• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Camino del Norte: Tips from experienced hikers

csmit

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hi, folks.

I'm planning to do the Camino del Norte (first timer) from mid June 2024, but I'm not planning to do it through an agency in order to cut on the overhead costs. I'm looking for some experienced hikers to weigh in on things to think about apart from the usual "I need accommodation, food and gear" type things.

One thing that particularly comes to mind is whether or not there's some sort of card or passport I'll need that verifies me as an official Camino pilgrim, especially since from what I've read I understand that the albergues along the way is only for official pilgrims.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes you will need a ‘credential’ as proof of your pilgrimage and to collect stamps (sellos) along the way. This document will also allow you access to such things as albergues (pilgrim hostals). Credentials are available widely, including from the online store on this forum.
A great reference source/site that I came across the other day detailing the Camino del Norte is from ’Stingy Nomads’, just google it and you’ll find it……superb source of info!!
Buen Camino !

Thanks for the info and resources!

Also, might be a silly question, but since there's no registration or so happening apart from carrying the passport, I presume it really doesn't matter where you start/end on the route or which direction you're taking?

I'm asking because I see the planned routes usually all end in Santiago de Compostela, but I'm actually thinking of starting there and ending in San Sebastian or so.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are correct, just walk the route and enjoy yourself. I have come across numerous pilgrims walking the ‘other way’ but usually they have walked to Santiago first and are retracing the trail on foot. The only issue would be if a ‘compostela’ was important to you (the certificate issued by the pilgrim office in Santiago to record your completed pilgrimage)…..I’m pretty sure that in order to qualify, you have to walk at least the last 100 kms on one of the Camino routes in the ‘conventional’ direction into Santiago (collecting at least two sellos a day). Others will know better than me.
I have three ‘compostelas’ and could have had more but the most important keepsake for me of my caminos thus far has been my completed credentials, and don’t worry about just completing one, I’m an avid ‘sello’ collector along the trail and often have two or more completed credentials at the end of my pilgrimages.

One final thought, as I have done some walking in the opposite direction on both the Camino Frances and the Norte……it is sometimes difficult to navigate your way as obviously, Camino shells and yellow arrow markers are placed in places visible to those walking in the conventional direction !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also, might be a silly question, but since there's no registration or so happening apart from carrying the passport, I presume it really doesn't matter where you start/end on the route or which direction you're taking?
The Camino is a pilgrimage to Santiago, so if you are interested in receiving a Compostela certificate you need to finish there. Also as @Martin 888 points out the trail is marked for those heading west. And if you are interested in meeting and walking with others you will want to be walking in the same direction!

I started last year on the Frances and planned to stay there but heat and fires drove my to the Norte. I spent two weeks there from Bilbao until I switched again to the Ingles due to my personal time constraints. The terrain on the Norte was rockier and as I walked, I wondered about whether shoes with a rock plate would be a good idea. I had done minimal investigation into rock plates after reading about their existence in this forum and decided they wouldn't be necessary for the Frances. But now here I was on entirely different terrain. I'll never really know if they would have helped me or not but if I were to walk the Norte again, I would do some serious investigation and I recommend the same for you. I was 72 and my main 'need' for ibuprofen was for the bottoms of my feet.
Also, the Norte trail markings are not quite at prevalent as the Frances even going west. I often used apps that had a little icon of me in order to determine things like the need to take the up path or the down path because there was just no clear indication at that juncture.
Buen Camino

I think it's a really important point. We are doing the Norte for the second time right now and my husband and I frequently comment how hard/ impossible this would be if we were going in the opposite directing.
If you want other pointers:
- get shoes that have a lot of support but that will work well on pavement. A lot of the Norte is paved. Hokas with superfeet inserts work well for me, but footwear is very individual.
-order your credenciál before you leave, just so you don't have to deal with it when you arrive. Your first day will be pretty tough; Irun to San Sebastián. We stayed in San Sebastián 2 nights. After the first night we took a 30 min bus ride in the morning to Irun then walked back to our hotel in San Sebastián( not albergue. Won't work if you stay in an albergue). That way that first day we didn't have to carry our packs. Made it a little bit easier. Just ask ANYONE to sign your credenciál. Bars, panaderias, all hotels, etc. I had this idea the first time that it HAD to be from a church or an albergue. Not the case at all. Everyone has sellos and is happy to "Sellar su credentiál".
Well I could go on and on. You'll do a lot of discovering yourself which is half the fun. The Spanish people are wonderful. Say Hola, Buenos dias to everyone. You will get a " buen camino" back so often. Still warms my heart
Ooh, that's a good point. Haven't thought about that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I saw the Camino described as an "urban trek", and I think that describes it pretty well.
My suggestion, don't overplan ... just let it happen.
"The Camino provides" ... Buen Camino.

Hi, folks.

I'm planning to do the Camino del Norte (first timer) from mid June 2024, but I'm not planning to do it through an agency in order to cut on the overhead costs. I'm looking for some experienced hikers to weigh in on things to think about apart from the usual "I need accommodation, food and gear" type things.

One thing that particularly comes to mind is whether or not there's some sort of card or passport I'll need that verifies me as an official Camino pilgrim, especially since from what I've read I understand that the albergues along the way is only for official pilgrims.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
Hi @csmit, the North coast of Spain provides some great hiking routes. The Camino del Norte is one of the ancient pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela.

Some history and other helpful information about "Camino" here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago

As others have mentioned, to stay in a pilgrim Albergue you'll be expected to carry a Credencial and in some at least you'll probably be expected to be walking to Santiago. Unless you've already done that and hold a Compostela

I walked most of the Norte in my youth. I didn't know it was a Camino and, frankly, there wasn't much Pilgrim infrastructure. My ignorance didn't exclude me from places that didn't exist. I still walk the Camino routes, and use the infrastructure but I do that these days with an understanding of what that means.

Happy planning, and, if you choose to undertake one, Buen Camino

I'm asking because I see the planned routes usually all end in Santiago de Compostela, but I'm actually thinking of starting there and ending in San Sebastian or so.
It’s fine either way, of course. A little more difficult as others have pointed out, but just curious why you’re thinking of starting in Santiago and walking to opposite way?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s fine either way, of course. A little more difficult as others have pointed out, but just curious why you’re thinking of starting in Santiago and walking to opposite way?
It's my first time to Europe and I'd like to go north after doing the Camino, so I thought if I end in/near France I'm probably saving a bit on travel, but based on what folks have said in this thread and some additional research, I think, given especially that it's my first time, that I'd rather stick to doing it the right way. The benefit of doing it "the wrong way around" does not outweigh the risk for me.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.