• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pope to walk Camino

Kialoa3

The “Way of St. James” to Santiago, Spain is one of the oldest and most famous pilgrimage routes in Christendom. Of the many routes of varying length to Santiago, “The French Way” is one of the most popular. (The Spanish for “way” is “camino.”)
And in the latest shock in a papacy of many shocks, Pope Francis announced this morning that he will walk the final 36.5 kilometers (c. 22 miles) of “The French Way” from Arzúa to Santiago during this Easter season as a pilgrim on foot.
The announcement was made Monday morning at a hastily called Mass at St. Martha’s Guesthouse. He made the shock announcement after Communion.
It seems that the 76-year-old pope made his decision to go on pilgrimage entirely spontaneously, without prior consultation of Vatican security forces or officials in the tourist industry or police force in Spain. Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi admitted that he had not known of the Holy Father’s plans before Mass, but he stressed that the decision had been made “in a spirit of serenity and with due consideration of its various aspects.”
Early reactions to the announcement varied.
“It’s simply wonderful,” said social justice advocate Sister Simone Campbell of “Nuns on a Bus” fame, tearing up as she spoke. “Brother Francis is walking at our side as our equal. For this, the nuns will get off the bus and walk right with him.”
Liturgists were cautiously supportive of the Pope’s move. “I don’t necessarily see this as a return to the devotionalism of John Paul II,” said Fr. Mark Wedig of the Catholic Academy for Liturgy. “The eucharistic celebration, the paschal mystery, will loom larger than the saint’s bones.” Citing the work of Fr. Ed Foley, Wedig underscored that the eucharist is a verb, not a noun. “Francis knows that, and that’s why he doesn’t genuflect in the eucharistic prayer.”
“There are several things to watch for in this developing story,” observed Vatican commentator John Allen of the National Catholic Reporter. “Will Francis comport himself in quiet prayer, or will he speak out to a national church roiled by controversies about same-sex marriage and other social issues? Which curial cardinals will accompany him, either on foot or being transported by limousine to each of his stops? Is this a one-time thing, or will it become a regular hallmark of this papacy, like World Youth Day for JP2 or ever more antiquated liturgical vestments for B16?” Allen cautioned against reading too much into a story that may prove to be, on balance, rather uneventful.
Popular conservative blogger Fr. Z sees more at play. “This pilgrimage will be really bad news for liberals,” he predicted. “Pope Francis will experience real old-time Catholic piety up close on the camino, and it will change him. We’re talking rosaries, frequent confession, that sort of thing. The people who go on pilgrimage to a saint’s shrine aren’t the kind of people pushing for women priestettes and approval of gay pervert shenanigans. I know this region very well – it’s not that far from Velletri-Segni. People will look back on the Supreme Pontiff’s time with real Catholics in southern Europe as a game-changer for this papacy.”
But Jeffrey Tucker, advocate of traditional sacred music at the Chant Café, downplayed the announcement. “There’s no story here,” he said. “None. If the media would stop playing up this story, if the public would stop being interested in this story, it would evaporate. Look, a pope does 25 or 30 unprecedented things in a few days, and everyone jumps up and down like it’s a rupture or something. It’s not.” Kathy Pluth agreed, stating “Benedict!” and then adding more softly, “Benedict… Benedict…”
Fr. Anthony Ruff of St. John’s Abbey said that he sees no connection to the new English missal in the pope’s announcement, and consequently he could find no comment to make about it.
The pope is expected to wear comfortable walking shoes on the camino, but it is not yet known whether these will be black or brown. Pray Tell will comment on this, as well as the amount of lace worn by acolytes at every liturgical event, while of course avoiding placing undue emphasis on superficial or secondary aspects of the spiritual event.
It has not yet been announced when the Pope will set out on foot as a pilgrim. Easter season extends through Pentecost Sunday, which falls on May 19 this year.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And one of the longest spoofs I have ever read. :D

I knew it was from the moment I read, a hastily called Mass. As if.

And I'm a little green alien from Venus. :mrgreen:

ummmm... I admit that I was "sucked in" (Aussie terminology for "conned"). But I should have realized from my exoerience as a teacher for 30+ years that LIES are long & convoluted with un-necessary detail, whereas TRUTH is generaly short, to the point & direct.

Enrica from OZ
AKA "The Wise One" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But if he does at any time - I am going to be there too!! Mind you, no compostela for 22 miles :wink:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please, God, don't let him do the walk while we are there! Just imagine, the crowds, the press, you won't be able to move for 'outsiders'. While I think the Pope's sentiment is genuine, perhaps it is something he should have done before he became so famous. And, as mentioned below, such a walk would surely change him - that is, if he is allowed any time for self-examination and inner reflection. If he truly wants to do the walk, then perhaps the Vatican should say that he is 'in chambers' while he quietly slips away with a few of his closer staff to walk as any other pilgrimage. But that is just not going to happen.

But it would do him good if only because a leader should keep in touch with his/her people. I have enormous respect for our new Pope - more than any other before him - yet even I know that, sadly, such adulation will surely change him, and not for the better. So a walk, no matter how short, in such a beautiful and sacred area as the Camino could only bring him personal spiritual benefits - if he were allowed to do the walk unencumbered by the trappings of his current position.

tyrrek, I have read reports that when he was younger, and before he was elevated, that Pope Benedict actually was a genuine foot pilgrim along the Camino.

How far he walked and whether he got his Compostella, I don't know, but he had a scallop shell on his Papal shield because of it.

healthytoo
whereas TRUTH is generaly short, to the point & direct.

there's nothing short in generaly. :lol:

The pope's got quite a lot on at the minute and I'm not sure trying to walk the camino right now would be right for either him or the camino. But the idea got me thinking.
How about the recently disgraced/resigned head of the catholic church in Scotland, cardinal Keith O'Brien? Seems to me that from his current rock-bottom state, the camino would be a good place to start, to walk some of the way back towards redemption - with himself, with the people who know him and with his god.
So if anyone's in a position to make the suggestion...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
peregrino_tom said:
So if anyone's in a position to make the suggestion...
Think I've got enough to examine in my own life. So it wouldn't be me.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back