• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Folding up an Altus?

Gringazolana

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés
Trying to do this on my phone, so apologies if it posts twice!

I can’t figure out how to fold up my Altus poncho. Is there a separate pouch that it stuffs into, or does it fold in on itself? (I have the Atmospheric H30.) When I whipped it out and put it on a couple days in a gale, I was concentrating on keeping my pack dry and not paying attention to details.

I am worried that I lost its little stuff sack in the wind!! I’ve looked all over and can’t find the answer, hoping someone here can help me out.

Thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Have you ever tried to put a tent back into the ludicrously small bag it came in? Your Altus stuff-sack has done you a favour. It assessed your stress levels and concluded they required no further enhancement.

Just roll the damned thing into some sort of containable shape and shove it where it will fit - in your backpack.

You will thank me for this unhelpful advice one day 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Gee, I never have problems, but then I'm an engineer.
1. Lay the beast out flat
2. Fold lengthwise as you like (Z-folds, W-folds, H-folds, it does not matter, as long as the outside is outside) until you have a long format of poncho about 6 inches (15cm) wide), or the depth of your (new) stuff sack, and fully long
3. Roll the beast up. Carefully. Tuck the errant bits back where they belong. Keep the tension as you roll, so it stays compact.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My friends bought Altuses last year in St Jean Pied de Port. They do come with stuff sacks, into which the Altus can be stuffed without folding or rolling. But since you no longer have your stuff sack, a zip lock bag or rubber band should suffice.

I do this with all jackets, hoodies, and ponchos, similar to @Kitsambler :

1. Hold the poncho in front of you by its hood, with the opening facing you.
2. With your free hand, grab the left and right sleeves and bring them to the center.
3. Drop the hood, and using your now free hand, grab the tail of the poncho.
4. Roll the poncho up towards the hood, starting from the tail end.
5. Tuck the roll into the hood
6. Voila, now you have a hood-sized package. Also makes a good seat cushion when dry.

Instead of trying to put it away this winter, I just tied the sleeves or tucked them under my pack straps in between the winter rain showers and stode along like supergirl with a big green cape. Silly, but who cares at age 61...(62 next month). It usually started raining again so I didnt need to dig it back out of a bag or backpack pocket. Silly cape barely visible here...

Attachments

• 20240102_085719.jpg
    20240102_085719.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 95
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Instead of trying to put it away this winter, I just tied the sleeves or tucked them under my pack straps in between the winter rain showers and stode along like supergirl with a big green cape. Silly, but who cares at age 61...(62 next month). It usually started raining again so I didnt need to dig it back out of a bag or backpack pocket. Silly cape barely visible here...
When I am walking, and as usual in Spain it is raining, stopping, raining, stopping, raining... I just leave it zipped a tiny bit at the bottom, take my arms out and let it hang on my pack. It's never blown off.

When I am walking, and as usual in Spain it is raining, stopping, raining, stopping, raining... I just leave it zipped a tiny bit at the bottom, take my arms out and let it hang on my pack. It's never blown off.
Very windy this winter so after one or two near poncho escapes, I adopted the tie the sleeves method...

Trying to do this on my phone, so apologies if it posts twice!

I can’t figure out how to fold up my Altus poncho. Is there a separate pouch that it stuffs into, or does it fold in on itself? (I have the Atmospheric H30.) When I whipped it out and put it on a couple days in a gale, I was concentrating on keeping my pack dry and not paying attention to details.

I am worried that I lost its little stuff sack in the wind!! I’ve looked all over and can’t find the answer, hoping someone here can help me out.

Thanks!
yes mine came with a bag and i'm able to stuff it back in. maybe while you're out and about you can get a little plastic bag and just shove it in there. anything will work. the bag it came with is tiny and handy but replaceable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Altus poncho is like the bottom fitted sheet on a bed…one can spend their entire life trying to figure out how to fold the d@#$ thing!

My Osprey pack has a built- in rain cover with its own pocket, soooo; since the Altus covers the pack as well, I don’t need both. The built-in cover is removed and the Altus is stuffed into the pocket in its place.

Alternatively, if you roll up the Altus as the engineer suggested, it fits well into a side pocket of a backpack (the pocket usually reserved for water bottles.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do this with all jackets, hoodies, and ponchos, similar to @Kitsambler :

1. Hold the poncho in front of you by its hood, with the opening facing you.
2. With your free hand, grab the left and right sleeves and bring them to the center.
3. Drop the hood, and using your now free hand, grab the tail of the poncho.
4. Roll the poncho up towards the hood, starting from the tail end.
5. Tuck the roll into the hood
6. Voila, now you have a hood-sized package. Also makes a good seat cushion when dry.
Yes the ideal way to carry all jackets. I was going to post this but you beat me to it 😀

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Indeed it does and the mesh bad also allows the garment to dry if wet.
I was very glad of mine a couple of weeks ago. I tried to stick some self adhesive reflective tape to it (in the shape of a scallop shell) for safety, but that did not survive being stuffed back in its pocket.
Does anyone know if there is a reflective fabric paint that will not affect the waterproofing?

I was very glad of mine a couple of weeks ago. I tried to stick some self adhesive reflective tape to it (in the shape of a scallop shell) for safety, but that did not survive being stuffed back in its pocket.
Does anyone know if there is a reflective fabric paint that will not affect the waterproofing?
If the hood has size altering loops on it consider slipping hi viz reflective tape through the loop and stick the tape to itself, not the jacket.
This tape catches headlights as it moves and changes angle. In addition it is in my case bright yellow and visible. If on the hood it should be high enough to be above your rucksack. I have it on poles and back of rucksack. The one on the rucksack is on a loose loop and swings as I walk.
My poncho as well as being bright orange has a large reflective strip to the rear as per the manufacturer.

Having scraped people off roads (literally with a shovel) I know what vehicles do to flesh and bone. Be careful out there

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gee, I never have problems, but then I'm an engineer.
1. Lay the beast out flat
2. Fold lengthwise as you like (Z-folds, W-folds, H-folds, it does not matter, as long as the outside is outside) until you have a long format of poncho about 6 inches (15cm) wide), or the depth of your (new) stuff sack, and fully long
3. Roll the beast up. Carefully. Tuck the errant bits back where they belong. Keep the tension as you roll, so it stays compact.
Agreed!!! I do this with most of my clothes. Use women’s hair ties to hold the roll. Also to hold collapsed Z poles

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.