• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Ourense travel

AML

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept 2013
Norte/Primitivo May/June 2014
Vasco del Interior/ Burgos - Leon/Del Salvador/Primitivo May/June 2015
Ourense - Santiago Sept 2015
Camino Ingles Sept 2015
Porto-SDC Sept/Oct 2016
I intend to travel to Ourense from Santiago de Compostela on 15 Sept. I think train is the best option. Is it necessary to book train tickets in advance or can I just get them at the train station in Santiago?
Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can get tickets at the station. Just make sure you leave enough time as the line sometimes moves a bit slowly.

Well, I think that buying them ahead of time may be a safer way to go, at least if you are going on the Alvia or AVE (high speed). I learned this the hard way in July when I wanted to get from Pamplona to Ponferrada. Since it was a week day, not a holiday, I planned to get them at the train station. I arrived in Pampona on Tuesday afternoon, traveling WEd. Luckily, I checked online to see about tickets and was surprised to see the fast train was all sold out, for the next day and several after that. I was able to get to Ponferrada but it was an 8 1/2 hour trip involving a transfer and a million stops, rather than a fast Alvia ride.

I asked some Spanish friends about it and they told me that RENFE is cutting back on seats/cars on these trains, so they are more frequently full.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, I think that buying them ahead of time may be a safer way to go, at least if you are going on the Alvia or AVE (high speed). I learned this the hard way in July when I wanted to get from Pamplona to Ponferrada. Since it was a week day, not a holiday, I planned to get them at the train station. I arrived in Pampona on Tuesday afternoon, traveling WEd. Luckily, I checked online to see about tickets and was surprised to see the fast train was all sold out, for the next day and several after that. I was able to get to Ponferrada but it was an 8 1/2 hour trip involving a transfer and a million stops, rather than a fast Alvia ride.

I asked some Spanish friends about it and they told me that RENFE is cutting back on seats/cars on these trains, so they are more frequently full.

Thanks, yeah i would like to take the high speed train to Ourense. I was intending to go directly to train station from airport when i arrive in Santiago and on to Ourense, so maybe it is better to buy tickets in advance.

You can get tickets at the station. Just make sure you leave enough time as the line sometimes moves a bit wayslowly.
Yes and yes But the train might be booked out. It is probably more important to have reservations from the other way to Ourense. The day I traveled I called to ask the same question and was told I better buy now..there were only 8 tickets left. Guess I bought my ticket right away.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes and yes But the train might be booked out. It is probably more important to have reservations from the other way to Ourense. The day I traveled I called to ask the same question and was told I better buy now..there were only 8 tickets left. Guess I bought my ticket right away.

There are currently 12 trains on that route ... the odds are if you miss one you will get the next.

No trains listed for September 15th yet. Basic fare is €16.60 for a 44 minute trip or you could splash out €26.40 and save 6 minutes. There may be some advance booking discounts once train times are actually posted but I have never managed to buy via the RENFE website. Unless you are travelling on a holiday peak walk-up is fine. (IMO)

As there is chance of a Renfe strike on 15 Sept, I wont buy ticket in advance just yet! Im sure there is possibility it will be called off!!
What are bus options from Santiago to Ourense?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Just a question. If you are walking the same or part of a Camino you have walked before, do you stay at the same alburgues as you did or try somewhere new?
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back