the king Alfonso II of Asturias made his pilgrimage suported by a thousand of soldiers, clerks, servants... in his litter, horse, sedan chair... and nobody doubth about his pilgrimage.

Last edited:
On my first CF while I was taking a short rest near one of the water fountains somewhere between Sarria and Santiago, I saw a taxi pull-up and stop on the road nearby. A tall athletic young lady, dressed in the finest modern pilgrim attire exited the taxi, removed her backpack from the trunk (boot), and put it on as the cab drove off. I swear she looked around to see if she had been observed doing this, and as I was the only one at the fountain and sitting in the grass, she did not see me. After checking her six, she proceeded down the Camino to the next town, which was only about 1 kilometer away. I saw her later in the town getting stamps at a bar and a church and stopping to stay in the albergue.
I'd also heard tales of other semi-pilgrims doing this, and deliberately dirtying up their footwear as to make them look well traveled.
T

I can recall a pilgrim on television telling the tale of a Spanish lady who, after a series of miscarriages, promised to St James that she would make her pilgrimage to SdC if the next one went full term. She then walked and carried her child all the way there and back again, refusing an offer by fellow pilgrims to pay for her fare home again. She kept her promise, whatever the weather.

Last summer I saw a fella get out of a taxi at the 100km marker. He then got a stamp at the next café. Jumped back in a taxi thereafter. I actually felt sorry for him but was genuinely puzzled as to the motivation
I never undestand the behaviour of people who pretend they've read books that they haven't read, even going so far as to buy and display them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

There's been a lot in this thread about pilgrims using transport, but imagine walking 30+km and finding no room at the inn, so to speak, because some little group has called ahead from, say, 15km further back on the camino and is just moseying along, probably not even carrying bags. That's gotta hurt. I guess the legitimacy of the pilgrim will remain a matter of personal conscience and one can hardly blame the locals for seeking what business opportunities they can. Maybe it's enough to just approach the camino with a readiness to face adversity. (rambling contribution...)

I felt shame, or was shamed because of my weight. I was laughed at in one albergue with some men miming my size with large hand movements and boisterous language. It was a terrible moment for me. I also felt a lot of shame because I would book a bed for the night in the next town in order to get a bottom bunk. I felt that I was too heavy for the top bunk and seeing how many of the top bunks had been "repaired" with packing tape I was really concerned about falling through (which I did hear happened more frequently than one expected...). So, in fact, I walked with a fair amount of shame, which is a shame in of itself.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked from SJPP to Santiago September-October 2015. By the time I got to Santo Domingo I was sick with bronchitis and had multilayered blisters on both heels. I took a rest day and spent some time in the Virgin Mary Chapel in Santo Domingo. I asked for help. I was on a timeline. I needed to get ahead but didn't know how to go about asking for a taxi or finding the bus stop. The next morning, I got up before dawn and walked the 7k or so to Grañon. While I waited for my cafe con leche a Canadian woman approached me with a look of concern and panic. She spoke no Spanish and needed to take a taxi to see a doctor in the next large town. I was able to arrange it for her and asked if I could share her taxi ride (I had asked for help in the chapel the day before, and there it was!). I rode with her to a medical center then asked to be taken to the far side of Burgos. Once let off, I waked another 22k (so, 29k total for the day) into Tardajos, still sick and blisters hurting. When the private 6 bed albergue opened, I was asked for my credential and asked where I had slept the night before. I answered honestly. I was berated by the hosteler for being a "false pilgrim" a judgement I had already berated myself with. I spoke to her and appealed to her compassion and asked her to see me as a true pilgrim. She was not willing to hear any of it. So I was kicked out and walked to another albergue, with the label of False Pilgrim, firmly attached. Little did I know that while I was responding compassionately to the judgmental albergue owner, a number of English speaking pilgrims were appalled at the treatment I received. At dinner that evening, one of the pilgrims said to me, "If Saint James arrived on a donkey, she would not have sheltered him, he took transportation." The simple kindness and reframing of the outward expression of my own self judgment allowed me to continue with my walk and complete it within my time frame.
My take away? Compassion for oneself and for others was, for me, a vital part of the journey.

