• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seven days of walking in France prior to St. Jean de Pied Port

SignedIn

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 Camino Francés SJPdP to Leon
Hi,

My plan is to fly to Biarritz in early May make my way to St. Jean de Pied Port. I have two proposed routes. I like the Camino Frances, but I want to see more countryside (plus I am birdwatcher) so the Pyrenees are interesting. I’d like some interaction mixed in with the walking so ideally semi regular villages so I can have a coffee/snack/beer/practice my basic French (or maybe walking in France is very different to walking in Spain and I am being unrealistic).

Any thoughts on the following?

Route One
From Biarritz take the train to Saint Jean de Luz and walk to Hendaye and spend the night. Following morning I'll join the GR10 and take a week to get to St. Jean de Pied Port.

Route Two

(I've borrowed from a suggestion by Pelerina found on this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-sjpp-or-bayonne-3-6-days.83233/#post-1184566)

From Biarritz get train to Bayonne and train to Orthez and then walk the 16 kms to Arthez-de-Béarn on the Puy Camino and make my way to SJdPP

From St. Jean de Pied Port I'll continue on to Pamplona and then return to Biarritz. More than happy to spend one further night in Pyrnees if anyone has suggestions of a particularly nice place or fly out an alternative airport if convenient.

All the best,
Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The GR10 is a fabulous route though there are some tough days with a lot of up and down. The coastal path from St Jean de Luz is closed due to cliff erosion as far as Abbadie though you can walk a little way inland. It's a nice coastal walk from Guethary to St Jean de Luz, you could get off the train there.

I acknowledge that your goal is SJPdP. Even so, let me offer you an alternative. Since you are starting in Biarritz/Bayonne (they are practically twin towns), if you are up for a real Pyrenees adventure, walk the Baztan to Pamplona. You can get a Baztan credencial at the cathedral in Bayonne. Then walk the Baztan, which you probably can do in 5 days, despite two major uphills. From there you can bus to San Sebastian or Bilbao and fly out of there. An unforgettable week.

Walking in France is completely different than walking in Spain. Both are beautiful and truly memorable, but no comparison. But walking in Basque high country is also unique. The locals will envelop you since they don't get that many erromesak (pilgrims). And they are all at least trilingual, which opften includes English since almost everyone in the Baztan valley has a relative in Idaho, Utah or California who migrated there!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
in Sept 2022 my best friend, my oldest son and I began our Camino in LePuy, France on the GR65 Camino route. We walked for 7 days ending up in a small town in the middle of nowhere. It took us an entire day of taxi and trains to arrive in SJPP to begin the remainder of our Camino.

This was the most magnificent 7 days of the walk. The terrain, the food, the people were great. However you decide to spend seven days in France I highly recommend it. You will not regret it.

Buen Camino
Bob

The GR10 is a fabulous route though there are some tough days with a lot of up and down. The coastal path from St Jean de Luz is closed due to cliff erosion as far as Abbadie though you can walk a little way inland. It's a nice coastal walk from Guethary to St Jean de Luz, you could get off the train there.
Thanks for that. I get that the hiking is more demading. What's it like in terms of food? Would I need to bring lunch each day between the night time stops?

I acknowledge that your goal is SJPdP. Even so, let me offer you an alternative. Since you are starting in Biarritz/Bayonne (they are practically twin towns), if you are up for a real Pyrenees adventure, walk the Baztan to Pamplona. You can get a Baztan credencial at the cathedral in Bayonne. Then walk the Baztan, which you probably can do in 5 days, despite two major uphills. From there you can bus to San Sebastian or Bilbao and fly out of there. An unforgettable week.

Walking in France is completely different than walking in Spain. Both are beautiful and truly memorable, but no comparison. But walking in Basque high country is also unique. The locals will envelop you since they don't get that many erromesak (pilgrims). And they are all at least trilingual, which opften includes English since almost everyone in the Baztan valley has a relative in Idaho, Utah or California who migrated there!
Thanks Anthony. I really enoyed the night I spent in SJPdP and would rather not bypass it. Perhaps I could walk the Baztan in the other direction - from Pamplona back to Bayonne.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for that. I get that the hiking is more demading. What's it like in terms of food? Would I need to bring lunch each day between the night time stops?
Oh My goodness no bag lunches. The food is out of this world. One night we sat down for dinner, and it is always a family style meal in a gite, at 7:00pm. We did not get up until 10:30. It was a 4 course French cuisine. Just outstanding. They provided us a good breakfast and asked if we wanted lunch to go. Other places are restaurant style. But always good. There are not the coffee shops every 5 km like the CF. But you will not go hungry. Just ask where the next stop is before you leave in the morning. they will not let you go hungry.

