• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plan B, Madrid to Oviedo Bus!

green_spork

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
Aug/Sept (2017)
Having previously posted regarding only having 1-hour to get through Madrid Airport and catch a bus to Oviedo!

In response, I received a lot of helpful advice and feedback from people’s own recent experiences.

So I thought instead of trying to make the 11:15am bus from T4, (flight arrives T1 at 10:05am)
I go from T1 straight to the Moncloa Bus station, where the same bus departs at 12:15! (Arrives in Oviedo at same time!)

This would give me 2 hours to clear passport control and get to the bus station!

Plan B
From T1 Terminal,
Take Metro Pink Line 8 - transfer at
(Nuevos Minsterios)
Grey Line 6 - Moncloa!
8 stops!

Does this look more feasible?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Plan B
From T1 Terminal,
Take Metro Pink Line 8 - transfer at
(Nuevos Minsterios)
Grey Line 6 - Moncloa!
8 stops!

Does this look more feasible?

Even though I think it’s 12 stops, you are probably right that you can get to Moncloa from T1 in less time than the bus is going to take to get from the T4 to Moncloa (especially given whatever “head start” you get from your flight arrival time. The bus will stop at Estación Sur along the way, which is a more circuitous and longer route.

The metro transfer at Nuevos Ministerios is VERY long, through lots of tunnels, but even so, I think you will probably beat the bus. Watch out for pick pockets, particularly on the line from the airport.

Even though I think it’s 12 stops, you are probably right that you can get to Moncloa from T1 in less time than the bus is going to take to get from the T4 to Moncloa (especially given whatever “head start” you get from your flight arrival time. The bus will stop at Estación Sur along the way, which is a more circuitous and longer route.

The metro transfer at Nuevos Ministerios is VERY long, through lots of tunnels, but even so, I think you will probably beat the bus. Watch out for pick pockets, particularly on the line from the airport.
I have been monitoring the arrival times of the same flight I have booked!
Last week the flight arrived into Madrid, 20 mins early, however the flight yesterday had a 30 min delay!

It’s been a few years since I’d used the Metro, The last time I went from T1 to Atocha to catch a train to Valencia!

I remember some of the stations went on and on for miles, they also seen to be extended some of the lines near Puestra de Sol.

My only other real option is to take the later Oviedo bus than means waiting around for 4 hours and gets me to Oviedo at 10pm.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your comment about the stations going on and on for miles got me thinking about other similar stations. If anyone else is interested in knowing how long their connections will be on the metro line, this map clearly distinguishes those transfers that are right next to each other and those that involve a long walk. The longest appears to be Noviciado on Line 2 connecting with Plaza de España on lines 10 and 3. That connection is so long the stops don’t even have the same name.

Last week the flight arrived into Madrid, 20 mins early, however the flight yesterday had a 30 min delay!
My only other real option is to take the later Oviedo bus than means waiting around for 4 hours and gets me to Oviedo at 10pm.

I hope you are lucky enough to have a good arrival time. Waiting around for four hours would not be fun, but I would rather wait around for four hours in Moncloa than outside T4, so that’s another advantage of your plan. Moncloa is right at the tip of the University Complutense and is on the edge of a very trendy Madrid neighborhood, Argüelles, so you would have plenty of nearby cafés, shops, etc. If you needed to get a sim card, food, etc, that would all be easy to do near the Moncloa station. There’s even a big Corte Inglés less than a km away, just leave the station and walk straight down the Calle Princesa.

What date will you be arriving, @green_spork?

Your comment about the stations going on and on for miles got me thinking about other similar stations. If anyone else is interested in knowing how long their connections will be on the metro line,this mapclearly distinguishes those transfers that are right next to each other and those that involve a long walk. The longest appears to be Noviciado on Line 2 connecting with Plaza de España on lines 10 and 3. That connection is so long the stops don’t even have the same name.

I hope you are lucky enough to have a good arrival time. Waiting around for four hours would not be fun, but I would rather wait around for four hours in Moncloa than outside T4, so that’s another advantage of your plan. Moncloa is right at the tip of the University Complutense and is on the edge of a very trendy Madrid neighborhood, Argüelles, so you would have plenty of nearby cafés, shops, etc. If you needed to get a sim card, food, etc, that would all be easy to do near the Moncloa station. There’s even a big Corte Inglés less than a km away, just leave the station and walk straight down the Calle Princesa.

What date will you be arriving, @green_spork?
I think knowing how far the connections are in advance is a very smart move, especially if like myself your are short of time!
I also recall some of the stations seem to be very deep underground, multiple escalators!
I agree about not wanting to hang around T4, Moncloa does look like the best bet!
Can you still book Renfe trains tickets in “El Corte Ingles”
I am arriving on the 24 September, arrival 10:05? I hope!

Can you still book Renfe trains tickets in “El Corte Ingles”
I see online info that suggests that the answer is yes, at least if the store has a “Viajes Corte Inglés” office/store. The one on Princesa does have that, according to the Corte Inglés website.

Attachments

• 79BB3841-5B17-4754-99E6-2DF11C212140.png
    79BB3841-5B17-4754-99E6-2DF11C212140.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I see online info that suggests that the answer is yes, at least if the store has a “Viajes Corte Inglés” office/store. The one on Princesa does have that, according to the Corte Inglés website.
Good to know, also great for stocking up on essentials!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back