• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sauntering, not hiking

Juspassinthru

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2017, Inglés 2019, Aragónes 2024
Reflecting on my Camino, I started reading John Muir. Many Americans know who Muir was, for those who may not, he was an American Naturalist who founded the Sierra Club. He walked the mountains of the American West, especially around Yosemite in the late 1800's.

I have on many occasions said that I hiked the Camino, I like his view on the word "hiking" much better:

“I don’t like either the word or the thing. People ought to saunter in the mountains – not hike! Do you know the origin of that word ‘saunter?’ It’s a beautiful word. Away back in the Middle Ages people used to go on pilgrimages to the Holy Land, and when people in the villages through which they passed asked where they were going, they would reply, ‘A la sainte terre,’ ‘To the Holy Land.’ And so they became known as sainte-terre-ers or saunterers. Now these mountains are our Holy Land, and we ought to saunter through them reverently, not ‘hike’ through them.”

I'm privileged to have sauntered the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Reflecting on my Camino, I started reading John Muir. Many Americans know who Muir was, for those who may not, he was an American Naturalist who founded the Sierra Club. He walked the mountains of the American West, especially around Yosemite in the late 1800's.

I have on many occasions said that I hiked the Camino, I like his view on the word "hiking" much better:

“I don’t like either the word or the thing. People ought to saunter in the mountains – not hike! Do you know the origin of that word ‘saunter?’ It’s a beautiful word. Away back in the Middle Ages people used to go on pilgrimages to the Holy Land, and when people in the villages through which they passed asked where they were going, they would reply, ‘A la sainte terre,’ ‘To the Holy Land.’ And so they became known as sainte-terre-ers or saunterers. Now these mountains are our Holy Land, and we ought to saunter through them reverently, not ‘hike’ through them.”

I love this quote! It sums up exactly what we (my almost 82 year-old Dad, my daughter and I) are doing on our very slow way to Santiago!

Attachments

• A43CE321-6C7D-4911-B33C-522A973B5924.jpeg
    A43CE321-6C7D-4911-B33C-522A973B5924.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 154
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Wonderful!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

thank you for the reminder and the 'a la sainte terre' - did not know that one. very well described/expressed.
now if we'd only realise that wherever we set foot on is holy land.
(and treat the land accordingly....)
last year in the fall, i had the pleasure to be saundering on the John Muir trail, west of Glasgow (the trail starts on the eastern coast of scotland, in dunbar, JM's birthplace)

view of loch lomond
image7.JPG

saundering along lovely beeches ... onwards to loch lomand
IMG_0235.jpg
and down again ... through a forest that reminded me of Fangorn (LOTR)
IMG_0229.jpg

after the climb up from Craigendoran ... huff and puff... but I made it
IMG_0223.jpg

What a lovely thought - such a shame that it is unlikely to be true! - French doesn't have the same format as English so it would have been "à la terre sainte" - but I do agree - to saunter is the way!!

hhmm .. unless medieval French was spoken a different way ... oh dear, I am most likely completely wrong - I so often am!!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Published etymologies of saunter seem to either ignore a la sainte terre as the source of saunter or dismiss it. Nonetheless, Henry David Thoreau used the etymology himself in his essay "Walking." Maybe Muir used Thoreau as his source. The Atlantic magazine originally published Thoreau's essay and they have a copy of it online at https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1862/06/walking/304674/

Like the chicken miracle in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, you kind of have to roll with it. Muir, Thoreau or ancient French, we're discussing intelligent subjects and it feels good. And whether or not Muir's words are totally accurate, his point is still worth serious contemplation I think. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Juspassinthrough -
Great thread - thank you.
Sauntering is a beautiful word and a wonderful thing - taking the time to walk slowly, to appreciate and give thanks for all that is around you - no matter where you are.
Cheers -
Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks JennyH94, as I was reading it, I was just sort of struck and I wanted to share it. I'm glad so many people enjoyed it as much as I did. David and Rick elevated the discussion by interjecting Thoreau and by examining Old vs New French and I mean that sincerely.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After reading some of these posts mentioning Muir and Thoreau (and a recalculation of my BMI this morning) I decided to head out and do some sauntering in Thoreau's haunts for a few hours. By the way, 2017 is the 200th anniversary of Thoreau's birth (July 12th.)

Thank you David for the link to the essay in the New Republic that discusses both the good and bad points about Thoreau the man. A few years ago I did read the "Pond Scum" essay in the New Yorker used by the New Republic author.

Regardless of what they say about Thoreau, I was fortunate enough to have been to Walden Pond a few years ago, at this time of the year too, when the leaves were in their autumn glory.

I have some pictures of a walk to Walden Pond I did this July on the forum. They are at:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...walk-locally-in-2017.44869/page-3#post-533716

Thoreau and his brother took a row boat trip down the Concord River and up the Merrimac River so they passed this spot on the Concord near my home:
concord-river-october-2016.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Personally, I prefer to sashay.

Have come across many quotes by John Muir and find them very inspiring. One thing though, he was Scottish. Born in Dunbar, East Lothian, his family emigrated when he was 11. Also known as John of the Mountains. "I would rather be on a mountain thinking of God, than in a church thinking of the mountain" Maybe not word perfect but that is my favourite Muir quote. I too have 'sauntered' the Camino and I love that interpretation of the word. There is another interpretation, which of course, I reject out of hand :) Saunterers were people who pretended they had been to the Holy Land to gain favours. Dont like that interpretation one little bit :)

I love this quote! It sums up exactly what we (my almost 82 year-old Dad, my daughter and I) are doing on our very slow way to Santiago!
Congratulations to you, your daughter and especially your almost 82 year old dad, for sauntering to Santiago! He must be quite an adventurous person

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thank you for the reminder and the 'a la sainte terre' - did not know that one. very well described/expressed.
now if we'd only realise that wherever we set foot on is holy land.
(and treat the land accordingly....)
last year in the fall, i had the pleasure to be saundering on the John Muir trail, west of Glasgow (the trail starts on the eastern coast of scotland, in dunbar, JM's birthplace)

view of loch lomond
View attachment 36808

saundering along lovely beeches ... onwards to loch lomand
View attachment 36810
and down again ... through a forest that reminded me of Fangorn (LOTR)
View attachment 36809

after the climb up from Craigendoran ... huff and puff... but I made it
View attachment 36807
Aye, glad, someone was aware he was Scottish. Likesayken?

I found this quote while sauntering on the Camino this past month! It's exactly what my brother did- saunter! I tried to emulate him- succeeded to some degree!

I found that some are better than others naturally. I learned to saunter but it came towards the end of my Camino. I'll be much better prep

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Seems the end of my post was cut off: I’ll be much better prepared next year.
There’s a movement in the culinarily world called slow food, meaning better products, better preparation, a better dining experience takes time to appreciate and savor. How about slow Camino for the same reasons?

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back