• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Senda Litoral late April-May and what to pack

Sabre36

Time of past OR future Camino
April 27, 2024
For our first camino, my wife and I are starting from Porto April 26 zigzagging between the Senda Litoral & Coastal routes. We are experienced backpackers and I believe our gear is decent and lightweight. We have read as much as we can (maybe too much?) on online sites and the Brierley book and have put together a gear list suitable for late April/early May. While the weight is pretty good (~11 lbs), it feels like we might be packing too much.

There are so many conflicting opinions what to bring for coastal conditions in early Spring. Here's a sampler of conflicting opinions:
  • packing a sleeping bag vs. you don't need one in most albergues
  • packing a sleeping bag bug liner vs. spraying your pack with permethrin
  • packing a pillow vs. albergues have pillows
  • packing a fleece (plus a puffy) vs. it isn't usually that chilly in May
  • packing thin gloves vs. it isn't that chilly in May
  • packing mid weight bottoms/tops vs. it isn't usually that chilly in May
  • packing a good rain jacket/pants vs. just bringing a poncho
  • bringing a lock for the lockers vs. that's an unnecessary item
  • bringing some going-out-to-eat clothes vs. wearing what you hike in
So, we are very confused about what is a necessity versus being too prepared (aka "packing your fears").

If you have walked the coastal route in early May, especially the Senda Litoral, would you mind taking a look at this list, and weighing in with what should be cut ... or should be added.

Much appreciated. Thank you.

-RPR

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will comment on the bed bug thing. They are not easily killed or deterred and will likely bite you whether you have a treated bag, pack, or sheet. A liner does not protect you unless you are able to close the whole thing up with no way for them to get in. Treating your pack may mean any bugs are dead by the time you unpack at the next place, but if I get bit, I just find a place to put all my stuff in a hot dryer before unpacking at at the albergue that night. Here is a good podcast about the Camino (listen to the bedbug expert interview part)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/episode-24-round-trip-and-bed-bugs.43693/

Bom Caminho!

Since you two are experienced backpackers, then the answers to most of your questions are dependent upon your preferences. You can look up historical weather patterns, but as always, your mileage is likely to vary.

Do you sleep hot indoors, or cold? You may be within very chilly stone walls, but you *will* be indoors. That answes the sleeping bag vs liner question.

If albergues in Portugal are like ones in Spain, you may or may not have access to a pillow or to a blanket, and if there is heat, it may be on or off ( more likely off). I'm guessing that you probably don't normally carry pillows, or you sleep on your clothing. Prepare for the same, and be pleasantly surprised if they have either.

Oh, not every albergue in Spain has a locker, let alone a cabinet that *can* be locked. I slept with my valuables in a single pouch inside my liner, behind my knees (I'm a side sleeper). I'm again assuming that Portugal is the same.

Do you walk hot, or cold? Same observations for clothing.

The one thing I *didn't* need in Spain was nice clothing. I took a long patterned scarf to dress up my clothes and as a windbreaker. Again, I'm assuming that Portugal is similar.

Same for preferred rain gear. You're not talking tropical monsoons, but there is likely to be one or more days of more or less steady rain. If you're lucky, no wind.

You'll get people who've walked the route soon, but only the two of you know what your comfort levels are.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will comment on the bed bug thing. They are not easily killed or deterred and will likely bite you whether you have a treated bag, pack, or sheet. A liner does not protect you unless you are able to close the whole thing up with no way for them to get in. Treating your pack may mean any bugs are dead by the time you unpack at the next place, but if I get bit, I just find a place to put all my stuff in a hot dryer before unpacking at at the albergue that night. Here is a good podcast about the Camino (listen to the bedbug expert interview part)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/episode-24-round-trip-and-bed-bugs.43693/
Thank you for your insights and the link. Do you know if hiking earlier in the season (May) is better (i.e. fewer pilgrims) than in the summer?

Bom Caminho!

Since you two are experienced backpackers, then the answers to most of your questions are dependent upon your preferences. You can look up historical weather patterns, but as always, your mileage is likely to vary.

Do you sleep hot indoors, or cold? You may be within very chilly stone walls, but you *will* be indoors. That answes the sleeping bag vs liner question.

If albergues in Portugal are like ones in Spain, you may or may not have access to a pillow or to a blanket, and if there is heat, it may be on or off ( more likely off). I'm guessing that you probably don't normally carry pillows, or you sleep on your clothing. Prepare for the same, and be pleasantly surprised if they have either.

