• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question for Altus users

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
I'm keen on buying a hands-free umbrella for both sun and rain protection.
http://tinyurl.com/c5jte9m
I'd like to use it in conjunction with a yet to be purchased Altus Poncho.
The umbrella attaches to the hipbelt and shoulder harness and would have to protrude thru the neck opening.
Would this be practical combination?

TIA
Gerard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The front of the Altus zips from bottom to top, so it would be possible to have the umbrella shaft pass by your neck.

By the way, my brother took a very light weight collapsible umbrella and lashed it to his shoulder strap. It worked well, and was much more useful for sun than rain (think "light color"). It weighed under 8 oz. You might experiment with an umbrella that you already own, and save 60E! Trek and GoLite make some very small, light umbrellas.

http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Umbrellas-L ... m_sbs_sg_1

http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Trek-Umbrel ... B001OPKISE

http://www.amazon.com/GoLite-Collapsibl ... m_sbs_sg_2

http://www.golite.com/Chrome-Dome-Trekk ... -P928.aspx

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
gerardcarey said:
The umbrella attaches to the hipbelt and shoulder harness and would have to protrude thru the neck opening.
Would this be practical combination?

Whether you need anything as well as as the heavy duty Altus to keep the rain off is a moot point.
NB a lot of camino dogs get quite excited by the sight of pilgrims in ponchos. I imagine there'll be a bit of noise when they see you coming!

Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem!

The very best solution, one which I have used one three different Caminos and wholeheartedly endorse is...an Australian style "cowboy" hat. Sits firmly on my head no need for hands, no rain on my head, my glasses, no fog no steam, and the hat offers wonderful shade on the majority of the days when the sun is really beating down. It is also a good solution as a place to preserve souvenir pins, Immaculate Mary medallions, and to hang a shell.

PS even the best ponchos quickly become unbearably hot when worn in temperatures above say 18-20C.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
wow...i have seen pictures of this contraption...and the local rural spanish will really appreciate the joy you bring into thier lives.When are you planning your camino? If it is a summer camino...buy a staw cowboy hat in france /spain for 5 euros.If leaving after sept ivest in a 20 euro wide brimmed waterproof hat.Marks and spencer do them and they fold flat and last forever.I wore mine this weekend to the jubilee boat parade in london...kept me dry

falcon269 said:
By the way, my brother took a very light weight collapsible umbrella and lashed it to his shoulder strap. It worked well, and was much more useful for sun than rain (think "light color"). It weighed under 8 oz. You might experiment with an umbrella that you already own, and save 60E! Trek and GoLite make some very small, light umbrellas.

With all this info falcon, how come you've never had one!

I reckon, in the rain/sun with not much wind a brolle would be just great:
draft_lens14402831module126731171photo_1287264854umbrella_hat.jpg
5733979-a-chinese-fisherman-with-an-umbrella-hat-and-shorts-on-a-riverbank.jpg
UmbrellaNEWSTEAM_450x450.jpg

umbrella_hat_pixiq_0.jpg
1224701_450_450_0_0_fit_0_bd9d46496ec22b1caefb22da0793c6ec.jpg

Seem quite popular :lol:

I have taken an umbrella, David, but it does very little for keeping body, pack, and feet dry. It was a weighty way to keep rain off my face! It was quite handy in the hot evening when a poncho was uncomfortable, but spent most of its time adding to the weight of my pack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
in a bad snowstorm Altus is a lifesaver.

Much appreciate all the comments folks.
I'm doing 6 weeks from Sept 1st and I hate the sun, which is why the brolly appeals and the expense is bearable.
I thought to use it in the rain while wearing an Altus without the hood up. With the brolly up I figure I could open the top front of the Altus up somewhat also for some anti-humidification.
The weight 'quid pro quo' is that I won't need my rain jacket and maybe I'll leave a hat behind.
Don't like wearing hats either.

I got plenty to cogitate on now.
Thanks to everyone for their comments

Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.