• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Securing your backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr (17), Prim (19), CF/Norte ‘21, Le Puy/Inv22
Hello Pilgrims,
I will be walking the Camino Frances route this April-mid May and am wondering how one secures the backpack in albergues, while showering,..or going to the laundry room etc... I get taking the vital passport and money items to the shower, but what about the backpack? Do you lock to the bedpost?
Just wondering

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some albergues have lockers that will be large enough to take a rucksack but I didn't often see these lockers. I never felt the need to lock my rucksack to the bunk or bed.

This question gets asked regularly. Here are a couple of discussions on the subject you might find helpful:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/keeping-backpack-etc-safe.39396/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ck-security-do-i-need-locks-and-a-mesh.17000/

ps it is often worth searching the forum using an external search tool (eg Google or DuckDuckGo). To make them just search just this forum, use a search string like this:

where the syntax site:www.xxx.xxx limits the search to the specific website that you have specified.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
As previously said, some albergues have lockers. Some with magnetic key, others witha locking pad you must provide. So bring one, a tin py travel one.

This being said, it is highly unlikely anyone will walk away with your back pack from an albergue, but these days it is best to take €, passport, electronics, into the shower with you. Yes, in super water proof bags.

So plan on some nylon bag to hang from a hook (I bring a succion cups with a hook in vase there are no hooks) and thick ziplock type bags to put your items in and then in the nylon bag.

No need to stow away, or lock your backpack while in the showers, out and about, eating, etc, but definitely a need not to leave anything of importance and value (wallet, money, electronics, passport, etc) in it while you are away from it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This question gets asked regularly. Here are a couple of discussion on the subject you might find helpful:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/keeping-backpack-etc-safe.39396/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ck-security-do-i-need-locks-and-a-mesh.17000/

ps it is often worth searching the forum using an external search tool (eg Google or DuckDuckGo). To make them just search just this forum, use a search string like this:

where the syntax site:www.xxx.xxx limits the search to the specific website that you have specified.
Thanks for these helpful links !

I always had the most important things (a wallet with papers and money or phone) close to me everywhere all the time, but otherwise I calmly left my backpack beside bed or bar or somewhere like that and it was fine. I trusted to people and hope on the Camino there are no thiefs.. Hope I'm not wrong!

The only places I ever felt the need to secure my backpack was outside bars where the packs would be left outside, right next to the road where cars would be stopping. Then I fastened my backpack to my husband's - and both of them to a table, lamp post or something else that would be noisy/fixed, using the hip strap.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are not going to be able to secure your pack. Even if the pack is locked to something and you somehow have the flaps locked too a sharp knife is all that is needed to get inside. What you may be able to do though is to prevent a grab and run. All that is needed for this is a spare shoelace tied to your pack and to another object like your dining partners' packs or a chair. A twenty kilo weight might do the trick too. ;)

There are thieves on the Camino (there has always been thieves on the Camino), and that topic has been covered on this forum before. As said many times on here just use a common sense approach to your valuables you cannot do without, passport, wallet, money, etc. Always have them with you 24/7. Never leave them in the pack when it is off your body, even while sleeping, in the bathroom, shower, etc.
While on the Camino I never talked to a fellow pilgrim that had clothing or a pack deliberately stolen from them, but did talk to a few that had money taken from their packs while left unattended. The thieves don't want packs or clothes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
your poles can be and if they are, are usually are taken by mistake by eager bleery eyed early morning walkers so put some sort of tape or marker on them...your bag is safe by your bunk but do take your valuables. also i waited to reward myself with a shell when i finished in santiago but its best to get a shell and put it on your bag so that in big cities like burgos or leon the would be thief might not take it knowing you are a pilgrim.

Quite early on you usually meet someone or someones you trust along the way and it doesn't become a problem as you take turns watching each others things.

EDIT:

But as mentioned POLES are the #1 thing I remember people having vanish, usually from big bins everyone put their poles in together.

