• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poles or no Poles?

AlanB

I really can't decide. I appreciate that they make your life easier but will they make they walkers lot MUCH easier. I've used them before and I just feel slightly uncomfortable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Allan. I would suggest that you make a search in the forum re 'walking poles' or 'walking sticks. You would get many 'knowledgable' hits to your question.

I wouldn't walk without them. They help stabilize you on steep ascents & descents (of which there are quite a few---that last descent into Hornillos isn't called "Mule Killer" for nuthin'), plus they give your hands something to do while you're walking & keep them from swelling.

Kelly

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Alan - as you can see on the other threads about poles, there are as many answers as there are posters!
I started the Ingles with one (home made) pole, and at first couldn't decide whether it helped or not. Then I left it behind by mistake at Betanzos and found that I got on a lot better sans pole. However, in 2 weeks time I'm starting a course in Nordic walking, and will post an update on completion.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
i will wager a night at the municipal albergue at Salamanca
that many of the stix naysayers
wield theirs like charlie chaplin at an agricultural show
>more for prodding and shoving<
stix DO take some tuition to use proper-like
fortunately theres YouTube
but once youve cracked the secret code
ye shall be liberated
and thine body parts shall be frikken gratefull
then theres no turning back

A pair is essential if you have dodgy knees or are carrying a heavy load (walking the primitivo in winter?) and a single trekking pole is a big help on the downhills after a few days, cos however your knees started out they won't be the same after 10+ days of walking!

With two good knees and a light pack a pair of trekking poles might be unnecessary IMHO and leaving one behind will save you 300 odd grams. the perfect solution I've found is to go with a friend/partner and carry one each, then if you are in dire need you can use both.

I just walked Salisbury to Canterbury and probably wouldn't have finished if I hadn't had my poles as my left knee decided to crap out.

If in doubt look @ 'Pacerpoles', my partner who has never used poles in her life has just tried these for the first time this W/E 30miles, she has done great, her arthritis is no worse for these extra miles. So I think she is sold on them!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't worry- though not as numerous as Germans, you'll meet plenty of Poles on the Camino! :roll:

Telluridewalker said:
Don't worry- though not as numerous as Germans, you'll meet plenty of Poles on the Camino! :roll:

Have read some of your 24yr old memories of your Camino, your time was very special!
Had two 'Poles' rebuild my barn from a wreck, one will be a friend for life. He is trying to build his own house in Poland while living in England. I loose count of how many jobs he has!

My (uncomplaining)partner has arthritis & these wonderful pacerpoles may help her get to Santiago in one piece, So we may have 4 poles on our Camino........ :lol:

Having walked and cycled the il Primitivo, when it cam to walking down the steep sections with a bike, I wished I had my poles as I felt that they gave me more support than leaning on a bike with the brakes on

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll throw in my own story, for what it's worth...

I just finished hiking 2/3rds of the Colorado Trail, from Denver to Creede, CO (350 miles, 28 days). Very different from the Camino, details of which I may post on another thread somewhere.

But as to poles, while I was doing my "shakedown hikes" before the actual trip in the mountains around my home, I found my knees hurting badly, especially on the downhills. I was very worried about how they would feel on the main trip and so I grabbed a friend's set of hiking poles before I left- no knee problems on the Colorado Trail at all!

Now the CT is MUCH more mountainous than the Camino and I found myself stashing the poles in my pack on the few days the trail was flat, but I think the poles saved my knees.

My main dislike of the poles is that instead of thinking about where on the trail to place two appendages, you now have to worry about four.

In summary, I'd leave the poles home unless you have a history of knee problems. I also love the previous idea of bringing one pair for two people to share, as needed.

-from American Pole (John Wontrobski)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
latest count, 4x wobbly legs in their 50's & 4x Pacerpoles not yet 1yr old,
getting their 1st & probably only Camino on 1st April 2013

Take the poles. They make a huge difference. On the uphills, they'll help propel you so that your energy is preserved. On the downhills, they'll save your knees, and the downhills are where people usually get hurt. They also provide balance. Can't recommend them enough.

I recommend at least one pole or stick. Mine helps save me from overbalancing when walking on rough terrain, moving from stone to stone when the track becomes a stream (Galicia), providing help going up steeper hills and eases strain on the thighs / legs on steeper downhills.

I sent my stick (a very special stick to me!) by post to my Seville hotel as airlines and security can be difficult about whether or nor not you can take one with you on or in the aircraft.

gb

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Never used them, never missed them. But it is a very personal thing. I just prefer to walk 'hands free'!

I was a serious "nay sayer" for two Caminos. :oops:
Talked into trying them on a third Camino this year.
In short....I will never go without them again.

I carry one pole for balance on steep descents and creek crossings. I used it a lot this year.

If you decide to take 2 poles, do learn how to use them properly: most people do not.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is the entry I have on my blog about my thoughts on poles.

Trekking Poles. I used two trekking poles (black diamond) every day. I thought they were a lifesaver on mountain segments, but I found them to be great to use on gentle hills and even flats. They relieved stress on my knees on downhalls, helped keep me steady, allowed me to push myself out of a trail obstacle (like cow poop) and helped with balance. I had questioned whether I should bring one or two poles, but I am glad I brought two. I can't imagaine doing the entire camino without a pole or just one pole. I met one person who used Pacer Poles and liked them a lot (she had arthritis issues in a wrist or hand and felt they were easier to use for her). I felt that with regular trekking poles, there were upwards to 6 or 7 different hand positions that made the poles easier to use as i was not just using the same grip.

I started in SJPdP without them and struggled, so I bought 2 sticks in Pamplona and it made a huge difference for me. About two weeks later, I accidentally dropped one of my poles and it slid into a rushing stream, so I was down to one. One worked just fine for me the rest of the way to Santiago. They were especially helpful for me on the descents. Would suggest the rubber tips to avoid the annoying clanking.

http://www.keenfit.com/about-poles/research.asp

this page has a lot of different scientific articles about the benefits of pole walking....I was actually looking for a specific article I read once that said that using 2 poles reduces the stress on your knees by 30% and using 1 pole reduces it by 10-15%. I never go hiking without my poles, and I plan to take them for my Camino this coming December. The trick to them is to use the pole opposite the foot you are stepping with. Once you get into a rhythm, it makes walking and hiking much easier! :D

Ruth

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm a pole fan! I always used one normal walking pole, but last year I had a very painful and swollen knee after the very strenuous descent from the Monastery of S.juan de la Peña. Adriaan gave up his pole for me and what a difference that made! Anne

I am a geocacher, hiker and walker and before the Camino, I never wanted to even consider using poles. However, based on the feedback I had been reading and given, I opted to bring some foldable ones, light and easy to store in my backpack.

Can I tell you that today, I am TOTALLY for poles - - I believe that I would have had so many challenges without my poles... specifically...
- walking from the Cruz de Ferro - you are walking on hundreds of mis-shaped uneven boulders and rocks - a scenario fit for major ankle twisting, falling and bad footing experiences
- walking on muddy roads - I never realized how slippery mud can be! oh my... the poles came in handy so many times for this type of terrain.
- when my back was a bit sore - walking with my poles helped by taking on even the slightest amount of weight off my back -
- helped me keep one lone dog at bay - (ok, so I had chorizo in my backpack - I ended up giving it up for my peace of mind... and it seemed the dog liked it a lot!)
- helped me push some of the brush away from my feet

I know there are many other reasons to use poles, but whatever they are, I don't need to know since I would not ever consider returning without them... in fact, they are in my pack as we speak - waiting for my soon-to-be return to my beloved Camino!

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.