• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning based on the phases of the moon

november_moon

Veteran Member
Has anybody planned their camino around the phases of the moon?

The thread about the early morning walking got me thinking about the moon phases during our upcoming camino, so I looked it up to see what the moon will be doing. My husband and I will be walking in June of next year and I just learned that there will be a full moon on Friday, June 13th, which right in the middle of our walk. I am really excited about this. Not only will there be a full moon, but a Friday the 13th moon at that - I couldn't have planned it better if I had tried :D

Checking the moon and sun rise times, on the morning of June 12th, the (almost full) moon sets at 6:13 am and the sun rises at 6:44 am - we will definitely be up early on the 12th to be out to see the big ol' moon set and then the sun rise just afterwards. Then on Friday the 13th, the sun sets at 9:45 pm and the glorious full moon will rise at 10:03pm.

I guess we will have to make sure we aren't in alberques with late opening and early closing times those nights.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Now that is pretty cool! What a great idea and fun to add to the walk. I am going to keep this in mind for my own Camino. Hmm...perhaps if a warm night, a sleep outside after a long walk in the moonlight might be in order.

I love this!

I had never thought about this - but now that I've looked, I see we have a full moon the night my hubby and two girls join the boys and me in Pamplona so we'll be sure to have a look at it....in fact with two kids being sent to India and another couple being left in NZ for the whole time, we might make a practice of looking at the moon each evening to think of each other. Thanks for bringing our attention to this. (I've also added the full moon details into my walking spreadsheet!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Great idea - just looked it up and there is a full moon for me on the 14th May 2014 and is in the zodiac sign of Scorpio, which is me, pretty cool :D
Cheers November moon

It wasn't deliberate but I made it into Santiago under a full moon. I got to the "concentration camp" at Monte de Gozo in the afternoon intending to spend the night there. It was such a dreadful place though after rural Spain, I watched the sunset, met a friend and spent some time talking then felt drawn to leave.

I walked into Santiago that night in the dark under the full moon. It was absolutely beautiful. I got to the square, it was completely empty and the moon was shining down between the twin towers of the cathedral.

uploadfromtaptalk1382519758412.jpg

One of the highlights for me, was walking on the meseta, with the full moon setting and the sun rising . It was truly magical.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I too had beautiful 'moon' moments this year on the camino. One was also on the meseta after a grinding day of flat, flat, flat between Carrión de las Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza. The moon was full and the sky was quite light all night. There were several young boys/men in the albergue who had trouble sitting still and quietly got up about 2:00 am to start their walk for the next day in the full moon. I envied them as they must have had an amazing time. I contented myself by gazing out the window long after they disappeared.
But I was particularly lucky the night I watched the sunset at Finisterre as it happened to be the summer solstice. After watching a glorious sunset we all turned around to get up and walk back to the albergue and noted that the full moon had risen behind us as the sun set. It doesn't show as well in pictures unfortunately, but it was breathtaking!!
Here are a couple of pictures if you're interested.sunset at Finisterre2013.JPG moon rise at Finisterre2013.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hey november-moon my son and i will be starting our camino 1st light friday 6th so will be approx a week behind you cant wait for a long night trek will be awesome (and cool)

There were several young boys/men in the albergue who had trouble sitting still and quietly got up about 2:00 am to start their walk for the next day in the full moon. I envied them as they must have had an amazing time. I contented myself by gazing out the window long after they disappeared."

Now that would freak me out. Did you hear any "baying or howling?"

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Much like Cecilia I was very lucky to get a full moonrise at Finisterre. I was there with a girl I had fallen in love with during the camino and we stayed watching it until night fell over us and everyone had left. ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1382713022.894459.jpg
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1382713035.971233.jpg

Also, that shot with the moon between the towers is lush!

Arriving in Santiago under a full moon must have been very special.

It was totally by accident, I'd resigned myself to a night in possibly the worst albergue imaginable to finish the walk off on when I met a wonderful woman that had been a good friend earlier on the walk. She, too, didn't like the place and I joked that Santiago was only 4km away. She said to me, "why not go? We all have to finish the Camino our own way". I knew it was right, I went to my room, packed my stuff up without a word to anyone and just went. When I saw the full moon following me I knew it was the right thing to do.

I was damn near running into the Plaza Obradoiro I was so excited, it was totally empty and I stood there in front of the cathedral, the moon shining down, alone, laughing my head off with a couple of opera singers in the busker's archway. It was perfect, particularly as it had been such an accident.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stuart - Sometimes the most amazing things happen by accident, or maybe it's not really by accident but it seems that way to mere mortals such as ourselves :). There is a lot going on just outside our consciousness. And the presence of the opera singers just caps it all off beautifully.

Andrew - Where are you starting from? We are starting from Leon (limited time, so we had to start in the "middle") - we arrive in Madrid in the evening of June 4 and will travel to Leon by train the next morning. I am not sure if we will start walking directly from Leon when we arrive or spend the night and start our walk the next morning. We will probably opt for the next morning so we can spend the afternoon exploring Leon.

Hi November_moon
we plan to start at SJDP aim to arrive there evening of 5th june and all going well plan to be in Santiago de Compostella 4th July for my sons 18th birthday.
Buen Camino

You guys will be east of us on the route then. We plan to get into Santiago around June 20 or 21. If we were going to be in the same area about the same time, we would have kept our eyes out for you. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back