• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Price of accomodations (cheap dorm style)

Michelle_McA

Paso corto, vista larga
Time of past OR future Camino
Bonjour tous!

I will be walking the Le Puy route to St. Jean in April 2014. I previously walked the Camino Frances. I am wondering about the average price for dorm-style lodging along the Le Puy route. I think the Gites are the cheapest and are there donation-based municipally-run gites, too? Can anyone give a range in Euros? I know on the Camino Frances prices were about 5 Euros for a bed. Just looking for the price of a simple bed. Nothing more. I bought the Michelin guide to walk with since I found the Miam Miam guidebook too heavy and way too detailed.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I reduced the weight of my MMD copy by razoring out the unnecessary pages at the start, and tearing out the "past history" as I went along. Now there is an app for the MMD, so there is no additional weight. I'm not sure why one wouldn't refer to the basic information document for this route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Miam Miam website doesn't have all the accommodation listings that the book has. I imagine they have to pay extra perhaps to be on the website. Anyway, sometimes you need the book to find somewhere, particularly if you are working within a budget. I too ditched all the extra pages before I left and the ones I used along the route.

Most of the Gites d'etapes were from 11 euros and average was about 30-35 euros half board last April to June when I walked.

I believe what was recommended was the MMDD app, not a web site. The iPhone app has all the info the print version has and lots of additional functionality.

That said, it doesn't appear that the 2014 guide is available yet.

Bill

I've purchased the 2014 guide and it arrived today - definitely 2014 publication.
Megg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The MMDD was way too heavy and detailed, I thought, I walked from Geneva in 2012 and got to Le Puy after about 2 weeks. It is relatively easy to get lighter guides and information from local tourist information centres. I don't remember many (any?) donativo places...

Cost...? I am not extravagant, but I also like to have a coffee when I want one, and to have a glass (or two) of wine in the evening with food... so, I remember thinking that while 25-30 euros would be adequate in Spain, 40-50 euros a day would be nearer the mark in France.

I did meet a Polish guy who was walking (from Poland) with a fishing rod in his back pack, and on a budget of 5 euros a day, though!

It was my second Camino. I had walked from SJPP the previous year. Walking in France is physically tougher than in Spain. Very up and down! But the scenery is wonderful and some of the towns and villages are spectacular - Le Puy, Conques, Cahors...

Ahhhhh, I want to go back! Enjoy it!

Geraint

??????? Cutting out the "un-needed" parts? Razoring out used pages??? My Miam Miam weighs in a a whopping 250 grams! This is a reason to deface, destroy, and mutilate a book? All right,, you don't want to know anything at all about the places you are moving through, pretty lights, shiny ornaments, and panoramic views are enough for many people. Why in the name of all that is good should one obilerate the efforts of the good people who worked diligently to produce this valuable document? Because it weighs 250 grams?

I believe what was recommended was the MMDD app, not a web site. The iPhone app has all the info the print version has and lots of additional functionality.

That said, it doesn't appear that the 2014 guide is available yet.

Bill

Do you need internet connection to access the info in the MMDD app? I know there some Camino/Chemin apps that require no internet service to work. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Would the iPhone app work on an ipad? They make a point of saying iPhone only.

Miam Miam Dodo works on the iPad as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you need internet connection to access the info in the MMDD app? I know there some Camino/Chemin apps that require no internet service to work. Thanks!

You don't need an internet connection, just phone service.

Bill

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back