• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

public transport on Camino Primitivo

Starcry

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15 days. So we were thinking of taking two weeks off work and just doing as much as we can, then catching a bus from wherever we are to Santiago de Compostela and catching a flight home.

Is this feasible, or do buses only stop at major towns?

Thanks, everyone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Quite feasible. Buses are principally from towns, but usually stop in each village twice a day, to pick up passengers going into town, or to deliver them in the later afternoon. Diligent use of rome2rio.com will usually inform you, but if you are on the ground, just check in at a central bar in the pueblo and ask. They often have schedules posted. As well, ayuntamiento staff are (every time I've tried) extremely happy to help pilgrims (and they'll give you a sello).

As an example, rome2rio will show you the four buses a day from Fonsagrada to Lugo, giving times and stops along the way. From Lugo to Santiago de Compostela, six buses or two trains.

You'll enjoy the Primitivo-- I've done it twice and had a great time on both Caminos.

@Starcry, welcome to the forum. @oursonpolaire has already answered your transportation query.

The Primitivo is easily doable in two weeks, the vast majority do it in 12 -14 days without pushing themselves.

It does of course depend on lot on health, experience and fitness, plus of course how far you are comfortable walking in a day.

You don’t mention any of the normal variables- age, fitness, experience, even whether or not you walk regularly.

Last year I met a fellow pilgrim at Austrias airport upon arrival, we figured out the bus together and met later for dinner, she was very nervous as she had decided on the spur of the moment (3 days earlier) to walk.

She asked me to accompany her the next day for the first few hours to at least get her started; in the end, I left her, tired but happy, at the excellent Paladin. (20km).

She had zero experience, was not particularly fit, wearing new or borrowed gear, and was extremely slow - but on day 14 she walked into Santiago.

If I may, I would suggest starting off slow for the first few days, consider booking your first two nights (Oviedo and perhaps Paladin?) and then figure it out from there. If you're not overly concerned about finishing, enjoy a day exploring Oviedo, and, at the very least, take a half day - even a full rest day - in Lugo. By which time you will have covered over 200 kilometres, you will have earned it!

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Quite feasible. Buses are principally from towns, but usually stop in each village twice a day, to pick up passengers going into town, or to deliver them in the later afternoon. Diligent use of rome2rio.com will usually inform you, but if you are on the ground, just check in at a central bar in the pueblo and ask. They often have schedules posted. As well, ayuntamiento staff are (every time I've tried) extremely happy to help pilgrims (and they'll give you a sello).

As an example, rome2rio will show you the four buses a day from Fonsagrada to Lugo, giving times and stops along the way. From Lugo to Santiago de Compostela, six buses or two trains.

You'll enjoy the Primitivo-- I've done it twice and had a great time on both Caminos.
Amazing, that's exactly what I wanted to know, we'll do that then :)

@Starcry, welcome to the forum. @oursonpolaire has already answered your transportation query.

The Primitivo is easily doable in two weeks, the vast majority do it in 12 -14 days without pushing themselves.

It does of course depend on lot on health, experience and fitness, plus of course how far you are comfortable walking in a day.

You don’t mention any of the normal variables- age, fitness, experience, even whether or not you walk regularly.

Last year I met a fellow pilgrim at Austrias airport upon arrival, we figured out the bus together and met later for dinner, she was very nervous as she had decided on the spur of the moment (3 days earlier) to walk.

She asked me to accompany her the next day for the first few hours to at least get her started; in the end, I left her, tired but happy, at the excellent Paladin. (20km).

She had zero experience, was not particularly fit, wearing new or borrowed gear, and was extremely slow - but on day 14 she walked into Santiago.

If I may, I would suggest starting off slow for the first few days, consider booking your first two nights (Oviedo and perhaps Paladin?) and then figure it out from there. If you're not overly concerned about finishing, enjoy a day exploring Oviedo, and, at the very least, take a half day - even a full rest day - in Lugo. By which time you will have covered over 200 kilometres, you will have earned it!

Buen Camino!
we're both reasonably fit, I grew up running up and down the mountains of South Africa and we're reasonably active. I was just concerned about getting stranded on the trail between towns or villages but I'm lead to believe that there are busses so I think we'll be fine. Thank you for your suggesting, it's not a bad idea to take a few days to see the town

When we walked we found that the buses do not run between Grandas de Salime (Asturias) and Fonsagrada (Galicia), although there are taxis at a price. It might be worth checking whether this is still how they work. Also the ALSA only ran once a day from Oviedo through to Grandas so checking times, and if it is still every day, is easy at the bus station in Oviedo - just down the road from the train station.
The Primitivo is lovely.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I downloaded a few bus schedules recently, just in case we need them 🤣.

But check the times on the day, as they may change 🙄.

Attachments

• BusFonsagradaToLugoSchedules.pdf
    103.7 KB · Views: 4
  • AlsaBusScheduleOviedoToTineo2.pdf
    62.4 KB · Views: 2
  • BusSchedulesLugoToSantiago.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 2
When we walked we found that the buses do not run between Grandas de Salime (Asturias) and Fonsagrada (Galicia), although there are taxis at a price. It might be worth checking whether this is still how they work. Also the ALSA only ran once a day from Oviedo through to Grandas so checking times, and if it is still every day, is easy at the bus station in Oviedo - just down the road from the train station.
The Primitivo is lovely.
Buen Camino
ah, that's good to know thank you, we should be able to make it that far though, so I'd say we'll be fine but thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back