There's been a lot in this thread about pilgrims using transport, but imagine walking 30+km and finding no room at the inn, so to speak, because some little group has called ahead from, say, 15km further back on the camino and is just moseying along, probably not even carrying bags. That's gotta hurt. I guess the legitimacy of the pilgrim will remain a matter of personal conscience and one can hardly blame the locals for seeking what business opportunities they can. Maybe it's enough to just approach the camino with a readiness to face adversity. (rambling contribution...)
Yeah, it does suck, and no, I don't blame the locals for taking advantage of the business opportunities, and true, you should always be prepared to get to a town where there are no available albergue beds.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I felt shame, or was shamed because of my weight. I was laughed at in one albergue with some men miming my size with large hand movements and boisterous language. It was a terrible moment for me. I also felt a lot of shame because I would book a bed for the night in the next town in order to get a bottom bunk. I felt that I was too heavy for the top bunk and seeing how many of the top bunks had been "repaired" with packing tape I was really concerned about falling through (which I did hear happened more frequently than one expected...). So, in fact, I walked with a fair amount of shame, which is a shame in of itself.
Esther, No! Do you know how much harder it is for someone carrying extra weight to walk this route in comparison to others? When we have fun on this forum weighing our items to minize the weights of our packs, even lowering it by a pound or two because it makes things so much easier, imagine then what it means to walk with extra body weight. Keep your head heald high, this is a true physical challenge for you, nothing to feel ashamed by. Those laughing compasionless and rude fools are the ones who should experiece shame. You just keep putting a foot in front of the other, with your chin up!

I walked from SJPP to Santiago September-October 2015. By the time I got to Santo Domingo I was sick with bronchitis and had multilayered blisters on both heels. I took a rest day and spent some time in the Virgin Mary Chapel in Santo Domingo. I asked for help. I was on a timeline. I needed to get ahead but didn't know how to go about asking for a taxi or finding the bus stop. The next morning, I got up before dawn and walked the 7k or so to Grañon. While I waited for my cafe con leche a Canadian woman approached me with a look of concern and panic. She spoke no Spanish and needed to take a taxi to see a doctor in the next large town. I was able to arrange it for her and asked if I could share her taxi ride (I had asked for help in the chapel the day before, and there it was!). I rode with her to a medical center then asked to be taken to the far side of Burgos. Once let off, I waked another 22k (so, 29k total for the day) into Tardajos, still sick and blisters hurting. When the private 6 bed albergue opened, I was asked for my credential and asked where I had slept the night before. I answered honestly. I was berated by the hosteler for being a "false pilgrim" a judgement I had already berated myself with. I spoke to her and appealed to her compassion and asked her to see me as a true pilgrim. She was not willing to hear any of it. So I was kicked out and walked to another albergue, with the label of False Pilgrim, firmly attached. Little did I know that while I was responding compassionately to the judgmental albergue owner, a number of English speaking pilgrims were appalled at the treatment I received. At dinner that evening, one of the pilgrims said to me, "If Saint James arrived on a donkey, she would not have sheltered him, he took transportation." The simple kindness and reframing of the outward expression of my own self judgment allowed me to continue with my walk and complete it within my time frame.
My take away? Compassion for oneself and for others was, for me, a vital part of the journey.
Wow, what a harpy that hospitalera was. Lot's of people leapfrog a bit on the CF due to time constraints. Never heard of them being chastised for it, especially at a private albergue. Heck, I've gone to private albergues where there were enormous piles of heavy, wheeled luggage that had been sent ahead and the pilgrims arrive later on. Later you see the pilgrims clean and fresh in regular clothes, reeking of perfume and cologne, ha ha.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Esther,
The shame lies within them, not you.
Buen Camino

