• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stamps- missing a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sssnek

Time of past OR future Camino
9/20/23 to 10/27/23 (hopefully)
Hello!! I started in SJPP on September 20th (34 days ago), and I passed through Sarria today so this is a two parter:

1) I’m missing some days of stamps from when I stayed in donativos without stamps or for whatever other reason. 9/21, 10/1, and 10/4. Is this going to be an issue?

2) I’m staying in Morgade tonight, which seems to be 101ish km from Santiago. I only have one stamp for today, which is fine right? It’s tomorrow that I have to start two stamp days?

Sorry for the maybe dumb questions, I just get a bit freaked out by lack of specificity of the “after Sarria” talk, and also would really like those first 34 days to be on record. I worked hard for them!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Normally if you stay in a donativo without a stamp (like at Granon), you are encouraged to get a stamp at the local bar. The stamps further than 100 km out are more for the distance certificate. The stamps (2 per day) between 100 km and Santiago are for the Compostella.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No one will care about anything other than two stamps per day during the last 100km (not “after sarria). And while you MIGHT get someone at the Pilgrim Office who overlooks even that limited requirement, you might not so just follow the simple rule. Congrats on nearing the end of your journey

Based on what people who've worked in the Pilgrim Office (Flog and TJAndreo, if my memory serves) have posted on other threads ....

....you're not missing *consecutive* stamps. That's good. For more than 100km and for the distance certificate, they (and MikeJS says the same), you should be fine. That's what the "34 days on record" actually equates to.
....as J Willhaus and the Pilgrim's Office own website says, the key for the Compostela (and this is from the Pilgrim's Office own website) is 2 stamps per day from 100km until the end, certifiying that you came on foot (or by horse).

The Compostela does not state which route you came in on, or how far you walked, other than the statement in Latin that you were verified to have completed the requirement for the Compostela (which is, again, 2 stamps per day from 100km down to the end. The Pilgrim's Office puts the completion stamp in your credencial).

BL: Get your stamps, you should be fine.

Some say you need 2 stamps a day from the 100km pint but I have never bothered
Not some say, the Pilgrim Office say so.

You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As everyone knows, on arrival at USA Border Control the proper answer to the question “What is the purpose of your visit?” is: “The overthrow of the United States government and the introduction of libertarian Communism”. Similarly the answer to the question, “do you have a criminal record” in Australia is “is it still compulsory?”

Any one who does not actually want to receive a Compostela is at liberty to only obtain one sello a day between Sarria / Morgade and Santiago and cause some distress to the poor volunteer on the desk who has to decline them.

Just for the hell of it I’ll mangle an old saw: God does not count your steps; Santiago will not weigh your pack and St Peter definitely doesn’t have time to read the paperwork. The Pilgrim Souvenir Office will be as accommodating as they can

I'm going to put the cat among the pigeons here. I didn't get two stamps a day from Sarria, only one a day. I had walked from Le Puy en Velay and had two full pilgrim passports. The guy at the pilgrim office literally unfolded both passports, gave them a glance over and then congratulated me on my achievement and gave me the compostella. Maybe I got lucky and he was supposed to check closely that from Sarria I had got two a day, but he didn't. I guess he took it in good faith I had done that last bit honestly. I was prepared to be refused on the two stamp thing though.

I'm going to put the cat among the pigeons here. I didn't get two stamps a day from Sarria, only one a day. I had walked from Le Puy en Velay and had two full pilgrim passports. The guy at the pilgrim office literally unfolded both passports, gave them a glance over and then congratulated me on my achievement and gave me the compostella. Maybe I got lucky and he was supposed to check closely that from Sarria I had got two a day, but he didn't. I guess he took it in good faith I had done that last bit honestly. I was prepared to be refused on the two stamp thing though.

I had a similar experience this year having walked the VDLP from Seville, and then the Invierno.
For the distance certificate they asked me how far it was.....

But in the last 100 kms I made sure I got two stamps per day.

Only getting 1 stamp per day in the last 100 kms......
It's like carrying your poles on a plane.
Be prepared to lose them.(or have to check them in)

The rules on stamps in the last 100 kms are quite clear.
You may get away with it, you may not.
Why gamble?
It's not hard to do.

Well actually on the Invierno it can be!
But I managed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Sssnek,

Like others, I have received a Compostela when I didn't collect two stamps per day for the last 100 km. I don't suggest you do this. I personally would be appalled were I to do so and find that you had been refused a Compostela having taken my advice, and not followed the quite clear requirements listed on the Pilgrim Office website.

I suggest that if any of the people who have had this experience and are now implying it is okay are willing to be with you when you go to the Pilgrim Office, then their advice might be worth considering. Otherwise they are completely unaccountable for the advice they provide. It is clearly contrary to that given by the Pilgrim Office, and there is really no great difficulty doing what they (the Pilgrim Office) ask.

Last edited:
My only advice is to get as many stamps as you can every day and in Santiago before you get to the pilgrim's office. Just load those credentials up with as many as will fit.

I'm going to put the cat among the pigeons here. I didn't get two stamps a day from Sarria, only one a day. I had walked from Le Puy en Velay
Just curious: What was your reason for getting only one stamp a day from Sarria onwards? Forgetfulness? Was it too hard to find places for a stamp during the day? Was it a long time ago and you did not know about this requirement from the Pilgrim Office?

There used to be a popular narrative that longer-distance pilgrims did not need two daily stamps but by now, in 2023, this has been widely confirmed to be an urban legend. All pilgrims are equal when it comes to obtaining a Compostela and the text merely confirms that the holder visited the tomb of the Apostle and walked at least 100 km to get there, nothing more.