Most alburgues require that backpacks aren't placed on the bunks. Therefore place on the floor, or hanging off a hook, etc near or beside your bunk.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yeah shoes and poles are taken off and stored in the first available space. But no one wants another's shoes but I did leave my poles in the virgin of Guadalupe just passed the golf course. Beware he is an eccentric hospitalero but he shut the gate and I could just see my poles not reach them. But as the Camino goes I was much happier without them, walking more upright but I recommend poles from the start
Most alburgues require that backpacks aren't placed on the bunks. Therefore place on the floor, or hanging off a hook, etc near or beside your bunk.
Mighty insightful

Yeah shoes and poles are taken off and stored in the first available space. But no one wants another's shoes but I did leave my poles in the virgin of Guadalupe just passed the golf course. Beware he is an eccentric hospitalero but he shut the gate and I could just see my poles not reach them. But as the Camino goes I was much happier without them, walking more upright but I recommend poles from the start

Mighty insightful

Did you buy them at the start or bring them James? I didn't use poles but the poles at the store in St Jean seemed far less expensive than prices over here.

Did you buy them at the start or bring them James? I didn't use poles but the poles at the store in St Jean seemed far less expensive than prices over here.
If you want a light pole, that folds down so they can be put into a backpack, then they will be pricy, and buying them at hime may insure you can get some. And obviously, if you want Pacer poles, you have to ordee them and have them shipped.

Question is, how much of a difference will a 200 gram pole make vs a pole hald the weight? For some it will make a difference, step after step. For others not.

As for "wooden poles" these are staffs, and are not used like poles. First of all, you only use one. Second of all, the technique is very different. I habe to stay that I tend to use my walking poles as if they were staffs. B
Very very technique. But I like using them for balance over rocky terrain, espeically going down hill.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I read a lot of approaches to avoid bed bugs, pack off the bunk and floor, seal your entire pack in a large garbage bag to deter bed bugs. Off the bunk and floor make sense if there is a place away from the bunk to hang them, but does anyone actually seal their pack in a large garbage bag? It seems like it would add to the noise in the early morning.

does anyone actually seal their pack in a large garbage bag? It seems like it would add to the noise in the early morning.
A garbage bag would surely create noise in the early morning but for the purpose of keeping bedbugs out of the pack a large nylon stuff sack would do the job. It could be multi-purpose. Make it a bright color and add some reflective tape and it can be be draped over the pack when walking in the early morning dark. It could be used also as a handbag for shopping or for dirty clothes.

Or cut it open to make it larger and set it out to make it easier for the helicopters to find you when lost in the Pyrennees.;)

I read a lot of approaches to avoid bed bugs, pack off the bunk and floor, seal your entire pack in a large garbage bag to deter bed bugs. Off the bunk and floor make sense if there is a place away from the bunk to hang them, but does anyone actually seal their pack in a large garbage bag? It seems like it would add to the noise in the early morning.
I never saw anyone do it, but I suppose if you did do it, and grabbed the bagged up pack and did your prep outside of the sleeping area it would be no problem. Minimal noise.
You will see in the albergues the pilgrims who do 5:00 am pack sorting and inventories in the sleeping quarters. Rustling of packs and gear, not so mute whispering, clanking of metallic objects and headlamp beams flashing everywhere. It's aggravating as heck, but also comical because of the lack of logic or common sense to it. There is a lighted common area just meters away behind closed doors where you can actually see what you are doing and disturb no one. I've actually laid in the bunk and laughed watching them and in return get their puzzled looks as if saying "what's so funny?".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I never saw anyone do it, but I suppose if you did do it, and grabbed the bagged up pack and did your prep outside of the sleeping area it would be no problem. Minimal noise.
You will see in the albergues the pilgrims who do 5:00 am pack sorting and inventories in the sleeping quarters. Rustling of packs and gear, not so mute whispering, clanking of metallic objects and headlamp beams flashing everywhere. It's aggravating as heck, but also comical because of the lack of logic or common sense to it. There is a lighted common area just meters away behind closed doors where you can actually see what you are doing and disturb no one. I've actually laid in the bunk and laughed watching them and in return get their puzzled looks as if saying "what's so funny?".
Wow, people are funny (sometimes). I hope I keep my sense of humor, being a light sleeper these days.

Mighty insightful
Yep, I am walking without poles also

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow, people are funny (sometimes). I hope I keep my sense of humor, being a light sleeper these days.
Yeah, it doesn't happen all that often, just comical when it does. I came to the conclusion that most people who walk the Camino have never experienced communal living before (at least as an adult) and some just have no clue on how to adjust to it.
I always got plenty of sleep on the Camino and was also a big fan of the afternoon siesta. Those can be damn nice after a day of walking.

