• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time/temperature to walk the Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
After walking on the Camino in bad heat 3 times, I am committed to trying to find the ideal temperature for me (barring an unusual cold or hot front coming through). Heat above 75 to 80 degrees just zaps my energy and I’m trying to avoid temps in the 40’s except maybe in the first few hours. I walk best in 50 to 70 degree fahrenheit temperatures.
In 2023, right now I’m looking at starting about May 10th and will be walking from Roncesvalle to Burgos.
Does anyone have any advise/experience to let me know if this is the best educated guess to achieve my desired temperature range. Any pitfalls anyone can foresee if I start around this date? Does anyone think I should start a little bit earlier or later?
Thank you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For what it's worth, which admittedly isn't much because I have no direct experience, I watched the temps of all the cities and towns along the CF closely every day in May/June 2022, and observed:

- regardless of the date, Roncesvalle seems to be consistently colder than any other city along the way. Temperature there was usually 5-10 degrees (c) cooler. So looking at the temps here can be a bit misleading with regards to the rest of the route.

- From mid-May to the end of June, I saw huge differences in temps, depending on the day and the location. But overall I found that most locations along the CF were at least 20 degrees (c), and often much higher in the afternoon.

- The night temps are significantly colder than the day temps at that time of year, or at least it seems that way to me. I noticed a big difference between nighttime lows and daytime highs in May/June 2022.

So if you're hoping for cooler weather, you might want to consider departing earlier than May 10, or ensure you walk early mornings. Once you get beyond Roncevalles you're likely to get relatively hot weather during the afternoon. That said, I'm sure there will be those that will report cold rain and even snow in May, so it's difficult to predict.

My situation is somewhat the opposite of you. I hate the cold and love the heat (within reason). I'm therefore planning on departing SJPDP on May 15, hoping to avoid most or all of the cold, but also avoiding the hottest of the hot days. So we're both considering leaving around the same time, and both hoping for the opposite weather :). Hopefully we somehow both get our wish.

Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can use WeatherSpark.com to check historical weather patterns any place in the world.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For what it's worth, which admittedly isn't much because I have no direct experience, I watched the temps of all the cities and towns along the CF closely every day in May/June 2022, and observed:

- regardless of the date, Roncesvalle seems to be consistently colder than any other city along the way. Temperature there was usually 5-10 degrees (c) cooler. So looking at the temps here can be a bit misleading with regards to the rest of the route.

- From mid-May to the end of June, I saw huge differences in temps, depending on the day and the location. But overall I found that most locations along the CF were at least 20 degrees (c), and often much higher in the afternoon.

- The night temps are significantly colder than the day temps at that time of year, or at least it seems that way to me. I noticed a big difference between nighttime lows and daytime highs in May/June 2022.

So if you're hoping for cooler weather, you might want to consider departing earlier than May 10, or ensure you walk early mornings. Once you get beyond Roncevalles you're likely to get relatively hot weather during the afternoon. That said, I'm sure there will be those that will report cold rain and even snow in May, so it's difficult to predict.

My situation is somewhat the opposite of you. I hate the cold and love the heat (within reason). I'm therefore planning on departing SJPDP on May 15, hoping to avoid most or all of the cold, but also avoiding the hottest of the hot days. So we're both considering leaving around the same time, and both hoping for the opposite weather :). Hopefully we somehow both get our wish.

Buen camino.
Wow, great informatio. I may consider leaving a week earlier. I could find monthly average temperatures only. If you know where of a website that gives daily temperatures, could you let me know please.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The main pitfall of seeking the cooler weather is that MANY have the same idea every year, so that those periods, in Spring or Autumn, are the most crowded, the 100K from Sarria to Santiago excepted, that's crowded from April to October.

I walked both my CF around that time. I think i started them May 14th in SJPDP.

On my first, i started with perfect hiking weather, up until maybe Burgos, had a bit of a warm spell over the meseta, ran into a serious cold wave after Astorga, including a bit of snow at Foncebadon, and ended with again pretty decent hiking weather from Samos till Santiago.

On the second, i started in a quite windy situation over the Pyrenees, ran into a heat wave from Zubiri till Najerea (up to 35C), had a bit of cold spell afterwards (maybe just in comparison) and had pretty much perfect weather from Burgos till Santiago. Maybe with one day with a bit of rain after Villafranca (B).

So you see, weather at the time might have a tendency but can be a bit unpredictable as well. I really liked the weather both times, but was happy to have a clothing system that works from freezing point upwards to the 30s (°C). Liked my gloves a lot for the mornings. Loved my wind prove lightly insulated jacket. For the really hot days, i liked a very thin, long sleeved shirt better than the T-Shirts. And the sun hat. That really saved my pale skin.

After walking on the Camino in bad heat 3 times, I am committed to trying to find the ideal temperature for me (barring an unusual cold or hot front coming through). Heat above 75 to 80 degrees just zaps my energy and I’m trying to avoid temps in the 40’s except maybe in the first few hours. I walk best in 50 to 70 degree fahrenheit temperatures.
In 2023, right now I’m looking at starting about May 10th and will be walking from Roncesvalle to Burgos.
Does anyone have any advise/experience to let me know if this is the best educated guess to achieve my desired temperature range. Any pitfalls anyone can foresee if I start around this date? Does anyone think I should start a little bit earlier or later?
Thank you
Hi.
I don't know if this will help but I have walked in Arril, May, June, July. September and October. In my opinion the best weather and most agreeable temperatures were in September and October.
Buen Camino
Vince

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you
My husband and I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Leon this last Sept/Oct, and had to stop due to both of us getting Covid. We are looking to go back to finish in April, hopefully avoiding heat and crowds. I think walking in the Spring is your best bet ( although you never know for sure) to getting cooler weather. We hiked the Camino Portuguese last March/April, and our weather was cool and perfect for us. Buen Camino!

I walked the CF starting May 11 this year.. The weather was mostly great, but we did have a heatwave the first week. I remember the temps dropping from 90f to 50f in one day when starting the meseta! That said, it was a beautiful time to walk w spring flowers and minimal rain. Of course, every year is different.

I walked the CF 10 years ago in May and had temperatures between 4 degrees C and 36 degrees C. Everything is possible, there is nothing predictical about the weather.
But, there is one thing you can certainly be sure of: May is the busiest period on the CF, you will be in a bed-race amongst many, many others ....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I talk to folks who have walked numerous routes & locations over multiple years, no year is the same for rain/snow. Yet I do take notice that some settle into a fall walk Oct- Nov or an Early April Thru May. Then you meet the folks who really like the heat. July - August.
Personally I like the spring as everything is green & the alburguie folks volunteering, shop keepers are fresh for the next years human flow. In any case try to slow down & enjoy the experience.
Buen Camino
Keith

I think the proper temperature to walk likely comes down to what temperatures you are used to where you live.
Living in northern Alberta, summer temperatures above 30 C are exceedingly rare.
During my daily walks, I still go out for my walks in the winter at -30C.
I have always felt it is easier to dress for cold than it is for hot weather.
While both extreme cold and hot can be dangerous, I personally tolerate cold much more than extremely hot weather.
Again it is personal preference.
I typically have found the weather in late March to early April to be ideal walking weather in Spain and Portugal and for five of my six walks this has been the time period we walked in.

Thank you
I started same time ( 15 May 2017 2018). Beutiful weather no in 17 and completely different the following year. The weather is hard to predict.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm 65 and somewhat fit (almost 4 caminoes). My sweet spot is 60f/15.5c. A little chilly for the first 20 minutes but I can trek all day after that. I can walk in the heat but I'm extra careful about staying hydrated.

crackpot

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back