Besides, the majority of people will walk the last 100 km in 5 days or less. We are speaking of a grand total of 5 stamps max in addition to the stamps that you get at your accommodation ... it's not a big deal, or is it?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had a similar experience this year having walked the VDLP from Seville, and then the Invierno.
For the distance certificate they asked me how far it was.....

But in the last 100 kms I made sure I got two stamps per day.

Only getting 1 stamp per day in the last 100 kms......
It's like carrying your poles on a plane.
Be prepared to lose them.(or have to check them in)

The rules on stamps in the last 100 kms are quite clear.
You may get away with it, you may not.
Why gamble?
It's not hard to do.

Well actually on the Invierno it can be!
But I managed.
I’m planning on avoiding Sarria by taking the Invierno next time. Just how difficult was it to get the two stamps a day? Any pointers on getting them are welcome.

Just curious: What was your reason for getting only one stamp a day from Sarria onwards? Forgetfulness? Was it too hard to find places for a stamp during the day? Was it a long time ago and you did not know about this requirement from the Pilgrim Office?

There used to be a popular narrative that longer-distance pilgrims did not need two daily stamps but by now, in 2023, this has been widely confirmed to be an urban legend. All pilgrims are equal when it comes to obtaining a Compostela and the text merely confirms that the holder visited the tomb of the Apostle and walked at least 100 km to get there, nothing more.

Besides, the majority of people will walk the last 100 km in 5 days or less. We are speaking of a grand total of 5 stamps max in addition to the stamps that you get at your accommodation ... it's not a big deal, or is it?
I'm sensing a bit of spite in this comment, but im going to give that the benefit of the doubt. I merely shared my experience. Like I said, I was prepared to be refused my compostella and I'm not suggesting it's the wise thing to do. I've never suggested that pilgrims are not equal when it comes to receiving the compostella, so I'm not sure why that's relevant?

I'm sensing a bit of spite in this comment
Not spite, but, yes, a certain irritation with this never-ending topic. Perhaps you were merely joking when you started your comment with "I'm going to put the cat among the pigeons here"?

When the OP posted her question, she was in Morgade, about 1 km before reaching the 100 km waymarker. She merely wanted confirmation that, yes, from the next day onwards she should get two stamps per day for applying for a Compostela ("I’m staying in Morgade tonight, which seems to be 101ish km from Santiago. I only have one stamp for today, which is fine right? It’s tomorrow that I have to start two stamp days?")
I've never suggested that pilgrims are not equal when it comes to receiving the compostella, so I'm not sure why that's relevant?
That the Compostela is awarded for walking the last 100 km before Santiago and for visiting the tomb of the Apostle - I meant it as a general reminder. In case it gets overlooked among the many comments ...

And I was genuinely curious to know why you did not get the additional 4 or 5 stamps just before Santiago. But you don't have to share the reason with us, of course.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Sssnek,

Like others, I have received a Compostela when I didn't collect two stamps per day for the last 100 km. I don't suggest you do this. I personally would be appalled were I to do so and find that you had been refused a Compostela having taken my advice, and not followed the quite clear requirements listed on the Pilgrim Office website.

I suggest that if any of the people who have had this experience and are now implying it is okay are willing to be with you when you go to the Pilgrim Office, then their advice might be worth considering. Otherwise they are completely unaccountable for the advice they provide. It is clearly contrary to that given by the Pilgrim Office, and there is really no great difficulty doing what they ask.
Worked as a volunteer at the Pilgrims Office this year and will hopefully do so again next year. I would encourage the pilgrims to take the requirement of 2 stamps a day seriously
It is not reasonable to leave it up to the individual volunteer to decide whether mercy should prevail.
It is not difficult to get two stamps. We then take breaks along the way.

Not spite, but, yes, a certain irritation with this never-ending topic. Perhaps you were merely joking when you started your comment with "I'm going to put the cat among the pigeons here"?

When the OP posted her question, she was in Morgade, about 1 km before reaching the 100 km waymarker. She merely wanted confirmation that, yes, from the next day onwards she should get two stamps per day for applying for a Compostela ("I’m staying in Morgade tonight, which seems to be 101ish km from Santiago. I only have one stamp for today, which is fine right? It’s tomorrow that I have to start two stamp days?")

That the Compostela is awarded for walking the last 100 km before Santiago and for visiting the tomb of the Apostle - I meant it as a general reminder. In case it gets overlooked among the many comments ...

And I was genuinely curious to know why you did not get the additional 4 or 5 stamps just before Santiago. But you don't have to share the reason with us, of course.
I’m not the original poster, but my reason for not getting two stamps was that I didn’t know about it! I did the Camino Frances 11 years ago, without the benefit of this forum, Facebook or any online information. I had no phone with me either. I got my Compostela without any problems.

I’m not the original poster, but my reason for not getting two stamps was that I didn’t know about it! I did the Camino Frances 11 years ago, without the benefit of this forum, Facebook or any online information. I had no phone with me either. I got my Compostela without any problems.
I imagine that things were different 11 years ago! I don't even know if the two stamps during the final 100 km was a requirement then.
Nowadays the requirement for two stamps per day in that final stretch is actually printed on credentials issued by the Pilgrims Office.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

If it helps, Katherina, I don't double stamp (never have) because it's a policy predicated on the believe that without the rule- everyone (you, me and doug ; ) - would hop a taxi rather than walk. This is not only absurd, but adds undue stress ( real life stress from pilgrims on the camino) and to complicate matters - is simply not enforced.

Is this a good policy then? No, it's not. Is it well considered and implemented? Nope. Will forum members continue to push the narrative that you will lose your compostela without a double stamp? Undoubtedly ; )

But it is written on every single page in the credencial….