In 2014 I stopped in Ponferrada and was looking for somewhere to stay besides the municipal. I stopped at the small tourist office there and asked for information in that regards. Just so happened that the hospitalera of a brand new private albergue was in there and said she had room. I agreed and she offered to drive me to it. It was only about 400-500 meters away. I declined her offer and insisted I'd walk. She gave a bit of a puzzled look and drove off. About half way to walking there I wondered why the heck I was adamant about walking and had turned down her kindness. Felt rather silly for having done so. Anyway, it was a very nice albergue and I'm glad I stayed there.
Hey Mark, I'll give a "shameless" plug for Albergue Alea in Ponferrada where we shared a wonderful paella and some great wine that night. That day I had walked down the hill from el Acebo and walked across Ponferrada to the Templar Castle twice because of their odd opening hours; that being said, no one ever gives themselves any credit for the kms/hours walked around town to sight see.
I will be walking my sixth Camino this summer at the age of 70. I am certain I know every stone and pebble on the path and I know what I want to revisit, what I don't want to revisit and the new places I want to visit. I have learned over 5 years I don't like (actually hate) walking a driving rainstorm, like the one I was caught in between Betanzos and Bruma after walking more than 25km when a kind man offered me a ride in a blinding cold rainstorm. The same is true for a rainy early morning bus ride from Los Arcos to Viana with at least 20 other pilgrims and missing one of my favorite place, Torres de Rio.
I walk to and where I want to walk, solvitur ambulando. Walking the Caminos is not a competition.
This year my plan was to walk from Huesca to Santiago, but then I was asked to serve as a hospitalero for 10 days at San Anton after I purchased my plane tickets. Guess what, I will be depending on some form of transportation in the 45 days I am in Spain. No shame!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Mark, I'll give a "shameless" plug for Albergue Alea in Ponferrada where we shared a wonderful paella and some great wine that night. That day I had walked down the hill from el Acebo and walked across Ponferrada to the Templar Castle twice because of their odd opening hours; that being said, no one ever gives themselves any credit for the kms/hours walked around town to sight see.
I will be walking my sixth Camino this summer at the age of 70. I am certain I know every stone and pebble on the path and I know what I want to revisit, what I don't want to revisit and the new places I want to visit. I have learned over 5 years I don't like (actually hate) walking a driving rainstorm, like the one I was caught in between Betanzos and Bruma after walking more than 25km when a kind man offered me a ride in a blinding cold rainstorm. The same is true for a rainy early morning bus ride from Los Arcos to Viana with at least 20 other pilgrims and missing one of my favorite place, Torres de Rio.
I walk to and where I want to walk, solvitur ambulando. Walking the Caminos are not a competition.
This year my plan was to walk from Huesca to Santiago, but then I was asked to serve as a hospitalero for 10 days at San Anton after I purchased my plane tickets. Guess what, I will be depending on some form of transportation in the 45 days I am in Spain. No shame!
Yes, that be the place Don. Great paella dinner, good vino and a nice breakfast the next morning. Highly recommended.
I'm with you. I don't care for walking in downpours and if possible see no point in it. Even a dog or cat is smart enough to get out the rain. ;) Last year on the Camino I cut short one walking day by about 10k because the rain never let up. I got to a town, there was a nice private albergue with room and in I went.
Really cool that you are doing the hospitalero thing again.

Yes, that be the place Don. Great paella dinner, good vino and a nice breakfast the next morning. Highly recommended.
I'm with you. I don't care for walking in downpours and if possible see no point in it. Even a dog or cat is smart enough to get out the rain. ;) Last year on the Camino I cut short one walking day by about 10k because the rain never let up. I got to a town, there was a nice private albergue with room and in I went.
Really cool that you are doing the hospitalero thing again.
Gracias, amigo!

BTW, I will freely admit I have only walked from Leon to Virgin del Camino once. I've used the bus every other time.
And why not? Having said that, when I did it the bus driver was snippy. A smidgen of transportation breaks up the monotony.

€46,-
I find the most annoying taxigrims are the ones that SWEAR they'd never do it . . . but!

In 2012 we met a pilgrim in Trabadelo, let's call him Paul from Manchester, who ranted at length about a party of French people who were taking turns in ferrying each the whole way in their cars while pretending to walk (we saw them in Santiago getting their Compostelas: "Did you walk the whole way?" "Yes, every step" - with a straight face!).

Went we all hit the road Paul lagged behind for a second coffee (and to try and pull a young Kiwi lass). Imagine our surprise at 11am to walk into a bar and find him ahead of us!

At least he had the decency to blush, pretend not to see us and drop his head while attending to his boot laces!

If, for whatever reason (like hating the Meseta ;)) you jump a bus or taxi at least be honest and admit it!

