• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quilts

Ralph Ayling

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Norte- Primitivo 2019
Frances 2022
I would like buy a quilt to use on Del Norte in May/ June sleeping in albergues. Any suggestions as to where I can buy one in Sydney would be appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Costco sell a quilt, the Black Diamond™ double packable down throw. I bought mine at the Marsden Park store last year some time. Trouble is they don't have them all of the time, just need to keep checking and ask. There weren't any at our closest store at Auburn, so asked in store and the fellow told me they had plenty at Marsden Park. $20 each? I think. You do see them online - Amazon I think, but postage was prohibitive.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@davebugg the ones that come up from Amazon seem very expensive (and we have to pay freight) - compared to the Costco number. I admit to buying several from Costco last year. I've mutilated one by sewing down one of the channels and cutting off the excess - to save weight. I used to attach it to the outside of my silk sleeping bag liner with studs (to stop it falling off - the material is very slippery) but now I follow advice from someone on this forum and stuff it inside my liner. Works a treat.

I admit to buying several from Costco last year. I've mutilated one by sewing down one of the channels and cutting off the excess - to save weight. I used to attach it to the outside of my silk sleeping bag liner with studs (to stop it falling off - the material is very slippery) but now I follow advice from someone on this forum and stuff it inside my liner. Works a treat.
I bought 2 and an extra 2 for my sister. I had planned to do the same as you have Kanga, to cut some off making it narrower and to use studs to attach it to the top of my liner; doesn't it work too well?

@davebugg the ones that come up from Amazon seem very expensive (and we have to pay freight) - compared to the Costco number. I admit to buying several from Costco last year. I've mutilated one by sewing down one of the channels and cutting off the excess - to save weight. I used to attach it to the outside of my silk sleeping bag liner with studs (to stop it falling off - the material is very slippery) but now I follow advice from someone on this forum and stuff it inside my liner. Works a treat.
I hadn't thought that an Amazon Australia order would have high shipping charges. I thought it might be similar to Amazon set up in the EU. Thanks for letting me know.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@KerrieG it works fine, but I found it unnecessary. Plus after the last bed-bug incident I've taken to using an extra long silk liner with hat elastic threaded in a hem around the top. It is long enough to bring the whole thing right up over my head and pull the elastic shut and fasten it with a toggle. So I am completely enclosed. Like a little tent. Putting the quilt inside means I don't have to keep getting out of my little tent.

Yes @davebugg it is a pain. I've tried to buy a few things on the Amazon Australia website, but so far everything I've wanted had to be shipped from the US, and the freight makes it not worthwhile. Unless it is something I absolutely have to have! I don't know if joining Prime makes it worthwhile.

Yes it is a pain. I've tried to buy a few things on the Amazon Australia website, but so far everything I've wanted had to be shipped from the US, and the freight makes it not worthwhile. Unless it is something I absolutely have to have! I don't know if joining Prime makes it worthwhile.

I would just figure how many shipments of purchases it would take to at least break even with the Prime fee, and then decide if it is worth it. It would all depend on how much purchasing one would want to do through Amazon. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hadn't thought that an Amazon Australia order would have high shipping charges. I thought it might be similar to Amazon set up in the EU. Thanks for letting me know.

If you mean the subscription service called Amazon Prime, it DOES exist in some countries other than the US. For example, it exists in Spain. However, I discovered last summer that my US Prime membership does not apply to items bought in Spain and shipped to a friend in Spain.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to everybody for your helpful replies. Much appreciated. It seems that Costco the best bet subject to availability.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.