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I imagine that things were different 11 years ago! I don't even know if the two stamps during the final 100 km was a requirement then.
Nowadays the requirement for two stamps per day in that final stretch is actually printed on credentials issued by the Pilgrims Office.
Right. And nowadays it’s actually not difficult to get more than one stamp. Every bar and restaurant has a stamp. It can be a fun activity to collect stamps.

I have never got 2 stamps a day as I simply can’t be bothered to stop and invariably queue to get them! Never been fused whether I got the distance cert and/or compostella but always have………...

Hello!! I started in SJPP on September 20th (34 days ago), and I passed through Sarria today so this is a two parter:

1) I’m missing some days of stamps from when I stayed in donativos without stamps or for whatever other reason. 9/21, 10/1, and 10/4. Is this going to be an issue?

2) I’m staying in Morgade tonight, which seems to be 101ish km from Santiago. I only have one stamp for today, which is fine right? It’s tomorrow that I have to start two stamp days?

Sorry for the maybe dumb questions, I just get a bit freaked out by lack of specificity of the “after Sarria” talk, and also would really like those first 34 days to be on record. I worked hard for them!!
GIven that you can prove you walked from SJPdP, I would not worry about a few missing stamps. But do start getting two per day until you finish. The requirement starts at Sarria. Ideally, you should have two stamps AT SARRIA, and for each day thereafter.

Most of us find that getting one stamp where we sleep, and just one other at a cafe, bar or restaurant along the day's route of march, is an easy way to do this.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never got 2 stamps a day as I simply can’t be bothered to stop and invariably queue to get them! Never been fused whether I got the distance cert and/or compostella but always have………...
@MikeJS, that's a straightforward answer and I appreciate it. :)

I am not privy to the considerations that caused the Cathedral Chapter and the Pilgrim Office to introduce the two stamps rule for the last 100 km. I don't know when it was introduced. I vaguely remember that there was a text on the Pilgrim Office website once that the Compostela is a recognition of the physical effort that pilgrims make by following the "traditional" way of walking to Compostela. If I were to speculate which I can do with the best of them ;) I'd say it is an educational measure to raise and emphasise awareness that you ought to walk indeed the whole 100 km.

The OP asked two simple questions:
  • For the Distance Certificate from SJPP, does it matter that there are some days without a stamp in my credencial before I reached the 100 km limit?
  • For the Compostela, from which point onwards am I expected to obtain 2 stamps?
One might think that there are two simple answers to these two simple questions but, surprise, now we have already claims and counterclaims and off-tangent claims, too. :cool:

@Sssnek,

I suggest that if any of the people who have had this experience and are now implying it is okay are willing to be with you when you go to the Pilgrim Office, then their advice might be worth considering. Otherwise they are completely unaccountable for the advice they provide. It is clearly contrary to that given by the Pilgrim Office, and there is really no great difficulty doing what they
Worked as a volunteer at the Pilgrims Office this year and will hopefully do so again next year. I would encourage the pilgrims to take the requirement of 2 stamps a day seriously
It is not reasonable to leave it up to the individual volunteer to decide whether mercy should prevail.
It is not difficult to get two stamps. We then take breaks along the way.
I also worked in the Pilgrim’s Office and agree, make sure to get 2 stamps a day seriously because you do not know who is going to check your credentials whether it is a volunteer or employee.
Buen Camino 🥾https://oficinadelperegrino.com/peregrinacion/la-compostela/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's a fairly new update to the credential - I think in the last few years. It wasn't on mine when I first walked in 2016.
I first walked in 2010 with a credential from the Pilgrim Office in SJPP. It was in that credential. The requirement has been clear for at least that long.

And as an aside, I have only once had difficulty getting two or more stamps in a day by getting one where I have stopped for a coffee or a meal. No queueing, no inconvenience, just got a stamp as part of paying for whatever I had drunk/eaten. We are all adults, I think. Making excuses that it is in some way inconvenient to stop for the small amount of time it actually takes to get a stamp seems rather childish to me.

And as an aside, I have only once had difficulty getting two or more stamps in a day by getting one where I have stopped for a coffee or a meal. No queueing, no inconvenience, just got a stamp as part of paying for whatever I had drunk/eaten. We are all adults, I think. Making excuses that it is in some way inconvenient to stop for the small amount of time it actually takes to get a stamp seems rather childish to me.
Thank you for that insult. The problem is that I do not stop for food or drink either so it is inconvenient for me to stop to get a stamp. No a problem for me as I do not care either way if they want to sell me a distance cert or compostella!

Thank you for that insult. The problem is that I do not stop for food or drink either so it is inconvenient for me to stop to get a stamp. No a problem for me as I do not care either way if they want to sell me a distance cert or compostella!
If you don't particularly care about getting the Compostela, why are you engaging in a discussion advising someone who clearly does? I cannot see how that is particularly helpful. As I said earlier, I suspect many of us got our Compostelas without always collecting two stamps each day, but I don't think it helps to suggest that someone clearly interested in getting the Compostela should do this deliberately.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why two stamps in Sarria?
I remember that there was a great palaver some time ago (six, seven years ago?) when the 100 km marker on the Camino was moved because the Galician government had installed new waymarkers for the Camino Francés in Galicia and this involved also a change of the "official" distance between the various Galician towns on the Camino Francés and Santiago. I also remember that the national Spanish Camino Association published, on their website, a communication from the Oficina del Peregrino with a list of the towns to which the Oficina had assigned the 100 km limit: I remember that it is was Lugo on the Camino Primitivo and Ferreiros on the Camino Francés on this list. I think previously it had been Sarria that had been the regarded as the minimum starting point but it no longer is. Obviously, the OP is aware of that. ☺️

I had been walking for nearly 70 days by that point and was used to just getting the stamp at the end of the day at the albergue. My final 100km was from Lugo. I didn't usually stop in cafes so if the stamp was outside with queues it would remind me, but there was definitely days I know I didn't get a second one. Most the time I only got stamps in the evening because the host reminded me, I was notoriously forgetful throughout my walk. I was prepared to only receive my distance certificate, I know the rules. Like I said, I got lucky and would never suggest to just not bother if you want the compostella.