The only reason I do´nt like cheaters is the lack of beds during high season. But I usually never walk the French Way during summertime, september and first weeks of october. I dont like crowds of pilgrims running, getting up in the middle of the nigth and walking again competing for a bed, for a chair, for...
When walking in summertime I prefer other ways less busy, and them the problem its not a problem. I said to myself "Let cheaters with their shames, their regrets, and their tricks. If they feel themselves like cheaters, their sins are their penances. If they dont feel they are cheating, maybe they dont." Not my problem.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I walked from my home in Wales to St Jean Pied de Port - taking a ferry from England to France. Only a little ashamed at cheating by taking a boat. Sadly we insular Brits (and Aussies and Yanks and Kiwis and...) can never be "genuine" pilgrims unless we are REALLY good at swimming :) On what should have been my last day I had a fall 20km from St Jean and suffered a prolapsed spinal disc. Luckily kind people called a taxi to take me to the outstanding albergue Beilari where I recuperated for 4 days before flying home. Not in the least ashamed of taking that taxi. But I did return six months later to walk the 20km I had missed. If I had not done so then for me my journey would always have been intolerably incomplete. I believe that we are all free to make our journeys in the way we choose. But I personally would find no satisfaction in routinely skipping stages along the way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh boy @esther black how I do sympathise! But not "shame" please, only let yourself be the judge, not others. Only you can walk in your shoes. I find that walking the Camino is a wonderful way of getting fit and learning what a marvellous, working, useful body I have. Only since walking the Camino have I started to value it properly. On my first Camino (2001) I was extremely overweight and I learnt the meaning of the word "penance" - a completely unexpected lesson and a very catholic concept for a protestant - I was paying for every extra unnecessary calorie I had eaten and every extra kilo my body was carrying. Since that first camino my body has gradually lost those unnecessary kilos, almost without effort, and I think it is a reflection of deep changes that occurred in my relationship with myself.

Whilst waiting in Leon at the albergue I met a man who I had met in Ronsevalles on my first day of walking. He was shocked that I had arrived before him and when I told him I had taken the train from Sahagon to Leon due to an injured knee, I felt he was extremely judgemental of me, stating I was not a true pilgrim if I did not walk the whole way. He had no idea what I was going through. After a 2 day rest I continued to Santiago and was extremely proud that I had walked 750 km on my own, at the age of 58. I was so glad I did not meet this man again as he put a damper on my day. In taking the train for a short time help, enabled me to continue for the long term

You never really know another person's whole story.
And it really doesn't matter. Everyone just does what they can do.
If we would all just mind our own business and not that of others,
the world would be a kinder place.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first time we went to Santiago was by car, which inspired us to walk, so don't judge the honeymoon couple. Also they were probably using paid accommodation. This year we again will have a car along parts of the Camino, to enable us to reach places that were just too far to divert to on foot. Again only using private accommodation, some on but others just off the Camino (Norte and Primitivo). In some places there is limited accommodation and a casa rural on the Camino is the only option so we hope to see fellow pilgrims there. No shame in that but some of the comments in this thread make me feel that we will be 'judged' for taking a 'pilgrim's' bed when the truth is that the beds are there because of previous and current 'tourists' enabling the proprietor to make a living.:)
Please note that I am not referring to albergues either municipal or private.

In Milles fois à Compostelle, pelerins du moyen age, there is a quote attributed to King Alfonso X and it goes something like this: the pilgrimage must be made by pilgrims with a lot of devotion, speaking and acting in goodness, not hurting others, without partaking in commerce and lazyness. That is from the French text, but the original quote is in the footnotes, and while in Old Catellan it does add that the pilgrim should arrive at the posada (albergue) early to prevent injuries and have a better pilgrimage.

There is also a preface to a 14th century poem, Die Jakobsbruder, in which the author says there are different kinds of pilgrims and that God helps those who make the pilgrimage with pure intentions whereas those who did not have such intentions really should stay home.

Even back in the days people had their clear opinions on how things should be. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Esther - you look beautiful in your avatar photo! As others have mentioned, shame on those men!

Most folks have a story. Personaly I don't really like the terms 'taxigrino' or 'tourgrino'... maybe it's me but I feel that the expression itself creates a kind of elitism... but I also appreciate that's my problem.

I took a taxi from Lorca to Estella on my first camino. I shared it with one lady who'd had enough, decided the camino just wasn't for her and was going to visit her son in the US and a much older lady who was exhausted from the heat and wanted to get to Estella to meet her friends. I had a foot full of blisters and walked from the taxi to the hostel in my socked feet. I stayed in my little room above the main square for 2 days and then carried on to Santiago.

I guess some folks would have seen us travelling and jumped to all kinds of conclusions... most would have probably been wrong.

I agree that I hate queue jumpers and unfairness... but I'm learning that that's for me to deal ... I can't change it. My husband's favourite expression is 'it is what it is'... and it really that annoys me when he says it at just the wrong time :D

p.s. on my second camino I fell over just before Lorca and arrived with a blood soaked t-shirt, a black eye and a fat bruised swollen limp (amongst other things) I looked a bit of a mess but I did manage to make it to Estella... maybe I should take a taxi again next time I go! :eek:

Oh Dear! It seems that it is the fate of some threads to cause offence/discomfort when that was not intended by the OP.