Oh, not every albergue in Spain has a locker, let alone a cabinet that *can* be locked. I slept with my valuables in a single pouch inside my liner, behind my knees (I'm a side sleeper). I'm again assuming that Portugal is the same.

Do you walk hot, or cold? Same observations for clothing.

The one thing I *didn't* need in Spain was nice clothing. I took a long patterned scarf to dress up my clothes and as a windbreaker. Again, I'm assuming that Portugal is similar.

Same for preferred rain gear. You're not talking tropical monsoons, but there is likely to be one or more days of more or less steady rain. If you're lucky, no wind.

You'll get people who've walked the route soon, but only the two of you know what your comfort levels are.
Excellent reply; thank you! Sounds like I need to bring a little more than too little.

Thank you for your insights and the link. Do you know if hiking earlier in the season (May) is better (i.e. fewer pilgrims) than in the summer?
Possibly, but bedbugs can live without feeding for a long time. I had students bit in January when there are very few pilgrims and it was cold. They are a possibility on a Camino. There are several threads here to get more info. I like places that use a plastic mattress cover where I can inspect before putting down my bedding. I don't use albergue blankets. I try for a bed that isn't touching a wall and try to keep my bedding away from the wall. If you get an infestation, heat treat your things before unpacking the next day. Hotels can have them as well as albergues.

They don't spread disease, but they are annoying and can cause itchy bites. Very hard to control or get rid of once they are introduced to an environment.

I've only encountered them personally on one Camino, but as a hospitalera volunteer, we do surveillance for them every day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wife and I did the Senda Litoral from Porto last April/May and had a fantastic time. The weather was near perfect for walking and I never had to use my poncho. Always wore shorts and t-shirts. Mornings can be cool but quickly warm up as sun rises. Never got above mid to upper 70’s but sun is intense and I would strongly advise sun screen, hat and neck protection. Occasionally there was some morning wind with some ocean spray but nothing uncomfortable. For the most part we stayed in small inns or rooms over bars and restaurants and avoided crowded alburques. Didn’t see many pilgrims along the way until we got to Vigo and Redondela but even then it never seemed crowded. Best advice is NOT to overpack to try and cover all contingencies. Go light, enjoy, keep a journal and take lots of pictures. Buen Camino!

Possibly, but bedbugs can live without feeding for a long time. I had students bit in January when there are very few pilgrims and it was cold. They are a possibility on a Camino. There are several threads here to get more info. I like places that use a plastic mattress cover where I can inspect before putting down my bedding. I don't use albergue blankets. I try for a bed that isn't touching a wall and try to keep my bedding away from the wall. If you get an infestation, heat treat your things before unpacking the next day. Hotels can have them as well as albergues.

They don't spread disease, but they are annoying and can cause itchy bites. Very hard to control or get rid of once they are introduced to an environment.

I've only encountered them personally on one Camino, but as a hospitalera volunteer, we do surveillance for them every day.
I’m planning to mostly wear merino wool clothing, they will shink to unwearablw sizes if I put them in a hot dryer. What will I do if I get bed bugs in my stuff? I’m not afraid of being bitten.

Do not wet your clothes before putting into the dryer. Merino will tolerate a dryer cycle if it isn't wet first. An alternate plan is to put everything (backpack and all into a black trash bag and let it bake in the sun for a few hours. Less temp control, but usually effective.

Mainly the goal is not to transport them to a new home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do not wet your clothes before putting into the dryer. Merino will tolerate a dryer cycle if it isn't wet first. An alternate plan is to put everything (backpack and all into a black trash bag and let it bake in the sun for a few hours. Less temp control, but usually effective.

Mainly the goal is not to transport them to a new home.
Thank you.

packing a sleeping bag bug liner vs. spraying your pack with permethrin
@J Willhaus has covered this well. I always spray my backpack, my sleeping gear, and all of my cloth stuff sacks with permethrin. It doesn't kill on contact or deter bedbugs, but it should kill them over a few hours. If those buggers get in I don't want them coming out alive!
packing a pillow vs. albergues have pillows
I only stayed in one albergue that didn't have pillows, and it was in 2022 as an anti Covid measure.
In my experience that has been true, but if someone passed through the day before carrying bedbugs, then all bets are off.