If you already know the requirement, it's both arrogant and selfish to ignore it and expect to get a compostela without getting the two stamps in the last 100km, simply because you can't be bothered, or because you feel your time is too precious, or you think you're a special case because you've walked from Le Puy or the Nordkapp or wherever. You are putting the person tasked with dealing with you in the unenviable position of having to make an uncomfortable decision, possibly forcing them to seek advice from senior staff, thus wasting theirs and other people's time. Is your time more important than other's? If you don't care about getting a compostela, fine.. don't bother your arse, but please don't be advising others to ignore this simple requirement just because you do.

Edit:
There you go, not quoting anyone in particular. If the cap fits, wear it..

Last edited:
Well, at least that's what I think, assuming that @Sssnek got a sello when she stayed at Morgade yesterday. See here their sellos from 2019 and 2013 - a nice testimony of the change of the "official" distances in Galicia. ☺️

View attachment 159124
Source: Los sellos del Camino
To complicate things even more. In 2017,I walked from Lugo(100 km) past Friol to Sobrado,then Lavacola to Santiago,never meeting the Frances. Friol is the only stop on the 50km to Sobrado,so it is impossible to get 2 stamps either that day or the next day. You either stop in Friol or sleep under a tree. I had no trouble getting my papers after walking such an unusual route.

I remember that there was a great palaver some time ago (six, seven years ago?) when the 100 km marker on the Camino was moved because the Galician government had installed new waymarkers for the Camino Francés in Galicia and this involved also a change of the "official" distance between the various Galician towns on the Camino Francés and Santiago. I also remember that the national Spanish Camino Association published, on their website, a communication from the Oficina del Peregrino with a list of the towns to which the Oficina had assigned the 100 km limit: I remember that it is was Lugo on the Camino Primitivo and Ferreiros on the Camino Francés on this list. I think previously it had been Sarria that had been the regarded as the minimum starting point but it no longer is. Obviously, the OP is aware of that. ☺️

I was referring to this, which I read as saying that it's best to get two stamps in the town of Sarria itself.
Ideally, you should have two stamps AT SARRIA,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you already know the requirement, it's both arrogant and selfish to ignore it and expect to get a compostela without getting the two stamps in the last 100km because you can't be bothered, or because you feel your time is too precious or you think you're a special case because you've walked from Le Puy or the Nordkapp or wherever. You are putting the person tasked with dealing with you in the unenviable position of having to make an uncomfortable decision, possibly forcing them to seek advice from senior staff, thus wasting theirs and other people's time. Is your time more important than other's? If you don't care about getting a compostela, fine.. don't bother your arse, but please don't be advising others to ignore this simple requirement just because you do.
At no point has anyone said they are a "special case" because of where they have walked from. At no point has anyone recommended ignoring the two stamp rule. At no point has anyone claimed their time is more precious. There is absolutely no need to make personal insults towards people or project imagined judgements onto them.

If you already know the requirement, it's both arrogant and selfish to ignore it and expect to get a compostela without getting the two stamps in the last 100km because you can't be bothered, or because you feel your time is too precious or you think you're a special case because you've walked from Le Puy or the Nordkapp or wherever. You are putting the person tasked with dealing with you in the unenviable position of having to make an uncomfortable decision, possibly forcing them to seek advice from senior staff, thus wasting theirs and other people's time. Is your time more important than other's? If you don't care about getting a compostela, fine.. don't bother your arse, but please don't be advising others to ignore this simple requirement just because you do.
Someone isn't childish because they don't double stamp as mentioned in a post above. They're not arrogant, selfish and inconsiderate according to a Flog declaration. Differing views on the stamp issue are fine. But it's not fine to mischaracterize someone on a public forum.

Why two stamps in Sarria?
I understand that Sarria has always been the delineating point for the last 100 km into Santiago for those coming in on the Camino Frances. Yes, I am aware that the ACTUAL 100 km marker is farther west, near Morgade. But for all practical purposes, PIlgrim Office staff usually start looking for two stamps from Sarria.

The more modern measurement and assessment, that the actual 100 km marker is near Morgade is a relatively recent phenomenon. But to start there, if you were really lawyering this thing to death, you would still have to get to Sarria first, then hire a taxi to drop you as near the 100 km mojon marker as possible. But, to me, that defeats the entire purpose. Then again, Rule One is that one pilgrim never tells another how to accomplish their Camino. To each his or her own.

I also believe this practice or policy is because Sarria is the best place to travel to by bus or train, to start a short Camino - of only slightly over 100km - into Santiago - on the Camino Frances. It has simply always been that way. This is a classic case of "it is what it is."

If you want to call this a past practice or a policy, fine by me. But the rules, printed in the credencial, and found on the Pilgrim Office website, do clearly state that two stamps per day are required for the final 100 km into Santiago.

This applies whether one walks from Tui, Ferrol, or another 100km (+/-) threshold location. These starting places also have good transportation links (buses and or trains) to get people to the starting points.

