• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago train station

ambers

Hi there,
Myself and my friend are planning on participating on the Leon to Santiago part of the camino. We are flying into Santiago arriving at 14.50 and plan on getting the train to Leon and walking back to Santiago. My question is how to get from airport to the train station in Santiago and how long does it take please?? We'd like to get our train tickets organised before we go and our first night's accommodation.
Much appreciated,
Ambers ☺️

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there,
Myself and my friend are planning on participating on the Leon to Santiago part of the camino. We are flying into Santiago arriving at 14.50 and plan on getting the train to Leon and walking back to Santiago. My question is how to get from airport to the train station in Santiago and how long does it take please?? We'd like to get our train tickets organised before we go and our first night's accommodation.
Much appreciated,
Ambers ☺️
Hi Ambers, welcome to the forum.

There is a bus from the airport to the train station which takes approximately 40 mins and runs on the hour and 1/2 hour. Route and schedule can be found at this website.

Alternatively, a taxi into the city cost approximately 2o Euros from the airport and I would estimate about 15-20 mins depending on traffic.

Not clear if you intend on staying in Santiago the first night and travelling to Leon the next day or travelling on arrival day. Post back if you need more info. The Santiago airport website has information on transport to and from.

Buen Camino
Mig

Thanks so much!! We were going to stay the 1st night in Santiago but that would delay us starting by a day so we're hoping to get to Leon and stay there the 1st night and start. We are really looking forward to it and all we have booked is our flight from Dublin so we have 3 weeks minimum to get from Leon to Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ambers , Sometimes there are direct trains there. It depends on schedule. There is a train from Santiago to Barcelona which I have used and as an aside I see flecha amarillo outside the station at 2 places on route while travelling to Ponferrada. Those stops are directly on Camino de Invierno in case any other walkers want a quiet starting point . http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html might help. Don't forget buses..

The bus is cheap and regular. Even if you stay on all the way to the end at Praza Galicia the station is only a short walk, 10 min or so.

When you get off the bus dont be tempted to do what I did and sneak a look at the cathedral. As someone said to me en route, I'd read the last page of the mystery before starting.

Personally, I prefer Spanish buses to the train but that's just my preference.

3 weeks are plenty to get from Leon. I did Astorga to sdc in 10 days. Leon is only a couple of days further.

Hi there,
Much appreciated,
Ambers ☺️
I did exactly what you plan to do starting this past April 30 and arriving in Santiago on May 17. I would take a cab, especially since you would be splitting the cost. Should not be more than 7 or 8 euros each and will take about 15-20 minutes. Trains leave frequently for Leon and if you catch one that does not stop at every village should only take about 4 1/2 hours. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh guys, thank you all so much. We are looking forward to our camino and all your information helps a lot. We really appreciate it. :)

Sorry to bother again, we were also wondering if there are lockers/left luggage at the train station or airport even. We are thinking about bringing non-camino clothes/items for when we are finished in Santiago and we don't want to carry anything extra. Do people do this? Thanks in advance

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Buen Camino everyone. What is usually the plan once you reach Santiago. Can people walk back and stay at alberges on the return leg of the trip? Or do people just bus or train back to the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back