Yeah, it doesn't happen all that often, just comical when it does. I came to the conclusion that most people who walk the Camino have never experienced communal living before (at least as an adult) and some just have no clue on how to adjust to it.
I always got plenty of sleep on the Camino and was also a big fan of the afternoon siesta. Those can be damn nice after a day of walking.
Agreed, regarding the siesta particularly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Quite early on you usually meet someone or someones you trust along the way and it doesn't become a problem as you take turns watching each others things.

EDIT:

But as mentioned POLES are the #1 thing I remember people having vanish, usually from big bins everyone put their poles in together.

One morning I found a couple standing looking at the poles bin, when I asked them if there was something wrong they asked me if they could take any one of them, I had to explain them that although the albergues was donativo, that did not included the peregrinos walking poles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use a label-maker machine to print out a label with my last name in bold letters and wrap that around the top of my poles near the handle so there can be no confusion as to whose poles they might be. A wrap or two of colorful duct (gaffer) tape is a great identifier too.

I use a label-maker machine to print out a label with my last name in bold letters and wrap that around the top of my poles near the handle so there can be no confusion as to whose poles they might be. A wrap or two of colorful duct (gaffer) tape is a great identifier too.
I clipped mine together by the hand straps with one of those inexpensive small carabiner clips you can get anywhere these days. I used a bright colored one that stood out. They are also great for double duty, like hanging wet flip-flops off your pack and such.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn't really secure my ruck per se, besides zipping pockets up, drawstrings tied. I never left my shoes outside the dorms, except at one albergue but their was only 5 other people there. Poles were always strapped to the pack when I wasn't using them. Rucksack was either on the bed or under it, but I mainly kept it close.

Saying that, aside from the poles, the most expensive/important things I had were my phone, passport and meds, and I kept them on me or close. Everything else were not things people would steal, unless they really wanted to lug a 3kg tent or 2kg sleeping bag around with them. ;)

Thank you. You made me laugh.
I always put my valuables inside the foot of my sleeping bag at night.

Me too. Passport and wallet etc inside the sleeping bag. And like others I make use of a cheap re-chargeable battery that you can leave without much risk of loss.

One other thing which isnt strictly security related is re-sealable sandwich bags for almost everything in the back pack. One extra layer against the rain.

Duncan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A garbage bag would surely create noise in the early morning but for the purpose of keeping bedbugs out of the pack a large nylon stuff sack would do the job. It could be multi-purpose. Make it a bright color and add some reflective tape and it can be be draped over the pack when walking in the early morning dark. It could be used also as a handbag for shopping or for dirty clothes.

Or cut it open to make it larger and set it out to make it easier for the helicopters to find you when lost in the Pyrennees.;)

Insight into back packs, poles, valuables. However I will be walking across the Pyrennees on my own late summer/early autumn and definitely will be wearing bright red and yellow (life saving colours on Aussie beaches) ...just in case I do get lost!!! Reassuring to know helicopters will come out, just like in the bush. However I have been told I cant get lost!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a "backpack"cover which is lockable. Its the one that goes over/around my backpack when sent as checked baggage. I have a steal wire lock which when added to the other lock means I can lock the backpack to my bunk. I think this one is either dueter or osprey. I work on the principal that someone using a knife to cut open the cover is going to arouse suspicion/interest. I have never considered a waterproof bag for the passport/money/cards etc but may bring a few middle size zip lock pages for this purpose. Cheers.

Isn't that amazing. I guess I'll just see what happens, but I know it will be involve a cast of characters
I have a "backpack"cover which is lockable. Its the one that goes over/around my backpack when sent as checked baggage. I have a steal wire lock which when added to the other lock means I can lock the backpack to my bunk. I think this one is either dueter or osprey. I work on the principal that someone using a knife to cut open the cover is going to arouse suspicion/interest. I have never considered a waterproof bag for the passport/money/cards etc but may bring a few middle size zip lock pages for this purpose. Cheers.
Yes, it seems like I should bring at least several of the larger zip lock type bags for trips to the shower! (Assuming that one or two might get damaged over a month on the trail)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
FYI, I have had good success with ALOKSAK bags. They are a heavy duty Ziploc type bag that comes in assorted sizes. I would guess that they are about 4mil thick, so they are pretty durable. However, they can still be misplaced.

don't think you would ever need this and it sends a message to the new pilgrims...i never locked my osprey and it made it with me the whole way

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the whole, I'm not afraid that pilgrims will steal my bakpack - they have enough to carry! My valuables are always on my body (including any middle-of-the-night toilet visits), but the only backpack thefts I have ever heard of, and those exceedingly rare at that, were people passing in cars who grabbed backpacks left unattended outside bars.

