• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago - Coastal Route : Rest Days

JoJoPee

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
I’m planning my first Camino in May 2024. I’m looking for suggestions for two rest days. Please give me your best suggestions and why they your best.

Much appreciated
Jo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It really depends on what a rest day means to you. I take mine in towns or cities that have the most to offer tourism-wise to give me things to do on my 'rest day'. With that approach, I would probably suggest Viana do Castelo and Pontevedra.

But maybe you want an actual rest day in the true sense of the word where you don't really do much, and/or you splurge on a nice hotel with a pool or other facilities, and/or where you go to the beach if that's your thing, since you'll be near the coast for the first half of your camino. If that's the case, I'm sure others can make better suggestions than I can.

Agree with Viana and Pontevedra, unless you want to take a beach day in the hotel in Amorosa. I wouldn't suggest Vigo, though some of our fellow walkers stayed two nights in a spa hotel there and not really in the city. We didn't have rest days, but we had 3-4 shorter days where we only walked ~10 km, enough to get to a new place to explore but not enough to be to tired to explore it. Enjoy your planning!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It really depends on what a rest day means to you. I take mine in towns or cities that have the most to offer tourism-wise to give me things to do on my 'rest day'. With that approach, I would probably suggest Viana do Castelo and Pontevedra.

But maybe you want an actual rest day in the true sense of the word where you don't really do much, and/or you splurge on a nice hotel with a pool or other facilities, and/or where you go to the beach if that's your thing, since you'll be near the coast for the first half of your camino. If that's the case, I'm sure others can make better suggestions than I can.
I’m looking for things to do, so will follow your advise. Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back