• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Final Walk

Copas

Time of past OR future Camino
Arriving Bilbao on Oct 20th and walking for 6 days from Pamplona. We previously walked SJPP to Pamp
My wife and I start our last section on Monday Sept 18th walking from Sarria to Santiago. We started our Camino adventure back in May 2018. To ensure we get the most out of our last 5 days walking, are there any recommendations/must dos to ensure we get the most out of our last leg. We've had a brilliant adventure from our first walk in May 2018 when we booked 3 days to see how'd we get on.
Apologies to admin as I previously posted in the incorrect area.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walk slowly, take a lot of photos, eat pulpo at Melide, eat cheese at Arzua, eta, eat, eat.... :rolleyes:H....
Pray to Gods of the Weather that it is nice and sunny by the time you come to Monte de Gozo so you can see the Cathedral (keep in mind - you have to go a bit of ways to get to where the Pilgrims Status is)
Stick your nose into every church, ermita and anything in between - they are wonderful.
Good luck and Buen Camino

Depending on what you want to see and do. There is an Iron Age Castro between Gonzar and Hospital that is an interesting side trip just a walking path which rejoins the Camino on the other side of the castro. Also if you want to take a cab to Castle Pembre from Melide. Also a wonderful church Villa de Donas is another good side trip before Palais de Rey that you might make by cab.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Depending on what you want to see and do. There is an Iron Age Castro between Gonzar and Hospital that is an interesting side trip just a walking path which rejoins the Camino on the other side of the castro. Also if you want to take a cab to Castle Pembre from Melide. Also a wonderful church Villa de Donas is another good side trip before Palais de Rey that you might make by cab.
Oh YEah! I forgot about that!!!! :) - I'd say it definitely worth a detour which is not really a 'detour'
Castro de Castromaior - its no more than 1km after the village of Catromaior...just follow the Camino and look for a marker to your left. If you miss it and continue to walk the Camino - a ridge or a hill of a sort if you will appear on your left - its on the other side. continue to walk until the ridge flattens out and you'll see another point of entry\exit. If you Google-map it you will see what I'm talking about.

Vilar de Donas is definitely worth a visit. The almost Byzantine fresco of the resurrected Christ, alone and bewildered in his tomb, was painted by someone who knew what they were doing. The assortment of later stuff has never seemed so striking. The guardian arrives at 11 to open up and goes to lunch at 2

Edit: here’s some details https://m.arteguias.com/monasterio/sansalvadorvilardonas.htm

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wholeheartedly concur with these suggestions. I missed the castle, but the castro and Villa de Donas were highlights of my walk from Sarria last year. I was not able to go into the church, but I understand that it is open occasionally - just not when I was there. I may go back just for that experience!!

As you approach Portomarin there is a choice of routes, virtually no difference in distance. But, take the right one. The left is very innocuous for a while then comes to a very steep drop with loose, slippery stones, long drops between steps (I saw some women going down on their bums), no handholds. Just not worth it

Attachments

• 20190624_131843.jpg
    20190624_131843.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20190624_132140.jpg
    20190624_132140.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20190624_132324.jpg
    20190624_132324.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back