I really wouldn't bring special stuff to secure my backpack. It weighs something!

Keep your valuables with you. I take my money belt, electronics, etc. with me to the shower in a waterproof nylon bag with my toiletries.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do what I did! Great success on my Caminos keeping my stuff safe.

I took a 1m x 1m x 1m sized steel safe. It had a comb lock. I had a chain welded to the safe. And at the end of the chain I had a 80kg boat anchor welded to the chain. It worked! I had flashing red lights attached to the safe. Also a very loud alarm buzzer was on the safe as well. OMG I was covered!! No one would get my stuff!! Not on my Camino.

I was a real sight walking down the Camino with the safe, chain and anchor. And my pack...read below...

Only issue I had with that set up was I had the chain ran through one of the back pack straps...you know the ones that unsnap?? So someone one night merely unsnapped the pack and took it. I woke up with the safe, chain and anchor all sitting where I left them...in the middle of the floor where everyone tripped over them in the middle of the night. They were all cursing me all night long! Some couldn't even walk in the morning from tripping on my safe!

I forgot to put my valuables into the safe that night! Put my earthly valuables into my pack since I thought no one could run off with it. But they did. Yep they got me!

But not to be out smarted! Not I !! I put garlic and onions and rotten eggs into my back pack. Just incase someone stole it. That way I could follow the smell per say.

Yep, I found my pack...just out side on the street. Seems they didn't like my choice of smelly stuff. By the way, I filled the pack completely full of rotten eggs, rotten fish, old smelly socks, onions and garlic. Even put a dead rat in there for just in case. Even had my underwear that I wore for two weeks walking in...never washed. Boy did those smell good and rotten! That pack was full to the top with horrible smelling stuff!

After all of this, I just can't figure out why no one seems to like me on the Camino.....I don't make Camion friends.

My next trick to prevent people from stealing my hiking poles ....is to super glue them to the metal frame of the bunk bed. Yep, that will stop 'em from stealing my hiking poles. Once and for all. In fact,,, for ever with those poles.

Just joking. I do as everyone on here says...keep valuables close by. Even take to shower. All the rest of the stuff is stuff no one would take anyway.

Just exercise common sense and don't leave your PP, money or meds laying around.

Most important...enjoy the Camino your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Pilgrims,
I will be walking the Camino Frances route this April-mid May and am wondering how one secures the backpack in albergues, while showering,..or going to the laundry room etc... I get taking the vital passport and money items to the shower, but what about the backpack? Do you lock to the bedpost?
Just wondering
Althouogh one does wonder about the security of your possessions we have never felt the need to be worried. Some albergues do have lockers but we have never lost any items or monies when on the camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Pilgrims,
Just wondering

It's unlikely you'll lose anything (but not entirely unheard of) in an albergues, particularly at the start of the Camino. You'll be walking with like minded people on a like minded journey. You'll more likely be looked after than robbed from. I always took the view that if someone wanted my used clothes, used shoes or used bedding, they were in greater need than me...
Outside of the albergues, keep a close eye on your gear, particularly in the cities... Buen Camino...

Hello Pilgrims,
Just wondering
Honesty system I suppose. I took my important documents and money with me whenever or wherever I go and leave the backpack without locks. And nothing was lost or stolen. Good luck and Buen Camino.

So, I'm assuming that this Pacsafe wire mesh encasement is overkill? https://pacsafe.com/collections/por...roducts/55l-anti-theft-backpack-bag-protector It weighs an entire pound and takes up 5" x 5" x 1" of valuable space. This decision has been weighing on me! Lewis & Clark makes a much smaller and lighter retractable cable lock that would prevent a snatch & grab when momentarily leaving bags... is that a better opthion?

Lewis & Clark makes a much smaller and lighter retractable cable lock that would prevent a snatch & grab when momentarily leaving bags.
A shoe lace would prevent most snatch and grabs.

I would not leave anything valuable even momentarily, which is why I do not put valuables into my backpack. I wear them on my body all the time except in the shower.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.