• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saying Hi and sharing some worries

mad milly

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Hi I and my husband are walking from St Jean on 15 April. It has been my dream and I wanted to walk during the time I would turn 50. We booked our non transferable flights in October last year. Since that time I have been significantly unwell and am much less fit than I usually would be. I am also much less prepared than I anticipated.
Crazy how plans can "turn to custard". Yesterday we had our walking and running shoes, and the boots we had purchased and broken in for the Camino stolen. I now feel very concerned as so many times I have read people say how essential it is to have broken in the footwear prior to beginning. Now we don't even have our normal walking and running shoes. Perhaps all part of our Camino journey?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi I and my husband are walking from St Jean on 15 April. It has been my dream and I wanted to walk during the time I would turn 50. We booked our non transferable flights in October last year. Since that time I have been significantly unwell and am much less fit than I usually would be. I am also much less prepared than I anticipated.
Crazy how plans can "turn to custard". Yesterday we had our walking and running shoes, and the boots we had purchased and broken in for the Camino stolen. I now feel very concerned as so many times I have read people say how essential it is to have broken in the footwear prior to beginning. Now we don't even have our normal walking and running shoes. Perhaps all part of our Camino journey?

Hola and welcome to the forum.

When I walked my first Camino, I had to change boots two days before my departure.
It turned out to be problem at all with minimum amount of foot issues.
Of course it will be different for different people so I cannot say you wont have a problem, but I think it should not hold one back from trying to do a Camino.
A good advice, in my opinion, is to focus on getting to ones starting point and then take it a day at the time.
Do remember to take it slow for the first week.
Let your feet, and body adjust to the effort you are applying to yourself.
Maybe go extra slow with new boots and change socks a couple of times a day.
When you take breaks, remove your boots and allow your feet to breath.
And the all the personalized prefferences regarding foot care can be applied: two parir of socks, vaseline, and much more.

I hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I can understand your concerns over footwear. But as mentioned above, modern footwear doesn't really need breaking in.

When I bought my boots a year before my first Camino, the discussion in the store went like this.......

"I need a pair of comfortable, supportive, lightweight boots to walk 8oo kms on the Camino"

OK try these on. (Saloman GTX mids)

"Wow, they feel like bedroom slippers! How long to break them in do you think"?

No need, they're ready to go...... (and they were)

"Well shouldn't I try a couple more for comparison"?

If you want to........but these are the best.

"I did......and they were. And they were great"

So.........just pop out and replace your footwear. The 'wearing in' is probably more for your feet these days, than the footwear! And you've done that already ;)

And as for being unfit and unprepared..... On my first Camino I developed Achilles Tendonitis in training, and could barely walk for 6 weeks before I departed. And about 2 weeks before departure I was bed ridden with back pain. Oh and I was also about 10 kgs above my intended walking weight.

The day I arrived in Paris was the first day I had worn my loaded pack in about 2 months and the first time I had walked more than about 500 metres in 6 weeks. The walk to the station was rather painful :eek:

But it only got better from there on. It's amazing what happens when you hoist your pack and get started on your first Camino day....all worries fade away.....and you just cope.......and your Spirits will soar :)

Last edited:
I can understand your concerns over footwear. But as mentioned above, modern footwear doesn't really need breaking in.

When I bought my boots a year before my first Camino, the discussion in the store went like this.......

"I need a pair of comfortable, supportive, lightweight boots to walk 8oo kms on the Camino"

So.........just pop out and replace your footwear. The 'wearing in' is probably more for your feet these days, than the footwear! And you've done that already ;)

And as for being unfir and unprepared..... On my first Camino I developed Achilles Tendonitis in training, and could barely walk for 6 weeks before I departed. And about 2 weeks before departure I was bed ridden with back pain. Oh and I was also about 10 kgs above my intended walking weight.

The day I arrived in Paris was the first day I had worn my loaded pack in about 2 months and the first time I had walked more than about 500 metres in 6 weeks. The walk to the station was rather painful :eek:

But it only got better from there on. It's amazing what happens when you hoist your pack and get started on your first Camino day....all worries fade away.....and you just cope.......and your Spirits will soar :)[/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

And as for being unfir and unprepared..... On my first Camino I developed Achilles Tendonitis in training, and could barely walk for 6 weeks before I departed. And about 2 weeks before departure I was bed ridden with back pain. Oh and I was also about 10 kgs above my intended walking weight.