I do not recall if any of the popular starting points for meeting the minimum 100 km walking requirement are exactly at 100 km from Santiago. IIRC, they are all slightly more than 100 km distant.

Hope this helps clarify the issue,

Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But to start there, if you were really lawyering this thing to death, you would still have to get to Sarria first, then hire a taxi to drop you as near the 100 km mojon marker as possible
The OP did not start in Sarria. She started in SJPP. She merely wanted to have a confirmation that the 100 km limit starts shortly after Morgade in Ferreiros. Why then tell her, quote: "Ideally, you should have two stamps AT SARRIA."

I was referring to this, which I read as saying that it's best to get two stamps in the town of Sarria itself.
I know ... ☺️

BTW, who would not want to get this stamp in Ferreiros, whether they plan to get a Compostela or a Distance Certificate or none of the two:

100 km sello.jpg
Source: Los sellos del Camino

Last edited:
I understand that Sarria has always been the delineating point for the last 100 km into Santiago for those coming in on the Camino Frances. Yes, I am aware that the ACTUAL 100 km marker is farther west, near Morgade. But for all practical purposes, PIlgrim Office staff usually start looking for two stamps from Sarria.

The more modern measurement and assessment, that the actual 100 km marker is near Morgade is a relatively recent phenomenon. But to start there, if you were really lawyering this thing to death, you would still have to get to Sarria first, then hire a taxi to drop you as near the 100 km mojon marker as possible. But, to me, that defeats the entire purpose. Then again, Rule One is that one pilgrim never tells another how to accomplish their Camino. To each his or her own.

I also believe this practice or policy is because Sarria is the best place to travel to by bus or train, to start a short Camino - of only slightly over 100km - into Santiago - on the Camino Frances. It has simply always been that way. This is a classic case of "it is what it is."

If you want to call this a past practice or a policy, fine by me. But the rules, printed in the credencial, and found on the Pilgrim Office website, do clearly state that two stamps per day are required for the final 100 km into Santiago.

This applies whether one walks from Tui, Ferrol, or another 100km (+/-) threshold location. These starting places also have good transportation links (buses and or trains) to get people to the starting points.

I do not recall if any of the popular starting points for meeting the minimum 100 km walking requirement are exactly at 100 km from Santiago. IIRC, they are all slightly more than 100 km distant.

Hope this helps clarify the issue,

Tom
I did the Via de la Plata this year, and from Ourense it is about 100 km to Santiago, but there simply isn’t a way to get two stamps a day, there are no cafés between the stages, so I only got one stamp a day and it was fine.

I’m planning on avoiding Sarria by taking the Invierno next time. Just how difficult was it to get the two stamps a day? Any pointers on getting them are welcome.
Not 'that' hard. Just that some days you might not find much open along the way, so you need to remember to grab a stamp when you can. Nothing to worry about. Just not as easy as the Frances for example, where you could collect 10 a day easily!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, I've been wondering what will be open during the holiday week of Dec. 31 and Jan 6 for my student group and I to get 2 stamps a day (beyond our albergues). I guess we'll keep an eye open for whatever is available and hope for the best. I don't care about a Compostela for me at this point, but I think they will all be wanting to get one. I do hope the vending machine place will be open in Ferreiros at least as that is a pretty easy one. Also this summer we got a couple of stamps from the mobile Guardia Civil. I kind of doubt if their international team will be patrolling over the holidays, but that was also pretty cool.

Many people have reported experiences just like yours. They far outnumber the people who report being refused a Compostela after walking long distances based on this rule. I have no doubt the odds were in your favour.

That said, people have also reported being refused Compostelas (although far fewer of them). It is well that you were prepared to be refused. And people are welcome to take their chances so long as they are similarly prepared.

This isn't setting the car among the pigeons nearly as much as the many people who say "I wasn't refused so you certainly won't be. Even if the Compostela is crucially important to you, I still suggest you not bother collecting the two stamps a day because it can't be a problem."

As @Robo said, it's not too difficult, but you may need to ask for stamps on the Invierno. They are not always offered automatically. Also keep a watch in smaller villages for locals offering 'buen camino' stations.. with an available stamp on a window ledge, 'honesty' table or doorway. There's lots of local support along this route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After reading all this I am wondering what Sssnek (the original poster) is thinking. She (I assume "she" but could be wrong) asks two simple questions and half the camino world blows up. It is a pity Sssnek didn't get a stamp every day but that cannot be undone. Anyhow, it makes no difference to the walk or getting a compostela. Just get two stamps a day from Sarria onwards and there will ne no problems. It is that simple.

That's a fairly new update to the credential - I think in the last few years. It wasn't on mine when I first walked in 2016.
Just for general info: While there is only one template for the Compostela there are numerous different templates for the credencial because credencials are not only issued by the Cathedral of Santiago but also by international Friends of the Camino associations. Design and even content vary.

I am not only an armchair Camino anthropologist with an interest in group dynamics ;), I also like to look up things to make sure of the facts. The first discussion of the 2-stamps-rule on the forum dates from the summer of 2010 - The "2-stamps-rule". Btw, as to the participants in this early thread: the OP, @Jochen_Schmidtke RIP, was very active as a member of one of the international Camino associations and @JohnnieWalker who lives in Santiago was also quite involved in Camino things at the time.