Ahhhs I would agree totally with what you say about people minding their own business if 'not minding your own business' is understood as judging others, but it can also be an expression of human connectedness, the sort of communication that lends itself to making the world a 'kinder place'. There were many instances when folk saw fit to check that I was okay when I stopped for a rest or something to eat on the Camino. I was an older woman alone and they wanted to make sure I was safe. I appreciated very much that they saw fit to not 'mind their own business' but to feel a connection with another human being engaged in the same long journey with all its trials and joys. In the modern world 'minding our own business' can mean metaphorically passing by on the other side of the road when another person needs help, whether that is when we witness hate speech or ridicule.

Tia Valeria, as I walked the Camino last year, two friends travelled the same journey - more or less - by car and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Those road signs that announce the Santiago de Compostela route are there to facilitate and encourage tourists travelling by car, who in turn, provide, as you rightly say, income for the accommodation proprietors, especially for those whose premises are a few kilometres from the Way itself. I am sorry that this thread led to your feeling that you would be judged, I have always valued your posts especially because you often provide a different perspective. My comments about the caragrinos rushing in to get sellos was tongue in cheek, but there was a truth there about honesty - I think honesty is a good thing.:)

Very often on this forum members will speak of 'walking your own Camino' and it prompts a myriad of interpretations, the good, the bad and the ugly.:p If someone steals from, or causes injury - emotional or physical - to another, then we all understand that is wrong. When we say this are we being judgemental or acknowledging that the communities/ societies/ countries of which we are a part have established rules to safeguard us as groups and individuals? I feel like that about the Camino communities, that we look out for each other, that we would risk embarrassment or be rebuffed by checking on another pilgrim to ensure they were okay. We share on this forum some very personal and emotional experiences, not as I understand it a narcissistic indulgence of 'look at me', but because the sharing is thought to alleviate fears, promote human understanding and bring us closer together.

Thank you Ivar and moderators for enabling all this to happen.

Oh Dear! It seems that it is the fate of some threads to cause offence/discomfort when that was not intended by the OP.

oooh @SEB ... please I hope that's not how I sounded? I do re-read my posts as my husband says I have an odd way of expressing myself sometimes :D

I think that this kind of thread is good... it's makes us all evaluate how we think and helps us to understand a little about how others think too... long may they continue... and thanks for the thread! :)

LesBrass I really like your posts, you express yourself so well. I was concerned that my comments about those rushing from car to bar for sellos that caused offence. The older I get the more I realise that I am a work in progress with no foreseeable completion date in sight - and I am in my late sixties - so I can always learn from others and need to be told if I have unwittingly said something that caused anyone to feel uncomfortable about their comments or experiences of walking the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
:) @SEB and @LesBrass - I appreciate your comments, and it wasn't your posts that came over as maybe judgemental. It is always good to air different points of view and I would be happy to admit that seeing folk get out of a mini-bus and walk a few yards would be highly annoying (saw some in Palas de Rei) whether they had booked beds or not. It does seem that pressure is leading to more booking/taxi-ing to find beds.
On the Inglés we had the car return us to the pick up point next day, no shame felt, and many others do the same on that particular stage. It made it possible for me to make my Camino - both times.
Buen Camino folk

I think doing the Camino by car is not a pilgrimage. Said that...how said that is not correct been a tourist in the Camino de Santiago? Its perfectly OK if you are no using pilgrims public facilities. No cheating in that.

As with many other aspects of life people only deceive themselves if they say "I walked the camino" when in fact they didn't.

All that is important is you know you walked all the way. And that's to your credit.

I think doing the Camino by car is not a pilgrimage. Said that...how said that is not correct been a tourist in the Camino de Santiago? Its perfectly OK if you are no using pilgrims public facilities. No cheating in that.
Those who first visit Santiago by car may well then walk, as we did. They may also still be travelling with a pilgrim attitude but not able to walk for one reason or another. The honeymoon couple will have so much to look back on I trust. There is room for us all and I agree that when using a car we should not expect to use the pilgrims' public facilities, hence our private bookings this year.We do not aim to reach Santiago but will turn back eastwards after Casa da Ponti (Ferreira).
I was much encouraged by the sermon at the English Mass when we were told that even though we have completed our pilgrimage to Santiago we continue as pilgrims in our way through life.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Besides the "head and feet, " "I guess it all comes down to where your heart is", I can hear my late father's voice saying to me as a teen. I pray that I may stay focused on my own personal reasons for attempting the pilgrimage. Pride goeth before a fall and I hope to be humbled along the way without a fall, literally. Some people always look for the easy the path, but only the one wearing the shoes knows their own footprints. I can only imagine that the honeymooning couple mentioned was collecting souvenirs for memories of their honeymoon in the same way that my son collects stamps from National Parks on our camping adventures.
I have a clergy friend who is interested in going at the same time I do, but physical limitations will not allow her to walk. If she goes, she will not travel by foot, but her heart will be in the right place. No shame there. A certificate is not the real reward.