Enjoy Bob

Thanks Anthony. I really enoyed the night I spent in SJPdP and would rather not bypass it. Perhaps I could walk the Baztan in the other direction - from Pamplona back to Bayonne.
It is a beautiful village, and when we went back to visit last May (the first time in 10 years), we were stunned that they suddenly had decided to put their Basqueness outfront. 10 years ago, it seemed like delightful French village. Now when you walk down the main street, it's Basque souvenirs everywhere. Of course, they've always been Basque. I guess they decided it was time to really come out.

You can walk from Pamplona. Gerard Kelly has an excellent guidebook for you to follow.

Wow, the descriptions by Robert are making us rethink out plans for this year. We were thinking of walking the Via Francigena, Lucca to Seinna, but now we are not sure. Just looked online at a few websites and the photos/descriptions are outstanding. When we walked SJPP to SdC in 2023 we took of on forwarding a small bag between stops to lighten our load. Is this service available on the LePuy Camino route or do we need to toughen up :). Look forward to any feedback as we are busy re-planning our trip at the moment.

Michael & Margaret in OZ

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Route Two

(I've borrowed from a suggestion by Pelerina found on this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-sjpp-or-bayonne-3-6-days.83233/#post-1184566)

From Biarritz get train to Bayonne and train to Orthez and then walk the 16 kms to Arthez-de-Béarn on the Puy Camino and make my way to SJdPP
Hi Tom - regarding this idea - just to say that we were back on this section of the Le Puy Way this past October, after I'd posted this suggestion, and it was as beautiful as ever. This time we stayed in some of our favourite gites (in Arthez de Bearn and Aroue) and in ones we hadn't stayed in before (in Navarrenx and Larceveau) - all with a very warm welcome, great facilities and delicious communal dinners and breakfasts).

All the best whatever you decide. Bon chemin. Buen Camino.

Wow, the descriptions by Robert are making us rethink out plans for this year. We were thinking of walking the Via Francigena, Lucca to Seinna, but now we are not sure. Just looked online at a few websites and the photos/descriptions are outstanding. When we walked SJPP to SdC in 2023 we took of on forwarding a small bag between stops to lighten our load. Is this service available on the LePuy Camino route or do we need to toughen up :). Look forward to any feedback as we are busy re-planning our trip at the moment.

Michael & Margaret in OZ
We walked the Le Puy camino a few months ago in September/October. It is an unforgettable camino, well marked, well served. The Malle Postale provides superb baggage movement. The scenery, the villages, the cuisine, the history...this is the first time we've been to the Old France. Because it retains so much of the old French traditions and culture, it's a favorite of the French, especially the first part to Conques. After that it thins out, but the highlights just keep coming and coming.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
in Sept 2022 my best friend, my oldest son and I began our Camino in LePuy, France on the GR65 Camino route. We walked for 7 days ending up in a small town in the middle of nowhere. It took us an entire day of taxi and trains to arrive in SJPP to begin the remainder of our Camino.

This was the most magnificent 7 days of the walk. The terrain, the food, the people were great. However you decide to spend seven days in France I highly recommend it. You will not regret it.

Buen Camino
Bob
Where did you start and was it primarily dirt or paved?

We walked the Le Puy camino a few months ago in September/October. It is an unforgettable camino, well marked, well served. The Malle Postale provides superb baggage movement. The scenery, the villages, the cuisine, the history...this is the first time we've been to the Old France. Because it retains so much of the old French traditions and culture, it's a favorite of the French, especially the first part to Conques. After that it thins out, but the highlights just keep coming and coming.
Anthony, Thanks for the response and useful info. We will investigate further but are very excited at the prospect of doing this walk. M&M

Hi, We will be in Europe for 4 months this year, part of which will be dedicated to walking Le Puy to Conques in October. Being in Europe for so long we will have, in addition to our backpacks, a suitcase each of approx 25kg with our non hiking and winter gear (we are having Christmas in the UK). Does anyone know if it is possible to forward a suitcase from Le Puy to Conques, similar to the service on the CF from SJPP to CdS? Appreciate any help or suggestions. Michael and Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @M&M from OZ,

La Malle Postale is a well known luggage transfer service on this route. They can store your suitcases in Le Puy and deliver them to you at the end of your walk in Conques.

LMP are very responsive and they speak English. You can email them or submit a quote online. One thing to be aware of is baggage weight limits - most providers have a maximum of about 15kg. You might need to check with them if your bags are 25kg.

Hope this helps and bon chemin.

Hi @M&M from OZ,

La Malle Postale is a well known luggage transfer service on this route. They can store your suitcases in Le Puy and deliver them to you at the end of your walk in Conques.

LMP are very responsive and they speak English. You can email them or submit a quote online. One thing to be aware of is baggage weight limits - most providers have a maximum of about 15kg. You might need to check with them if your bags are 25kg.