There have been many more threads about this topic since then, with pretty much the same content and opinions and grievances as in this current thread. While I was searching I noticed this comment from the summer of 2019 by a forum member who was not only a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office but a volunteer who actually issued Compostelas:

Working in the Pilgrim Office just now... the two stamps a day rule applies to all pilgrims not just those walking the last 100km. In reality, some allowance is (unofficially) allowed for where clearly the pilgrim has stamps for a longer journey - but please you make the lives of the workers and volunteers SO MUCH EASIER if you have 2 stamps a day at the very least for the last 100 kms.
Luckily, the OP of this current thread has signalled her willingness to collect 2 sellos per day from the moment she leaves her accommodation in Morgade at Camino kilometre point 101,9. We are now one and a half days later, so I reckon that it is only about 3 1/2 days and 3 extra sellos for her before she can present her credencial and apply for Compostela and Distance Certificate. Buen Camino, @Sssnek ☺️!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How do other people, not on this forum, find out about the 2 sellos a day rule? (The other thing I wonder is why people make such a huge deal about getting a Compostela.. especially if they've already gotten one in the past, but I assume there are many different personal reasons.)
It is printed on the credential.

That made me laugh. Thanks.
As everyone knows, on arrival at USA Border Control the proper answer to the question “What is the purpose of your visit?” is: “The overthrow of the United States government and the introduction of libertarian Communism”. Similarly the answer to the question, “do you have a criminal record” in Australia is “is it still compulsory?”

Any one who does not actually want to receive a Compostela is at liberty to only obtain one sello a day between Sarria / Morgade and Santiago and cause some distress to the poor volunteer on the desk who has to decline them.

Just for the hell of it I’ll mangle an old saw: God does not count your steps; Santiago will not weigh your pack and St Peter definitely doesn’t have time to read the paperwork. The Pilgrim Souvenir Office will be as accommodating as they can

How do other people, not on this forum, find out about the 2 sellos a day rule?
As @J Willhaus wrote, it is printed on every page of the credencial issued by the Cathedral of Santiago: "Certificación de Paso (sellos). En las casillas deberá figurer el sello de cada localidad (al menos 2 por día) con la fecha, para acreditar su paso. (see screenshot below)

Of course the holder who has agreed to this requirement (it says so at the bottom of page 2) needs to first notice this Spanish text and then needs to understand it. Also, there is no mention in the credencial that this requirement applies to the last 100 km. Also, other credencials, issued by foreign pilgrim associations and recognised by the Cathedral, may not even mention the requirement about the 2 daily stamps/100 km. Hence, there is occasional confusion or, as the OP puts it, getting "a bit freaked out by lack of specificity of the 'after Sarria' talk" as a result of online and offline chatter and personal liberal interpretations of current policy at the Pilgrim Office - liberal interpretations to which some can hold on to for many years with considerable tenacity and despite efforts made by others to bring them up to date. 😇

Sello 2.jpg

How do other people, not on this forum, find out about the 2 sellos a day rule? (The other thing I wonder is why people make such a huge deal about getting a Compostela.. especially if they've already gotten one in the past, but I assume there are many different personal reasons.)
The Pilgrim Souvenir Office make it quite clear on their website: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

I've stopped collecting but, I guess, like porcelain miniatures; $100 notes; and life's experiences some things are just collectable ;)

I am pretty sure it says 2 stamps per day on the American Pilgrims on the Camino version of the credential that we usually use.

I am in Madrid and just looked closer at my credential from the American Pilgrims on the Camino. It definitely says 2 stamps per day the last 100k on foot or horseback and the last 200k if on bicycle.

€149,-
Just for general info: While there is only one template for the Compostela there are numerous different templates for the credencial because credencials are not only issued by the Cathedral of Santiago but also by international Friends of the Camino associations. Design and even content vary.
This is true, but there are requirements that the Cathedral imposes on association credentials for them to be recognized by the Pilgrim Office. I know this was something the the Canadian Company of Pilgrims came up against. Their newer ones meet the requirements and the older ones were grandfathered, but changes were required by the Cathedral.

That made me laugh. Thank you..

You should try coffee shops. Bars. As well. It dos er have to be specific to where you sleep . Also other Albergues are generous in helping in situations like that as welll
I would try to make up for the lost stamps even if it’s not date specific so at least the passport is full and not blank
The pilgrims office will obviously have the final say.

Fingers crossed mate.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would try to make up for the lost stamps even if it’s not date specific so at least the passport is full and not blank
The pilgrims office will obviously have the final say.
I'm not sure what the thinking is here. The OP asked in time to make sure they collect the required number of stamps for the last 100 km, so that shouldn't be an issue, and their credencial won't be blank. If they collect more than the minimum, which I have done now for several caminos, that will be a nice memento as well, but is unlikely to make any practical difference to receiving either the Compostela or the distance certificate. I don't think the Pilgrim Office staff will be concerned with more than the final 100 km for the Compostela, and the start point for the distance certificate.

I have 4 Compostelas. Each Pilgrim Office visit was very different from an intense grilling and stamp-by-stamp examination of my credential to the one a few weeks ago that was over in less than a minute. The guy looked at the first and last stamps, asked no questions and handed my the Compostela. It is like crossing a border-it depends who you get. I think they give more attention when the line is short and less when the line is long. I walked with a number of elderly Spanish pilgrims on my recent Central from Lisbon. They claim the Compestela has become almost meaningless. Not sure I totally agree, but I see their point.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

When I took my folder full of stamps thru the Santiago Pilgrim Office last week, they had a quick look, but certainly did NOT count them to make sure I had "every one". As for two stamps per day after Sarria, that only applies to those who start at the 100km mark. So, I am pleased to say; no problem for you. If it still concerns you that you are 3 stamps short, I suggest you get 2 stamps per day for 3 days!

My Mother said, I never should
Play with the gypsies in the wood.
If I did, she would say;
'Naughty girl to disobey!

Your hair shan't curl and your shoes shan't shine,
You gypsy girl, you shan't be mine!
And my father said that if I did,
He'd rap my head with the teapot lid.