An addition to my original question: because much of the Senda Littoral/Coastal Route is on roads & boardwalks, do you think that trail runners would be overkill (e.g. La Sportiva Jackals, Hoka Speedgoats) and therefore, might a trainer/running shoe be superior? I'm thinking that something with moderate-to-high cushion (e.g New Balance x880 or On Cloudgo) might be preferable? Thanks in advance --

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have done both routes and was there last week. My advice is to pack light you can always buy along the way. All the albergues I stayed offered pillow. I never got bed bugs and didn’t always use my silk liner. Bring a towel bc that was not offered often. I didn’t need gloves last week. I usually travel with two- three outfits and a hat. When I arrive I shower and put on the clean outfit of the next day and wash the one I wore that day. A small pouch to carry valuables. I have always worn high hiking boots even in summer which I find better so your feet don’t get hot from the hot pavement. I like it that they are water proof also. To shower and let my feet rest at night I change to my water proof sandals. Travel light and enjoy buen camino.

Excellent reply; thank you! Sounds like I need to bring a little more than too little.

I've not walked the Senda Litoral yet - but I will be this May, around the same time as you, and based on my experience walking the CF all the way to Fisterra around the same time two years ago I'd strongly recommend reversing this and consider bringing "too little" as opposed to "a little more". You will be very, very grateful for the lighter pack, and as many others here have mentioned you can always pick up anything you might need along the way if you didn't bring it with you.

Looking at your LighterPack list, it seems to me that a 20 degree quilt and puffer jacket (especially if you're already bringing a dedicated rain jacket) might fall into the "too much" category. Maybe consider swapping them out for lighter items — say, a light windbreaker + thinner blanket — or omitting them altogether?

An addition to my original question: because much of the Senda Littoral/Coastal Route is on roads & boardwalks, do you think that trail runners would be overkill (e.g. La Sportiva Jackals, Hoka Speedgoats) and therefore, might a trainer/running shoe be superior? I'm thinking that something with moderate-to-high cushion (e.g New Balance x880 or On Cloudgo) might be preferable? Thanks in advance --
I wore Brook Ghosts which are road runners as opposed to trail runners. Maximum cushioning. Not very durable but they easily lasted my SL/Coastal Camino. I’m still wearing them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore Brook Ghosts which are road runners as opposed to trail runners. Maximum cushioning. Not very durable but they easily lasted my SL/Coastal Camino. I’m still wearing them.
Great to hear your feedback. I'm leaning on wearing Hoka Cliftons (or whatever running shoes I end up with). If it was a more technical trail, I would probably go with my La Sportiva Jackals -- a great shoe IMO.

BTW, I was shown a pair of Ghost Max (wrong size) but the foam seemed over-the-top. I didn't consider the Ghosts.

I've not walked the Senda Litoral yet - but I will be this May, around the same time as you, and based on my experience walking the CF all the way to Fisterra around the same time two years ago I'd strongly recommend reversing this and consider bringing "too little" as opposed to "a little more". You will be very, very grateful for the lighter pack, and as many others here have mentioned you can always pick up anything you might need along the way if you didn't bring it with you.

Looking at your LighterPack list, it seems to me that a 20 degree quilt and puffer jacket (especially if you're already bringing a dedicated rain jacket) might fall into the "too much" category. Maybe consider swapping them out for lighter items — say, a light windbreaker + thinner blanket — or omitting them altogether?
Appreciate your feedback and in looking at my lighterpack contents. Your point is well taken to not over-think and therefore, not to over-pack for the just-in-case stuff. I'm afraid I read too many must-have gear lists and many of the items were from those lists.

My base weight is currently ~10 lbs (4.56 kg) which was my target. I've since updated it here. I may drop the puffy. I left my much-to-warm 20 degree quilt in ... mostly because I own it already and don't want to replace it with a lighter, 40 degree quilt. Any further suggestions are very welcome.

I have done both routes and was there last week. My advice is to pack light you can always buy along the way. All the albergues I stayed offered pillow. I never got bed bugs and didn’t always use my silk liner. Bring a towel bc that was not offered often. I didn’t need gloves last week. I usually travel with two- three outfits and a hat. When I arrive I shower and put on the clean outfit of the next day and wash the one I wore that day. A small pouch to carry valuables. I have always worn high hiking boots even in summer which I find better so your feet don’t get hot from the hot pavement. I like it that they are water proof also. To shower and let my feet rest at night I change to my water proof sandals. Travel light and enjoy buen camino.
Thanks for responding - especially since you were just there a week ago. In early May, would you think I would need to bring a beanie, puffy, or a fleece for the early mornings or evenings - or is this over doing it?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for responding - especially since you were just there a week ago. In early May, would you think I would need to bring a beanie, puffy, or a fleece for the early mornings or evenings - or is this over doing it?
Depends on where you currently live. I live in Amaterdam so the weather is warmer for me. I didn’t need beans hat or gloves again depends on how cold sensitive you are.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back