• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus transfer from Santander airport to Oviedo

Darragh3281

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hi folks, planning my second Camino - the Primitivo, flying into Santander at 9am Sunday 23rd of
June. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of travelling to Oviedo from Santander airport?

As someone new to travelling in Spain by bus, what bus company/online bus site do you use??

Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There's a regular shuttle from the airport to the bus station in Santander. From there, ALSA run a direct bus to Oviedo, it takes a couple of hours. You won't be able to book this far out, but leave it until a month before, and you can buy the ticket online. You can usually buy on the day but some routes  do sell out, so best to get it in advance.

If you are not in a rush, you can take the train from Santander to Oviedo. Take 5 1/2 hours. You can't buy tickets online, you just pick them up at Santander station. Two trains a day which allows you a scenic tour of the Asturias.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There's a regular shuttle from the airport to the bus station in Santander. From there, ALSA run a direct bus to Oviedo, it takes a couple of hours. You won't be able to book this far out, but leave it until a month before, and you can buy the ticket online. You can usually buy on the day but some routes  do sell out, so best to get it in advance.
Thanks, I read somewhere that there was a bus from the airport to Oviedo not sure if this is the case.

If you are not in a rush, you can take the train from Santander to Oviedo. Take 5 1/2 hours. You can't buy tickets online, you just pick them up at Santander station. Two trains a day which allows you a scenic tour of the Asturias.
Thanks for reply, the train sounds lovely and I do prefer trains, but time is an issue

All buses from the airport stop at the bus station anyway, as it's a major transport hub. When you're buying your ticket, it might show you both options. You might have to get off one and onto another one, but it's easy enough.

I'm not sure how many separate journeys the FEVE train would take to Oviedo. It's a delightful trip to make but I don't think it's continuous. I imagine straight off the plane, you want to just get where you're going. Either way, don't sweat it... get your ticket in a few months..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All buses from the airport stop at the bus station anyway, as it's a major transport hub. When you're buying your ticket, it might show you both options. You might have to get off one and onto another one, but it's easy enough.

I'm not sure how many separate journeys the FEVE train would take to Oviedo. It's a delightful trip to make but I don't think it's continuous. I imagine straight off the plane, you want to just get where you're going. Either way, don't sweat it... get your ticket in a few months..
Great thank you, looking forward it.

A Quick Look on Rome2Rio shows frequent ALSA bus trips from the Santander bus station to Oviedo. Bus = 2h 15 minutes. Train is nearly 5 and 1/2 hours.
The airport is 5 km from the bus station with frequent local bus access trip duration about 15 minutes. Taxi too.
Buen Camino!

Attachments

• IMG_6479.png
    IMG_6479.png
    913.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6480.png
    IMG_6480.png
    483.9 KB · Views: 6
A Quick Look on Rome2Rio shows frequent ALSA bus trips from the Santander bus station to Oviedo. Bus = 2h 15 minutes. Train is nearly 5 and 1/2 hours.
The airport is 5 km from the bus station with frequent local bus access trip duration about 15 minutes. Taxi too.
Buen Camino!
Great thanks for that, I’ll be using Rome2Rio for my transport info in future😀

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi folks, planning my second Camino - the Primitivo, flying into Santander at 9am Sunday 23rd of
June. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of travelling to Oviedo from Santander airport?

As someone new to travelling in Spain by bus, what bus company/online bus site do you use??

Thanks
Looking at the time you arrive the bus is probably best as the morning train leaves at about the time you arrive. The afternoon train leaves at around 16.00 so might be good if there is no convenient bus on a Sunday. The bus and train station are only a few metres apart so easy to access both together if needed.
Buen Camino

Looking at the time you arrive the bus is probably best as the morning train leaves at about the time you arrive. The afternoon train leaves at around 16.00 so might be good if there is no convenient bus on a Sunday. The bus and train station are only a few metres apart so easy to access both together if needed.
Buen Camino
Thank you bus is looking to be the best bet.

You have 2 options.
First one is to get from Santander airport to center, all the details here (Hicantabria)
Then you have a couple of choices:
- Bus from Santander to Oviedo with ALSA, details here (ALSA)
- A long RENFE train, slower but maybe you can enjoy the ride, not recommended but just in case details here (RENFE)

Also you might check BlaBlaCar as a third option.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back