• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private Accommodation

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
I tried to add my comments to one of the existing threads on private accommodation but each time I clicked on a thread, I got a message, "This Web site has a redirect loop" and it wouldn't let me access the thread. So, I just wanted to weigh in on my favorite places to stay on my recent Camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago in May and June, 2013.

I stayed in a combination of private hostals, pensiones as well as private rooms in albergues, which to me has the best of both worlds, a quiet room to sleep in plus the camaraderie of fellow pilgrims. The following were my favorites; all had excellent service with friendly and helpful staff, and were attractive and clean.

Barcelona – Barcelona Central Garden
Viana – Pension San Pedro
Cañas – La Casona (side trip to monasteries)
Santo Domingo de Calzada – Hostal Rey Pedro
Hornillos del Camino – Casa Rural El Molino
Boadilla del Camino – Albergue El Camino
Población de Campos – Amanecer de Campos
Leon - Hostal San Martin
Hospital de Ă“rbigo - CT Rural Nuestra Senora de Lourdes
San Mamed del Camino – Albergue Paloma y Lena
Mercadoiro – Albergue Mercadoiro
O Coto - Casa de los Somozas
Santiago – Hospederia San Martin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola

Thank you for sharing.
About "This Web site has a redirect loop" :

Clear your browsers cache to have the website reset and you will not get this error again.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lennyh1 said:
Jochen, Is that list available in English. Looks pretty good.Thanks, Lenny
Thanks for your praise.
No. My list is not available in English. But I think even non German speakers can decipher the basic informations in it.
And I think the value of my accomodation guide is that it lists not only the the pilgrims refuges but also other accomodations and the nearly 'up to the day' actuality. Especially ladies need sometimes some privacy in a private room in a hotel or guest house which they cannot find in the sometimes crowded mass refuges. :(
Buen Camino
Jochen

If you're viewing the web page using the desktop/laptop version of Chrome, it should be able to translate the site. That doesn't seem to be a feature on the mobile (iOS) version though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
lbpierce
Thank you for your useful information on Private Accommodation, it is however difficult to give a blanket excellent rating to all those you listed. My own experience in Santiago Hospederia San Martin is that whilst it faces the Cathedral it is expensive for what it provides for its *** rating. The two duty desk staff are friendly but overworked, one unusually did not understand English although a large majority using the hotel have English as the main language, the free wifi is weak and does not extend beyond the downstairs cafe, this could easily be remedied by installing a $100 router, it does not have a TV in the room for what one pays for the *** accommodation, the single chair has bare steel rods with no padding to support the back and can be ice-cold. The pricing is inflexible as one booking supplied a free buffet breakfast whilst the next booking I had to pay for the next day's breakfast.

Notwithstanding the above comments it is a good place to stay after the days spent in the communal living albergues to clean up and wind down, and you meet a lot of relaxed pilgrims in the common area, after the long walk. This is a personal observation which I feel need to be honestly aired and does not take away from the choices made by lbpierce, nor to discourage anyone contemplating using the Santiago Hospederia San Martin.

The Santiago Hospederia San Martin was used as a base for two bus loads of young Polish pilgrims who started from Poland, they were driven to Sarria after the first night spent in Santiago Hospederia San Martin, the next day after they arrived from Poland. The pilgrims were then collected by the bus to Santiago Hospederia San Martin after they did the first day's 20km walk with day packs from Sarria, they had their stamps from various establishments on the road. They were driven by the buses the next day to the place they walked previously (80km to go) then walked to the 60km stop where the bus was waiting to take then back to Santiago Hospederia San Martin. This was repeated at the 60km, 40km and finally the 20km marks over the next few days until they completed the 100km to fulfill the requirement to get the Compostela. They did not use any albergues between Sarria and Santiago. It was their Camino and to each their own.

Ibpierce is on the money with her selections however we we reach Santiago we disappear from the village.
We found it wonderful the first 2 camino's but now we find we discover the city by staying outside the ring road and staying for 4 nights at least.
Last year we stayed in
ARAGUANEY,
GRAN HOTEL
Its just off the main park [ Alameda] and very close to the bus stop for the airport.
We were charged 341E for 4 nights with breakfast.
Swimming pool, wonderful staff, and a VERY LARGE room , king size bed with writhing bureau.
There are great areas in this university away from the crowds.
However we always ended up in our favourite restaurant in Rua San Clemente , under the post office around 1pm.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back