• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

PILGRIM'S PASSPORT

urbanhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Le Puy to Moissac (2013)
Camino Portugues (Sept 2014)
Camino del Norte/Irun to Luarca (April 2015)
Camino Inglés/Camino Finisterra/Muxia (Oct 2015)
Moissac to St. Jean (2016)
Hi,
I will be arriving in Le Puy on Saturday, Oct 4th around 7pm and will start walking Sunday morning around 8 or 9 in the morning. Will there be a place to pick up a Pilgrim's Passport prior to leaving Le Puy?

Thanks,
Ray

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your schedule may not support picking up a credential at the Cathedral bookshop. With so much lead time, why not get a credential from your national pilgrim association? That way you would have it in hand with certainty.

Of course, a credential is not a requirement in France, unless you are staying in the municipally-operated gites.

I was never asked to produce it in any municipal gites, always had to in the religious order run refuges.........Vicrev

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks. Mostly I would like the passport as a souvenir of the Camino. I will try and pick one up here in the U.S.

Ray

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also, the Michelin map for this route (number 161) includes blank pages at the back designed for collecting stamps just like a passport/credenciale.

Right. Not sure what I was thinking. I am in fact returning on the 4th of Oct and leaving on the Camino the 15th of Sept. Boy, was I off! In any case all the help is still applicable. Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd really recommend attending the pilgrim mass in the morning. The mass itself is relatively short, but then it's followed by a pilgrim blessing and a short discussion with the priest (who spoke some English and really made an effort to include English-speakers). When I was there in June, all pilgrims were presented with a rosary and a small metal shell (for a necklace). Immediately after, pilgrims passports were available in the church's gift shop. I was out of there by 8am--in time to pop back to my gite (Capucins), inhale a quick breakfast, grab my pack, and hit the road. A great start to the trip.

Hi Ray
- yes - I'd strongly second Dave's suggestion - I started from Le Puy in July + collected the Creanciale after the 0700 mass at the cathedral, with father's blessing and inspiring few words - technically this is the one issued by the Church (- as against the non-religious one the Credentiale), but there is no practical difference at all to the holder - cost is 5E; mass is at 0700 each morning, including Sundays. The Cathedral is a marvellous sight worth seeing as well
Bon chemin..!! - Stephen in NZ

I second Dave. You can buy a creanciale (with a beautiful red stamp - first one) in the Cathedral's gift shop right after the mass (starting at 7 am). Besides many other things, they also have scallop shells for sale to hang on your backpack. Bonne route. Dolfina

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. I love this site. Anyway, Starting with the mass and then getting the Credential afterwards sounds like a good plan. Thanks again.

Ray

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back