• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning a Trip to Oviedo: Exploring Leon or Directly to Oviedo?

lynskieinFenwick

Time of past OR future Camino
Apr/May 2023
My travelling companions and I will fly into Madrid from North America and then make our way to Oviedo to start the CP. I'm looking for firsthand experience and recommendations for visiting Leon and Oviedo. Is it better to go directly to Oviedo and spend 1day and a half exploring it? Or should we go to Leon for 1.5 days of exploring and then go to Oviedo for 1 day of exploring?
Either option will have us leaving Oviedo on April 30th, which is a Sunday. Will we have challenges finding a place for lunch going to Grado on Sunday?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whether you decide to visit Leon as well as Oviedo depends totally on the interests and energy of you and your companions, so it is hard to give advice. After a long journey to get to Spain, I would prefer to relax and enjoy one city rather than try to do two. But if there is something you really want to see in Leon, maybe it will be worth it to you.

I haven't walked the Primitivo, but I would expect most restaurants in any towns to be open on a Sunday in late April. (Monday is more likely a closing day.) But if there are not many restaurant options along that day's route, maybe you need to forego a proper menú del día, and take a picnic lunch with you from Oviedo. I always carry enough calories in the form of nuts and other snacks, anyway, in case no open restaurant presents itself!

Last edited by a moderator:
My travelling companions and I will fly into Madrid from North America and then make our way to Oviedo to start the CP. I'm looking for firsthand experience and recommendations for visiting Leon and Oviedo. Is it better to go directly to Oviedo and spend 1day and a half exploring it? Or should we go to Leon for 1.5 days of exploring and then go to Oviedo for 1 day of exploring?
Either option will have us leaving Oviedo on April 30th, which is a Sunday. Will we have challenges finding a place for lunch going to Grado on Sunday?
I really enjoyed Leon so if you have the time I would recommend staying one or two nights there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I haven' been to Oviedo yet but Leon is one of my favourite Spanish cities. The cathedral, with its Gothic purity and vast expanses of stained glass is probably my favourite on the Camino Frances. The Royal Pantheon in San Isidro houses "the Sistine Chapel of Romanesque art". And the city itself (at least the old town) is just a really nice city.

Tricky one. Léon is an amazing city, then again so is Oviedo, in fact we could all list a hundred or so amazing cities in Spain off the top of our heads. If it were simply a choice between the two, I´d say Léon, but when all is said and done, maybe exploring one amazing city at leisure would make more sense than rushing two? Grado is a biggish town (for Spain) so places should be open for Sunday lunch but as C Clearly says, carry snacks and lunches every day as there are some longish stretches between towns on the Primitivo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back