My mother said that I never should
Play with the gypsies in the wood.
The wood was dark, the grass was green;
By came Sally with a tambourine.

I went to sea - no ship to get across;
I paid ten shillings for a blind white horse.
I upped on his back and was off in a crack,
Sally tell my mother I shall never come back.

The rules is the rules. We are all at liberty to break 'em.

As for two stamps per day after Sarria, that only applies to those who start at the 100km mark.
That is definitely not true.
The Pilgrim's Office is clear.
This is what the text on their website says:

To get the “Compostela” you must:
  • Make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search.
  • Do the last 100 km on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bicycle. It is understood that the pilgrimage starts at one point and from there you come to visit the Tomb of St. James.
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc.
  • You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
It is also true that the volunteers at the Pilgrims Office can use their discretion and award a Compostela to those who are missing the two stamps per day...or not.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I took my folder full of stamps thru the Santiago Pilgrim Office last week, they had a quick look, but certainly did NOT count them to make sure I had "every one". As for two stamps per day after Sarria, that only applies to those who start at the 100km mark. So, I am pleased to say; no problem for you. If it still concerns you that you are 3 stamps short, I suggest you get 2 stamps per day for 3 days!
Bless your heart. Be prepared to be put in your place by the usual suspects. I’m sure it will range from the firm but polite to the snarkily rude😀.

I’m sure it will range from the firm but polite to the snarkily rude😀.
Having visited the Pilgrim Office a few times now, even at its busiest in one of its former locations, I never met anyone who was 'snarkily rude'. When my wife an I had a quite complicated trip because she was unwell, the staff very patiently worked through the distance calculations for us. But then, I have never had a discussion about why I haven't collected the required two sellos each day for the minimum distance either.

I get them for relatives who have passed…

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Having visited the Pilgrim Office a few times now, even at its busiest in one of its former locations, I never met anyone who was 'snarkily rude'. When my wife an I had a quite complicated trip because she was unwell, the staff very patiently worked through the distance calculations for us. But then, I have never had a discussion about why I haven't collected the required two sellos each day for the minimum distance either.
The “usual suspects” wasn’t a reference to the Pilgrim Office. Rather made my point for me.

The stamps are fun, although I forgot them frequently.

I'm not sure what's hoping to be accomplished with the two-stamp-a-day rule on the last hundred kilometers, anyway. Given that it could be easily done by a taxi or bus riding pilgrim also.

And what would be the point? To lie to yourself? to lie to your friends? to lie to God? It would be rather silly, wouldn't it?

Perhaps It would make some sense to fake it for Spanish people where they put it on their résumés.
However my plan is to ask albergues, churches and bars/cafes along the way if they will stamp my credential AND my journal. I think it would be fun to have stamps along with my writing for each day.
What a nice idea. Next time I'll try to do that with my sketchook!

Last edited:
Out here in the wilds of the Camino Invierno, some days, like today's stage from Rodeiro to Lalin, zero opportunities as no services available. Nothing but old roads, farms, a couple of flooded bridges, etc. I'll do my best and will simply explain my circumstances and hope for the best.

For what it’s worth, there are several sources of credenciales. I’m not sure they all have bothered to include that reminder of the Rule. I don’t remember it on mine, but I lost it and can’t check.

Several years ago, spurred on by a plethora of tour company, and other commercially sold, printed credencials, the Pilgrim Office adopted a standard format and content. From that point, only Pilgrim Office approved credentials were to be accepted. This DID NOT mean that all blank credencials had to come from the Pilgrim Office, or that they all had to look identical.

With the passage of time, and in my best recollection, the non-standard credentials have largely disappeared. However, they are still accepted at the Pilgrim Office if they are used according to the standard rules.

It simply meant that if you were going to print your organization's version of the credencial; eg. French, German, Belgian, Dutch, Italian, Spanish Friends of the Camino, American Pilgrims on the Camino, St. James Society in the UK, Irish Pilgrim Society, Canadian Company of Pilgrims, etc., you had to meet the requirements of the Pilgrim Office.

To my best recollection, this includes an explanation of the rules - including the number of stamps per day within the last 100 km (walking) or 200 km (Biking).

Hope this helps.

Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

This should NOT be a problem. Try to remember, especially your last 100km.

Glad to have created such a lengthy discussion lol.

After reading all this I am wondering what Sssnek (the original poster) is thinking. She (I assume "she" but could be wrong) asks two simple questions and half the camino world blows up. It is a pity Sssnek didn't get a stamp every day but that cannot be undone. Anyhow, it makes no difference to the walk or getting a compostela. Just get two stamps a day from Sarria onwards and there will ne no problems. It is that simple.
I am thinking: “Huh some people are taking this very personally.”

Secondary to this, I am laughing a bit because IMMEDIATELY after posting this and getting the initial responses confirming what I suspected, the next day I forgot to get two stamps :)))

A few people up there (I don’t remember who) were being snarky about how it’s really easy to just get stamps at the places you stop, which is mostly true, but it has been POURING the last week and my credential was therefore safely tucked away in a pocket and under a rain cover, so not exactly easy access, nor was it really a priority when the whole time I was thinking “keep walking, don’t think about how wet your socks are.”

I arrived in Santiago today but due to weather conditions (see above) I decided to try and get my Compostela tomorrow.

