• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking a Medium Camino Ready Gravel bike from SJPP from ~5 April 2024

Kwanganeen

Time of past OR future Camino
Future camino
Excited to be doing the Camino solo and meeting people along the way. A long time cyclist, and 50+ thought I'd take my time, and let the bike do the carrying. Will most likely Rent a bike, but am open to buying a quality gravel/mtb Camino ready (with paniers, toolkit, spares, lights etc.) bike as I want to take over 25 days to do this. Flexible with Start, between 1-7 April. Can't wait to meet you all on the Frances Way. Karen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2015 I bought a second hand MTB in Anglet. It was a very good refurbished hire-bike from a bike shop. Here’s one which provides that service.
I booked a place for myself and bike on the Express Bourricot shuttle to St Jean. I note that Jobike deliver to anwhere in France if you prefer.
It might be worth your while to contact them.
There will be a problem at Santiago. I simply donated the bike to volunteer organisation when I arrived.
An alternative is to rent from a Spanish business ( I’ve used Triana Backpackers who will deliver anywhere in Spain) and begin at Roncesvalles.
Note: I’m pretty sure you cannot rent in France and drop off in Spain.

Taking 25 days to ride from SJPdP to Santiago involves an average daily distance of 32 kms, which is what most walkers manage. Why go to the expense of buying and shipping or hiring a heavy, fully equipped gravel bike, complete with tools, spares etc., and the effort of hauling it over the Pyrenees, merely for its carrying capacity? Why not walk with a light backpack. (There's plenty of advice of minimalist packing on this forum.) I write as a veteran cyclist and walker.

Taking 25 days to ride from SJPdP to Santiago involves an average daily distance of 32 kms, which is what most walkers manage. Why go to the expense of buying and shipping or hiring a heavy, fully equipped gravel bike, complete with tools, spares etc., and the effort of hauling it over the Pyrenees, merely for its carrying capacity? Why not walk with a light backpack. (There's plenty of advice of minimalist packing on this forum.) I write as a veteran cyclist and walker.
So maybe the OP doesn't want to walk for reasons that they haven't chosen to share? Plus where is it stated that they are carrying a lot of stuff? Maybe it's a question of taking time to visit. Actually, not everyone will walk that far in an average day. So how about actually providing a helpful answer? As a cyclist you may have some useful information.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola @Paladina and @Barbara,
Having both cycled and walked the Camino Frances I doubt I would cycle any camino again. Yes for some pilgrims time to complete is an issue, as is physical conditions etc.
I found that by walking (at 4-5km per hour) I was able to take in more of my surroundings. Plus it was a lot easier to stop and take photo when walking. But hey to each his/her own. Cheers

I lost this site and just found it again. Thanks all, yes a knee issue is preventing me to walk such distances, and I am keen to slow travel and enjoy the sights and stay longer in towns that am drawn to. I have hired a bike and they give the 3rd week for free. They drop off and pick up and provide all the tools. Cycling Rentals. Many thanks for your great contributions. I would love to walk with the pilgrims, but hope to get more up close conversations in the afternoon evenings. I've not booked any accommodation on the camino, other than Santiago & SJPP and am hoping to rock up to the Albergues, does anyone think there is any concern over this strategy?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back