• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues Costal route in June

azzy

Time of past OR future Camino
june (2016)
Hi
I am planning on walking the Costal Route in June. Do I need a sleeping bag or is a silk liner enough?
ann

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Three points:

1. A liner is more than enough... Bringing a sleeping bag on the Portuguese coastal route, in June is counter-productive, IMHO...

2. With the prevailing sea breezes, you will not feel hot or thirsty. Be CAREFUL. Dehydration can sneaky up on you. Try to drink at least .5 liters of non-alcoholic liquid per-hour walked. There are adequate cafes and shops along the route to obtain bottled water. I do not recall seeking fountains, but they are likely there.

I did this route, Porto to Santiago in early April 2015. The sky was cloudless and blue, the temperature was 27 (C), about 80 - 81 (F). I failed to drink enough as I did not FEEL thirsty. The result was three sudden onset episodes of syncope (fainting). My doctors in the US were livid when I returned home to a full and thorough cardiac workup. You do not want to KNOW how angry my wife was...

Prevention is better than the cure.

Other than this, the walk was wonderful. You will find the Portuguese people speak more and better English than their cousins in Spain. TV is subtitled in Portugal and not dubbed. Obtaining assistance was never a problem.

3. TIP #3 - One MUST STAY tip. Casa Fernanda! Fernanda and her husband operate an albergue out of their home. The sleeping facilities and showers are first-rate. They are in a cabin in the back garden / yard. The food is outstanding and there is plenty of it.

Fernanda is one of the many Camino Angels you will encounter. If you phone her before arriving, she will know how much food to obtain and prepare. Plus, you can reserve a bed in advance in this private albergue. Her number is +35. 191.458.9521. CALL BEFORE YOU LEAVE PORTO, or at least a day or two before you plan on arriving, so you know you have a bed. Both Fernanda and Jacinto speak fairly good English. Her fresh baked, homemade bread is "to die for..."

See this related posting: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/casa-de-fernanda.32535/

I hope this helps.

Thank you! Fernanda is well-known. This will be my first camino and I will be sure to stop there. And i will make sure to drink lots of water. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked this, Fernanda's was a great party night - 5 litres is a bit OTT!

Three points:

1. A liner is more than enough... Bringing a sleeping bag on the Portuguese coastal route, in June is counter-productive, IMHO...

2. With the prevailing sea breezes, you will not feel hot or thirsty. Be CAREFUL. Dehydration can sneaky up on you. Try to drink at least .5 liters of non-alcoholic liquid per-hour walked. There are adequate cafes and shops along the route to obtain bottled water. I do not recall seeking fountains, but they are likely there.

I did this route, Porto to Santiago in early April 2015. The sky was cloudless and blue, the temperature was 27 (C), about 80 - 81 (F). I failed to drink enough as I did not FEEL thirsty. The result was three sudden onset episodes of syncope (fainting). My doctors in the US were livid when I returned home to a full and thorough cardiac workup. You do not want to KNOW how angry my wife was...

Prevention is better than the cure.

Other than this, the walk was wonderful. You will find the Portuguese people speak more and better English than their cousins in Spain. TV is subtitled in Portugal and not dubbed. Obtaining assistance was never a problem.

3. TIP #3 - One MUST STAY tip. Casa Fernanda! Fernanda and her husband operate an albergue out of their home. The sleeping facilities and showers are first-rate. They are in a cabin in the back garden / yard. The food is outstanding and there is plenty of it.

Fernanda is one of the many Camino Angels you will encounter. If you phone her before arriving, she will know how much food to obtain and prepare. Plus, you can reserve a bed in advance in this private albergue. Her number is +35. 191.458.9521. CALL BEFORE YOU LEAVE PORTO, or at least a day or two before you plan on arriving, so you know you have a bed. Both Fernanda and Jacinto speak fairly good English. Her fresh baked, homemade bread is "to die for..."

See this related posting: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/casa-de-fernanda.32535/

I hope this helps.
image.jpeg

On behalf of Fernanda and Jacinto -where we are now- hope to see you all who are passing by in Vitorino dos Piães on the Portuguese central caminho.

Merry Xmas and happy new year.

Bom caminho

Wonderful photo! Thank you for posting it.

Just being in Fernanda's kitchen was like being "home."

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back