Besides the "head and feet, " "I guess it all comes down to where your heart is", I can hear my late father's voice saying to me as a teen. I pray that I may stay focused on my own personal reasons for attempting the pilgrimage. Pride goeth before a fall and I hope to be humbled along the way without a fall, literally. Some people always look for the easy the path, but only the one wearing the shoes knows their own footprints. I can only imagine that the honeymooning couple mentioned was collecting souvenirs for memories of their honeymoon in the same way that my son collects stamps from National Parks on our camping adventures.
I have a clergy friend who is interested in going at the same time I do, but physical limitations will not allow her to walk. If she goes, she will not travel by foot, but her heart will be in the right place. No shame there. A certificate is not the real reward.
Our posts crossed Susie, we will put it down to great minds...:):)

I, also, am overweight and was very slow on the Camino. I never had anyone make fun of me directly, but there were a few times I felt judged. After returning home, I've had people express surprise that "someone like me" could really have walked all the way (Camino Portuguese). I did use a taxi a couple of times -- once after a particularly harrowing day from Valenca to Porrino, and another time when it was raining heavily. I didn't really care if people noticed or not about the transport -- I wasn't staying in the public alburgues anyway -- and I did what I felt best. *shrug*

Funniest thing: I gained 5 pounds on the Way. :) Must've been all that wine!

It is interesting reading this thread. My wife is recovering from knee surgery and I am recovering from a motorbike accident. We are training for our Camino we start walking on March 17th. My wife and I were talking on our 16 mile training walk this last Saturday and she was questioning her ability to walk daily from SJPDP. As I said to her and I believe it this is not a contest and it is our Camino and no one else's. If we are able to walk the whole 720k or if we have to bus or taxi part of it is all ok. We are not competing. We will do the best we can who can ask for more?

It is interesting. On my first outing on the CF, I started in SJPP. Dind't know forums existed, had never heard of Brierly, I had a lovely guide by Pili Pali Press and the two sheets the Friends of the C. give you in SJPP. Sure there were days I thought the destination village was moving away from me as I approached it, but never did it occur to me you could bypass sections, jump ahead. And you know what? I was able to do it.

Now that I know about back carrying cos, buses, trains, it all spoils things as I know fight against myself none stop: You can do it, no - you're tired, finish by taxi, have your bag carried.

Knowing about all these ways to cut corners has made my Caminos more of a struggle, a head struggle. Feet hurt, no matter what. But these ways of cutting corners (and I am not talking here if I have a broken limb or brochitis) have become a way to let myself down. So I struggle with "It's your Camino". What a way to let ypurself down. It is not my Camino if I have not given it my best shot.

Giving it your best shot. No matter what that is. To me this is what this pilgrimage with its rules and traditions is. Dig, dig deep, and yet deeper.

So these days, post Plantar Fasciitis, I plot etapas to make sure I will not have to sleep on bales of hay on the road, if I'm lucky, yet feel I am letting myself down when I see 15, 20, 16, 20, 26 on my spreadsheet. And being more than a tad round I know I am really missing out on a good oppportunity to get fit by thinking taxi, bus and train. 15' 21' 17, 18' who am I kidding? If my next Camino was my first one I would do 20' 22s, 25s. No, not 35s!

But it is there, in my mind, always. Looking for comfort, forgetting I think every day about these walking breaks only to wish I could turn them into bussing breaks, is not "My" Camino. My Camino is what "I" can make of it when all of "me" pitches in, not just my lazy brain.

That is fine if there is accommodation within your walking limit. if not you either sleep under a haystack or find an alternative (taxi once 10kms, bus once 10kms, on the overlong stages on the Primitivo). It is not about 'my Camino' but about making the Camino possible. Within the 100kms there is usually enough accommodation to manage. Even so on the Inglés the break at Casa Julia was a necessity, returning to Casa Julia to complete the stage next day. Many people do this to make their Camino achievable, although the new albergues will make it possible to break the stage just before Casa Julia. We each do what we are able to do and more. My realistic walking limit is 15km although I have managed 20+ with a rest day after and a short day (8km) after the second occasion on the Primitivo. To walk 24km+ was not an option.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.