Of course the holder who has agreed to this requirement (it says so at the bottom of page 2) needs to first notice this Spanish text and then needs to understand it.
Loved this comment because I *do* speak Spanish, but mine is in French!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Congratulations on completing your first Camino @Sssnek!
Thanks! We’ll see if I get my compostela despite my many transgressions 😈

Mostly though, the credential with all its stamps is good enough for me. I’m not Christian and I’m pretty sure my deity doesn’t really care too much about the paper. I just want it because I think it’s a cool souvenir, and something to hang on my wall to remind me that I can do hard things.

Thanks! We’ll see if I get my compostela despite my many transgressions 😈

Mostly though, the credential with all its stamps is good enough for me. I’m not Christian and I’m pretty sure my deity doesn’t really care too much about the paper. I just want it because I think it’s a cool souvenir, and something to hang on my wall to remind me that I can do hard things.
You can request an alternative "welcome certificate" which is also very pretty.

In this picture the Compostela is on the left, and the welcome certificate is on the right

1000014998.jpg
You can also get a distance certificate for 3€

distance certificate.jpg

Congrats on finishing your Camino despite the bad weather. I hope you get your Compostela. You deserve it. And thanks (I think) for starting this thread. Yes, some people seemed to take it very personally. But you are the one who did the walk. Again, congrats.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Out here in the wilds of the Camino Invierno, some days, like today's stage from Rodeiro to Lalin, zero opportunities as no services available. Nothing but old roads, farms, a couple of flooded bridges, etc. I'll do my best and will simply explain my circumstances and hope for the best.

Calling it 'the wilds' might be stretching things a bit..

I walked into Santiago yesterday morning from the Invierno. I have no need for another compostela, but just for fun, and out of curiosity, I decided to collect two sellos a day after Chantada with no problems.

And for reference, you mentioned Rodeiro to Lalin:
Walking down through Rodeiro after leaving the albergue the other morning, I counted seven open bars, any one of which would have given me a second sello. In Lalin, many more bars, restaurants, shops etc. I could have collected 30 sellos that day easily, but it was raining. I contented myself with just the two.

20231028_230127.jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Update: the lovely woman looked at my credential for under a minute before congratulating me and handing me my Compostela and distance certificate.

Alls well that ends well as Ma Ingles used to say!
The wonderful news we have all been waiting for! Congratulations on both completing your pilgrimage and getting your Compostela and distance certificate.

As stated numerous times already, you will be fine with missing some stamps. With the pilgrim office likely to issue close to 500,000 Compostelas this year, they aren't going to look that closely or give you the third degree!
But that begs the question, has anyone ever been denied a Compostela or heard of anyone being denied one for less than stellar stamping?

€46,-
But that begs the question, has anyone ever been denied a Compostela or heard of anyone being denied one for less than stellar stamping?
It's been a while, but a few years back there were some stellar meltdowns on the Forum from people who'd been denied Compostelas. Maybe someone with more tech savvy than I could point you to them. But it has happened.

As stated numerous times already, you will be fine with missing some stamps.
Yes that's right, you'll be just fine... or maybe you won't be fine..
What do you think, and what do you actually know? Yes, of course they have.. for example, quite a few today. And today was a quiet day. But let's keep encouraging people to have a cavalier attitude.. what can possibly go wrong?
More than one pilgrim got on a plane home disappointed today, believe me.
But what does it matter? Well, it looked to me like it mattered to them, and I was disappointed for them too, for some of them at least..

Last edited:
I think, like many things, the people who very intensely care about making 100% sure that nothing goes wrong will be extra careful and get the exact appropriate number of stamps.

As someone who is not one of those people, I appreciated the input people gave on the odds I would be able to receive a Compostela anyway. (The odds, by the way, seem to be in favor of no one really looking super closely.)

I also think anyone who reads this thread will get a pretty solid cross section of information, and a good idea for what to do based on how badly they want a Compostela. I don’t think criticizing other people’s perspectives (likely based on how important receiving it is to them) is all that helpful or necessary.

€46,-

What do you think, and what do you actually know? Yes, of course they have.. for example, quite a few today. And today was a quiet day. But let's keep encouraging people to have a cavalier attitude.. what can possibly go wrong?
But what does it matter? Well, it looked to me like it mattered to them, and I was disappointed for them too, for some of them at least..
Interesting. For the six Compostelas I've received my pilgrim passport has only been given a cursory glance each time.
I guess some in the pilgrim office take their duties very seriously...I just haven't had the pleasure of dealing with one of them yet!
And you need to lighten up. I wasn't promoting people taking a cavalier attitude, but was curious as the issue of missed stamps and panic over it seems to come up quite often. I hadn't ever heard of someone being denied, so it was an honest question.

I know you work in the pilgrim’s office. I thank you for your service. I guess refusing to award a Compostela is, possibly, the hardest part of the job. Two stamps per day from Sarria or Tui must be the easiest bit of “hacer Camino”. Do you have any idea why it is so difficult for some?

And before anyone jumps in yes, I get the bit where the frost blasted pilgrim in faded fatigues with a one sided tan (think about it) presents half-a-dozen credencial with a first stamp from Ultimate Thule. BUT, oh sod it, just but…

So, the PO hands out, sorry, issues #x Compostela a day. BUT, not to everyone who asks for one

I guess I’m just an old, confused, Tinker. The experienced and expert advice available in this thread alone, never mind the rest of the World Wide Web has convinced me that I know nothing and that nothing I know will help. Meanwhile, should I ever feel the need to claim another compo-watsit I’ll just do what I did before and get two sello per day on that last 100km run-in and I’ll probably grab an Orujo with my coffee while I’m at it

I caught a 10lb Barbel on Friday from a rising river in a rainstorm that was visibly contributing to the rise. Not that that has anything to do with anything but I was quite pleased at the time. As, probably, are most of those who exit the pilgrim office clutching their prize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back