• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Stamps

Joeysquibb

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
Sorry if this seems like i'm asking a silly question, but it has just been playing on my mind and i've been wondering about it:

When I leave SJPP on tuesday do I get my first stamp there, or do I pick the first one up from Roncesvalles ? I'm staying at the Ramuntcho.

Also, in general, do we pick up stamps as we check in to accommodation, or as we leave?

And LASTLY, when we get to out chosen destination for the day, do we pay for the beds for the night and receive some form of receipt so we can go off and enjoy the sights without fear of losing our place to the pilgrims behind us (I know it seems a shame to be worrying about this, but I seem to be reading more and more about competition for beds)

Any answers greatly appreciated, thanks everyone,

Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have always collected a stamp before we leave home (from the Post Office) as well as our church. Then on the ferry.
After that we collect stamps form our first night (SJPP for you) and then when we arrive each night. This is done when checking in and paying. Most places you can expect to pay on entry, and yes we did get a ticket to say we had paid (but that was in Galicia).
In Galicia we also asked for a stamp during the day at a cafe/bar stop to give us our 2 sellos a day in the last 100kms.
This was on the Primitivo/Francés, and everyone has sellos, unlike the early parts of the Norte where we have signatures now for some places :)

It's funny the things that come to mind and make us worry :)
Unlike Tia Valeria I like to get my credencial at the place I start and then they automatically stamp it, it depend where you get your credencial/passport from.

re beds: the hospitalero/a will know how many people are in the Albergue, usually there is a register to fill in, though not always. Some places allocate a bed, some you just choose your own, then you put your sleeping bag on it, if you are not carrying a sleeping bag you would need to put some clothes on the bed, to mark your territory. Don't put your back-pack on the bed.
A very few, small albergues are unmanned untill the hospitalera turns up, there you just find a bed with nothing on it and make it yours :)
Buen camino
Sue

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the replies!

This pits my mind at ease ha! More than anything it is that i've just finished university and i'v had a week of doing absolutely nothing in the run up to leaving for my pilgrimage - this leave a LOT of time for over thinking ha! I'm sure i'll be in the swing of things in no time, thanks again!

Joe

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Our credenciales are from CSJ - UK, so it makes sense to stamp them at home. The year Terry used a Spanish credencial, as Sulu says, it was stamped when he got it, in the Cámara Santa at Oviedo.
Next year they will be stamped at the first days start, not from home again.

Have a great Camino Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
Hi guys, thinking about doing the Camino Frances in September. What experiences have people had with weather and crowds and accommodation during this time? I would plan for about 30 days which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.