reservations

junebug

Feb 22, 2012
Hello,

My name is Julie, I'm 19 years old and live in Belgium.
I will be walking part of the camino, starting from Porto, in July this year.
Since I have never done a similar thing and will probably be alone, my parents are pretty worried.
I was considering making reservations at hostels, though I do not like how this will diminish my liberty. But I might not be going at all if I can't reassure my parents.
Now my question was: is it possible to make reservations?
If so, how much time beforehand should I do this?
I also read a lot about "refugio's" but I don't quite grasp what those are exactly.
Thanks in advance,

Julie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Feb 1, 2012
New Hampshire, United States of America
LiveinHisWord.blogspot.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPDP--->SDC (Dates TBD)
From my limited understanding, pilgrim operate on a "first come, first served" basis. There is one refugio in France just outside St Jean Pied de Port where pre-booking is a necessity as they fill up quickly and apparently have an awesome panoramic view to boot.

" Whatever your journey; rough or smooth, long or short, know that you are loved and your journey is assured. Ultreya!" -John Brierly

¡Buen Camino:arrow:!
WanderingChristian

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
M

mikevasey

Hi Julie

Welcome to the forum, you will get some good advice over the next few days from various sources on here. A refugio in relation to a camino can also mean albergue or hostal as well, most people use the term albergue. They are owned or run by various people or organisations, some by the local municipality or regional authorities, some by local or international pilgrim associations or they are privately run. It is usually only the private ones that you are able to book ahead, the others are on a first come first served basis with a pilgrim credencial, a pamphlet style item with spaces for sellos(spain) or carimbos(portugual)to be stamped in and allows you to stay in pilgrim specific accommodation.

Have a look at this linkhttp://www.csj.org.uk/faqs.htm, it is the UK based pilgrim association site, it will be able to help you and your parents with several questions. There may well be one or several in Belgium who can also give you advice before you go.

You may need a written guide, try these links http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm or http://www.caminoguides.com/index.html. Conrad Stein Verlag a german language travel guide publishers have a guide from Porto to Santiago, their books are very high quality source of information.

The one piece of information I would give you is to start at a point outside of central Porto, the two English language guides will be able to give you suggestions on this.

Good Luck

Mike

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Jul 26, 2011
Suffolk, U.K.
snicholl5.wix.com
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
junebug said:
Hello,

Since I have never done a similar thing and will probably be alone, my parents are pretty worried.
Now my question was: is it possible to make reservations?
Julie

Hi Julie! I think Mike's given you some excellent information. If my 19 year old daughter were taking that Camino, I'd suggest she found a few walking companions when going through wilder countryside, but it's not totally essential! You should be completely safe and have a great experience.
I took that trip last year in April. No albergues were full until I was within 150 kms of Santiago. In some places there's more than one albergue anyway. In many there are also cheap hotels [25 Euro +/-]. So it shouldn't be a major worry. To check out photograph links to the entire camino Porto to Santiago, have a look at http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm where there are even photo's taken inside a few albergues, to give you some idea.
Bueno camino! [Or, in Portugal, I think Bom Camino!"
Stephen

cecelia

Wandering for the love and growth of it
Dec 4, 2007
BC, Canada
hello Julie,
I am a woman who first walked the camino at 59 and I feel that albergues(also called refugios) are among the safest places you could stay. After all, everyone has to be in and in bed by around 10 o'clock. You are sleeping in a room with 6,8, 24 or more other people which has to be a lot safer than sleeping alone. Your parents can feel reassured that you will be surrounded by people who are willing to help you.

I've never walked the Portugues Route, which I guess is what you're planning to do since you say you're walking from Porto. In July of 2011 over 3000 people walked the Portugues Route so you can see you will have lots of company if you wish. Of course you will have to take the usual precautions that women everywhere have to take any time but the camino feels safer to me than some places in my home country (Canada). You won't ever have to walk alone if you don't want to. There is some discussion about safety for females on this forum under the Camino Portugues.
I don't know how it is in Portugal but in Spain there are a variety of places you can stay apart from albergues. They are: pension(usually a shared bathroom down the hall), casa rural(like a B&B- private room and bathroom), hostal( about like a 2 star hotel - simple, usually clean, private bath but no frills), hotels
Good luck with your planning and buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides