• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Camino del Norte for mid-March

shantideva

Time of past OR future Camino
latest: 2021 - Via de la Plata (Sevilla-Salamanca)
Hi all,

My name is Jean-Claude. I am currently planning to walk a section of the Camino del Norte starting mid March. My plans were originally to do that later in the year, but as a trip to Nepal has been cancelled I opted to use that time for my Camino. I guess it's a bit early and the weather will most probably be a bit wet.

The plan was to walk up to Ribadesella or GijĂłn, starting from Irun, knowing that I have 3 weeks (incl. travel). I'll arrive at San Sebastian airport and leave from Oviedo. I don't know if 3 weeks is enough to get close to Oviedo and I would be thankful for any advice before I book my flights.

My first Camino was last year. I did the Camino Ingles, but my original plan was always to walk the northern Camino as I have lived a couple of month in Bilbao many years ago and I would like to cross again that part of the country and merge my new experience with the beautiful memories I have from the northern part of the Spanish Basque country.

JC

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked pretty much the same route. I left Irun last April 6th. I got as far as Luarca before I sprained an ankle pretty bádly. I then left the del Norte, went to Oviedo, and did the primitivo and on to Finistere. Took a total of 43 days. 3 days off for sightseeing, and 4 days off for the sprained ankle. Actual walking time was 35 days.
It was VERY wet! So be prepared to be damp/wet....bring wool! I had no problems with accomodations until the Primitivo merged with the Frances. At that point the entire character of the experience changed for me. I definitely plan to walk more Caminos, hopefully many more, but I will avoid the main way (Camino Frances) as much as possible. I much prefer the quieter, more introspective, less traveled Caminos.
There are threads in the Del Norte forum on how to spend as much time as possible walking along the coast and minimizing the distance walking on the Spanish highway system. I would strongly encourage you to investigate and plan accordingly. I used Magwood’s online blog and the Wise Pilgrim app on my iphone and it was adequate.
By all means plan to do “el purgatorio” on the way out of Irun.
Be aware that a fair number of Albergues will NOT be open anytime during the month of March, and some do not open till May 1st. Also I would suggest you look very carefully at where you will stay over Easter weekend!
Buen Camino...the del Norte/Primitivo experience was one of the highlights of my life and I carry the memories with me at all times!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked pretty much the same route. I left Irun last April 6th. I got as far as Luarca before I sprained an ankle pretty bádly. I then left the del Norte, went to Oviedo, and did the primitivo and on to Finistere. Took a total of 43 days. 3 days off for sightseeing, and 4 days off for the sprained ankle. Actual walking time was 35 days.
It was VERY wet! So be prepared to be damp/wet....bring wool! I had no problems with accomodations until the Primitivo merged with the Frances. At that point the entire character of the experience changed for me. I definitely plan to walk more Caminos, hopefully many more, but I will avoid the main way (Camino Frances) as much as possible. I much prefer the quieter, more introspective, less traveled Caminos.
There are threads in the Del Norte forum on how to spend as much time as possible walking along the coast and minimizing the distance walking on the Spanish highway system. I would strongly encourage you to investigate and plan accordingly. I used Magwood’s online blog and the Wise Pilgrim app on my iphone and it was adequate.
By all means plan to do “el purgatorio” on the way out of Irun.
Be aware that a fair number of Albergues will NOT be open anytime during the month of March, and some do not open till May 1st. Also I would suggest you look very carefully at where you will stay over Easter weekend!
Buen Camino...the del Norte/Primitivo experience was one of the highlights of my life and I carry the memories with me at all times!
Hello David, thank you very much for all the information, especially about the Albergues and the Easter weekend. I will check that thoroughly before leaving as I didn't expect that there might still be some Albergues closed in March.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.