But it only got better from there on. It's amazing what happens when you hoist your pack and get started on your first Camino day....all worries fade away.....and you just cope.......and your Spirits will soar :)

Thank you! Sometimes (or often) life doesn't go the way we plan it.

And on the Camino, it certainly doesn't always go as planned. So get used to it ! :D

But..........when your plans get trashed.........very often even better things emerge ;)

I was actually glad that I started out injured. It made me slow down and appreciate every single day that I could keep going..........

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Oh I am soooo looking forward to my spirits soaring! I will focus on that thought :)

You'll do fine, from what you have said so far you have the right frame of mind. Life has a habit of doing what we think are wrong turns, but in actual fact they are for the good. You know the old saying "One door closes and the other one slams in your face" but eventually the right one opens.
Just go with the flow and enjoy the whole experience, as for training you'll get that on the journey, although it's best to have done a little before you go, but if not don't worry. Just take your time, enjoy your surroundings and the people you'll meet on the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If your physical endurance is not what you think it should be, please book a room at Orrison. The first day is UPHILL and steep, and since you will not have your Camino stride yet that road to Roncesville is l-o-n-g. Orrison fills up quickly, so get on the computer and get crack a lackin' now. You'll thank me later.
You are right when you say your Camino has already started with the loss of your shoes. Things happen on the Camino (and before it, and after it) that have no explanation other than magic. Poof. Alacazam. Abracadabra. Or Divine Intervention. Whatever you want to call it, don't spend too much time trying to figure it out.
You won't.
You will not be centered or focused or happy with your life until you finish what you began, and for you that is the Camino. It began the minute you decided to walk. Everything else is just details.
Ultrea!

Mad Milly:

You still have two weeks. I usually only put about 30 miles on my new shoes before walking a Camino.

All new shoes are a little stiff and require some level of breaking in to make sure they accommodate your foot. This is a minor setback exclusive of the additional cost.

Ultreya,
Joe

my last Camino my boots sprung a leak after 2 days but on arrival at Zubiri there was a lovely sport shop just near the high street, I got a new set of boots straight from the box, and after another 700 km or so I walked into SDC no problems at all. Modern boots are pretty forgiving and require minimal break in time, not like the old fashioned leather ones, Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As the German general Moltka said, "No plan survives the first contact with the enemy!" you will do fine you have the right mental attitude!

The best laid plans of mice and men...welcome to the Camino!

I'm sorry about your shoes, @mad milly , that's definitely a bummer. But not to worry. Find a replacement that works and just go--the rest takes care of itself.
And you'll get fit as you walk, so long as you don't push too much in the first days.
One step after another--and you already know how to do that, so it's all you really need.
Everything else is extra.
Buen Camino and ultreia!

You'll do fine, from what you have said so far you have the right frame of mind. Life has a habit of doing what we think are wrong turns, but in actual fact they are for the good. You know the old saying "One door closes and the other one slams in your face" but eventually the right one opens.
Just go with the flow and enjoy the whole experience, as for training you'll get that on the journey, although it's best to have done a little before you go, but if not don't worry. Just take your time, enjoy your surroundings and the people you'll meet on the way.
Thank you Waka

€149,-
If your physical endurance is not what you think it should be, please book a room at Orrison. The first day is UPHILL and steep, and since you will not have your Camino stride yet that road to Roncesville is l-o-n-g. Orrison fills up quickly, so get on the computer and get crack a lackin' now. You'll thank me later.
You are right when you say your Camino has already started with the loss of your shoes. Things happen on the Camino (and before it, and after it) that have no explanation other than magic. Poof. Alacazam. Abracadabra. Or Divine Intervention. Whatever you want to call it, don't spend too much time trying to figure it out.
You won't.
You will not be centered or focused or happy with your life until you finish what you began, and for you that is the Camino. It began the minute you decided to walk. Everything else is just details.
Ultrea!
Thank you Coleen. Yes we have a booking at Orisson. From all I had read on the forum I was planning to start of as gently as possible.

Someone once said to me "When WE make plans, God laughs!". It probably took me a while before that became fully conscious through experiencing such 'mad' events in my life, but I got there in the end!

Have an amazing time!
Bom Caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond. So value the support and encouragement.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back