• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Sarria on a Saturday

Gillers

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk part of the Camino in 2016
Hey, looking at possible routes and it seems the Monbus does not go on Saturdays/Sundays from Santiago to Sarria directly.

If I arrive into Santiago airport at 4.20pm, I can get the Empresa Freire S.L bus at either 5.00pm or 6.30pm from Sanitago Bus Station to Lugo.
Am I likely to make a 5.00pm bus if only arriving in Santiago airport @ 4.20pm?

Then using Mombus I can get the 6.35pm or 8.45pm from Lugo (depending on bus from Santiago to Lugo) to Sarria.

How much is it in a taxi from Lugo to Sarria in case I miss the bus?

Apart from the taxi, is there any other routes to get to Sarria from Santiago on a Saturday.

Seems like a lot of waiting around and hoping a bus arrives on time.

I might be as well flying to Madrid and getting train directly to Sarria the more I look at it.

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Seems like a lot of waiting around and hoping
An apt description of the Camino in general!!

The bus is the least expensive way to get to Sarria. A taxi is about 1E per kilometer, so from Lugo it will be about 32E. There is not much in Sarria that you should be in a hurry to reach. Restaurants will just be opening when you get there, and the riverfront walk is always open.

You are not in a hurry, are you? If you aren't in a hurry, take it easy!

If I arrive into Santiago airport at 4.20pm, I can get the Empresa Freire S.L bus at either 5.00pm or 6.30pm from Sanitago Bus Station to Lugo.
Am I likely to make a 5.00pm bus if only arriving in Santiago airport @ 4.20pm?

Then using Mombus I can get the 6.35pm or 8.45pm from Lugo (depending on bus from Santiago to Lugo) to Sarria.

The 17:00 bus from downtown Santiago de Compostela to Lugo is scheduled to arrive to Lugo at 18:35. To plan to take the 18:35 bus from Lugo to Sarria means you hope either the bus from Santiago de Compostela arrives ahead of time or the one from Lugo to Sarria departs later...

As I see it, even if you took the 17:00 bus from downtown Santiago de Compostela, you would likely end having to take the 20:45 bus from Lugo to Sarria so there's no need to stress yourself trying to take the 17:00 bus (what would mean taking the 16:30 bus from the airport to the bus station on the downtown -scheduled travel time 20 minutes- or a taxi a few minutes later... decide yourself if that would be feasible...). Take it easy and go for the 18:30 bus to Lugo that, in fact, you could take at 18:40 at the airport itself (unless it got full at the downtown, i.e.) avoiding having to go to the downtown. It all goes as scheduled you would have 15 minutes to change buses in Lugo what should be enough time (see below for alternatives in case it wasn't enough time).

The 17:00 bus from downtown Santiago de Compostela to Lugo doesn't stop at the airport of Santiago de Compostela, just in case you were wondering.

How much is it in a taxi from Lugo to Sarria in case I miss the bus?

If you miss the 20:45 bus, you could take the 21:35 train.

Apart from the taxi, is there any other routes to get to Sarria from Santiago on a Saturday

There's a Regional train from Santiago de Compostela to Ourense departing at 17:25 that would allow you to connect with a later MD train from Ourense to Monforte de Lemos (take a look at the web of RENFE making a separate search for each leg). Once in Monforte de Lemos, you could take the last bus to Sarria. Take a look at the web of Monbus for info about schedules. But this way you won't arrive earlier than going changing buses in Lugo...

If you are a group or if you can make a small with other people, you might ask at www.busperegrino.com what they can offer you (fares and schedules).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are not in a hurry, are you? If you aren't in a hurry, take it easy!

The 17:00 bus from downtown Santiago de Compostela to Lugo is scheduled to arrive to Lugo at 18:35. To plan to take the 18:35 bus from Lugo to Sarria means you hope either the bus from Santiago de Compostela arrives ahead of time or the one from Lugo to Sarria departs later...

As I see it, even if you took the 17:00 bus from downtown Santiago de Compostela, you would likely end having to take the 20:45 bus from Lugo to Sarria so there's no need to stress yourself trying to take the 17:00 bus (what would mean taking the 16:30 bus from the airport to the bus station on the downtown -scheduled travel time 20 minutes- or a taxi a few minutes later... decide yourself if that would be feasible...). Take it easy and go for the 18:30 bus to Lugo that, in fact, you could take at 18:40 at the airport itself (unless it got full at the downtown, i.e.) avoiding having to go to the downtown. It all goes as scheduled you would have 15 minutes to change buses in Lugo what should be enough time (see below for alternatives in case it wasn't enough time).

The 17:00 bus from downtown Santiago de Compostela to Lugo doesn't stop at the airport of Santiago de Compostela, just in case you were wondering.

If you miss the 20:45 bus, you could take the 21:35 train.

There's a Regional train from Santiago de Compostela to Ourense departing at 17:25 that would allow you to connect with a later MD train from Ourense to Monforte de Lemos (take a look at the web of RENFE making a separate search for each leg). Once in Monforte de Lemos, you could take the last bus to Sarria. Take a look at the web of Monbus for info about schedules. But this way you won't arrive earlier than going changing buses in Lugo...

If you are a group or if you can make a small with other people, you might ask at www.busperegrino.com what they can offer you (fares and schedules).

Hey thanks for your detailed reply.

I am not in a rush in that once I get there on Saturday evening its fine, as I plan to start the Camino on Sunday morning.

So the earlier I can get there on the Saturday to settle and get something to eat and a good nights sleep the better I guess.

I can fly into Madrid and get a 5/6 hour train from there to Sarria and be there by 7pm or go with the two bus option from Santiago to Sarria and be there some time after 9pm.

Ideally I would meet people on the flight to Santiago or in the airport who are willing to share a taxi and we go straight to Sarria.

I will need to make a decision shortly as to whether to fly to Santiago or Madrid as I plan on going in 15 days and only decided this a couple of days ago :) :)

Im guessing it would be a good idea to book some accomodation in Sarria before arriving to ensure a good nights sleep?

Some geography might be helpful.

There is a road from Santiago to Lugo.

There is a road from Santiago to Monforte de Lemos.

There is no direct road from Santiago to Sarria.

Sarria is located midway on the road from Lugo to Monforte de Lemos.

So taking a taxi isn't going to get you much advantage through faster travel. The only advantage of a taxi is if the bus or train schedule REALLY doesn't work.

Here is Sarria Transportation page.
http://www.sarria.es/index.php?opti...rios&catid=60:localizacion&Itemid=132&lang=gl

Most read last week in this forum

For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
Hi! I plan to go on El Camino Portugues starting in Vigo this summer, and after, I am going to explore Europe. I need a suitcase for my trip after El Camino, and I have been struggling to...
Looking to book a train from Santiago to Madrid in late June and there are no trains on any day even today on the Renfe site? Queries to Renfe generate an error. Does anyone know what is happening?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back