Hope this helps and bon chemin.
Thanks for the info, we will follow up with LMP. M&M

Hi,

My plan is to fly to Biarritz in early May make my way to St. Jean de Pied Port. I have two proposed routes. I like the Camino Frances, but I want to see more countryside (plus I am birdwatcher) so the Pyrenees are interesting. I’d like some interaction mixed in with the walking so ideally semi regular villages so I can have a coffee/snack/beer/practice my basic French (or maybe walking in France is very different to walking in Spain and I am being unrealistic).

Any thoughts on the following?

Route One
From Biarritz take the train to Saint Jean de Luz and walk to Hendaye and spend the night. Following morning I'll join the GR10 and take a week to get to St. Jean de Pied Port.

Route Two

From St. Jean de Pied Port I'll continue on to Pamplona and then return to Biarritz. More than happy to spend one further night in Pyrnees if anyone has suggestions of a particularly nice place or fly out an alternative airport if convenient.

All the best,
Tom
Tom,

Why not join the GR65 at Air-sur-l'Adour and walk straight through to Pamplona? The week walking through the foothills on the GR65 would get you into fine fettle for the climb over the Pyrenees. The countryside is beautiful, in fact everything is beautiful there.

I recommend the Miami Miami Dodo guides because I used them a while back and they were invaluable: https://www.levieuxcrayon.com/accue...ion-2-de-cahors-a-roncevaux-edition-2023.html. I see they are publishing it as an e-guide this year.

Also, we walked to SJPdP from Larceveau, did some sightseeing, had lunch and started the climb to a site at Huntto (other sites are available). It was tough work, but to my mind, less tough than starting the day 5kms back at SJPdP.

Have a look and see what you think.

All the best,
Ian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is 7 days from Lourdes to SJPP on the piedmont. Gronze has it their website. Lourdes is definitely worth a visit anytime and in May they have a celebration of the armed services around the world that is very impressive. It is good walking I enjoyed it some years ago.

You definitely need a pack lunch for the iparla ridge. You can get lunch at ferme Esteban between Ainhoa and bidarray. Nothing between baigorry and sjpdp but it is quite a short day. The gr10 is a tough mountain walk and you should be prepared with food, water and appropriate clothing

Tom,

Why not join the GR65 at Air-sur-l'Adour and walk straight through to Pamplona? The week walking through the foothills on the GR65 would get you into fine fettle for the climb over the Pyrenees. The countryside is beautiful, in fact everything is beautiful there.

I recommend the Miami Miami Dodo guides because I used them a while back and they were invaluable: https://www.levieuxcrayon.com/accue...ion-2-de-cahors-a-roncevaux-edition-2023.html. I see they are publishing it as an e-guide this year.

Also, we walked to SJPdP from Larceveau, did some sightseeing, had lunch and started the climb to a site at Huntto (other sites are available). It was tough work, but to my mind, less tough than starting the day 5kms back at SJPdP.

Have a look and see what you think.

All the best,
Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that. I had a look at the transport options and it appears I can get a train from Biarritz or Bayonne to Pau (with a change at Dax) and then a bus from the train station on to Air-sur-l'Adour so this is a possible route. (https://transports.nouvelle-aquitai...t-horaires/pyrenees-atlantiques#titre_h2_2279) Could also get Blablacar bus from Airport to Pau.

From a brief glance of the route from Air-sur-l'Adour to SJPdP there looks to be lots of villages to stop at regular intervals so that is appealing - I like having the walk broken up and having the opportunity to snack regularly :)

That's a fair point about not staying in SJPdP. I liked the atmosphere there and am inclined to stay there anyway.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You definitely need a pack lunch for the iparla ridge. You can get lunch at ferme Esteban between Ainhoa and bidarray. Nothing between baigorry and sjpdp but it is quite a short day. The gr10 is a tough mountain walk and you should be prepared with food, water and appropriate clothing
Thanks Stephen. I'm not at that level of hiking yet so I'll join the Puy.

Hi Tom - regarding this idea - just to say that we were back on this section of the Le Puy Way this past October, after I'd posted this suggestion, and it was as beautiful as ever. This time we stayed in some of our favourite gites (in Arthez de Bearn and Aroue) and in ones we hadn't stayed in before (in Navarrenx and Larceveau) - all with a very warm welcome, great facilities and delicious communal dinners and breakfasts).

All the best whatever you decide. Bon chemin. Buen Camino.
Thanks Pelerina. I think I can get to Air-sur-l'Adour as suggested by Drumbo_hiker. Any thoughts on where I might stay one night on my bus/train journey back to Biarritz from Pamplona?

Thanks Pelerina. I think I can get to Air-sur-l'Adour as suggested by Drumbo_hiker. Any thoughts on where I might stay one night on my bus/train journey back to Biarritz from Pamplona?
Hi, I’m not sure what you are asking. Somewhere to stay in Biarritz or to stop overnight between Pamplona and Biarritz?

If the latter I’d have an afternoon and overnight stay in Hondarribia. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back