• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Return to finish Camino Frances

Ted H

Time of past OR future Camino
I walked from St. Jean to Villafranca in (June 2017.)
Greetings! I had a great experience walking the Camino Frances in June 2017. I got to Villafranca where I slipped in the shower and broke my wrist. I was advised to leave the Camino and go home by doctors. I am planning to return in June 2018 to finish. Can I pick up where I left off and continue on to Santiago? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Ted,
Sorry to hear about your wrist, I hope that it has healed well. No problem with starting where you left off. It is not unusual for people to take several years to finish. What you do need is a stamp to start, from where you finished. In my case, last June 2016, I walked from SJPP to Salceda and tore an adductor muscle, so no walking was possible. It was disappointing to get within only about 18 miles to Santiago and have to stop. It was a good excuse to go back to Santiago this year on the Camino and have a very lazy 2 day Camino. I did feel a bit odd arriving in Salceda by taxi, with a tiny 2 day rucsack, (obviously a Tourigrino!). Have a great Camino when you return next year.

Buen Camino,

John.

Greetings! I had a great experience walking the Camino Frances in June 2017. I got to Villafranca where I slipped in the shower and broke my wrist. I was advised to leave the Camino and go home by doctors. I am planning to return in June 2018 to finish. Can I pick up where I left off and continue on to Santiago? Thanks!

Of course you can. Wishing you a good recovery. :)

I stopped in Villafranca in September 2016 and returned this past May to finish my Camino. I took a train from Santiago to Ponferrada and rather than taxi to Villafranca, I began walking from Ponferrada the next morning. It's a beautiful walk to Villafranca as you well know. Buen camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Ted , sorry to hear about your broken wrist.
As already stated you can begin where you left off and you can use your Credencial aswell.
For next year I wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

ps , watch the shower. ;)

Last edited:
When you start your walk at Villafranca I recommend staying at the Albergue Leo. It's a beautiful old Spanish house run by members of a family who've lived there for years.

As others have said, you can use the same credential.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the showers were really slippery all along the CF. Sorry you broke your wrist!

Yes indeed you can pick up where you left off! Your original credential/pilgrim passport is valid until it is stamped when at last you do arrive in Santiago.

Enjoy planning your continuation and Buen camino anew!
Thank you for the encouraging words! I'm looking forward to completing my Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Ted,
Sorry to hear about your wrist, I hope that it has healed well. No problem with starting where you left off. It is not unusual for people to take several years to finish. What you do need is a stamp to start, from where you finished. In my case, last June 2016, I walked from SJPP to Salceda and tore an adductor muscle, so no walking was possible. It was disappointing to get within only about 18 miles to Santiago and have to stop. It was a good excuse to go back to Santiago this year on the Camino and have a very lazy 2 day Camino. I did feel a bit odd arriving in Salceda by taxi, with a tiny 2 day rucsack, (obviously a Tourigrino!). Have a great Camino when you return next year.

Buen Camino,

John.
Thank you your reply! I have to say I was disappointed, but only 18 miles left would have been difficult to deal with. I'm looking forward to getting back. I don't regret a minute of my journey thus far. Thanks for your encouragement!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Ted , sorry to hear about your broken twist.
As already stated you can begin where you left off and you can use your Credencial aswell.
For next year I wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

ps , watch the shower. ;)
Thanks for you response! I will be extremely cautious in the showers

When you start your walk at Villafranca I recommend staying at the Albergue Leo. It's a beautiful old Spanish house run by members of a family who've lived there for years.

As others have said, you can use the same credential.
Thank you for taking time to respond. I'll make a note about Albergue Leo!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
RESPECT

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back