• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2010 Camino Frances Hopefuls

Goose Gregson

My wife & I are now in the planning stages for a September 2010 Camino Frances trek. I will be 60, my wife 53... We are very active hikers from the mountains of Montana & hike Rim to Rim to Rim twice a year across the Grand Canyon. Our question to the forum is whether or not the trek can be done over the span of roughly 30 days? Obviously there are lots of variables to consider, but barring injuries or other possible setbacks, for planning purposes is 30 days in September a reasonable time frame to complete the 500-mile journey? Thanks for any & all responses from those out there who have made the trip!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Goose Gregson said:
We are very active hikers from the mountains of Montana & hike Rim to Rim to Rim twice a year across the Grand Canyon. Our question to the forum is whether or not the trek can be done over the span of roughly 30 days? Obviously there are lots of variables to consider, but barring injuries or other possible setbacks, for planning purposes is 30 days in September a reasonable time frame to complete the 500-mile journey?
Hi there are welcome to the forum. It took me 37 days to get from Roncesvalles to Santiago, though many do it in more like 32 days or so. If you are fit and used to hiking, you will quite possibly make faster progress than I did. If you have a time limit, and find you are not quite making the distance you envisaged, you could always use public transport to bypass some of the route. You would still be entitled to a compostela so long as you walked the last 100km into Santiago.
Margaret

It took my boyfriend and I 31 days to walk from St Jean to Santiago. We only had one rest day, due to blisters) in Logrono. We are very used to long distance trekking, having done the Tour de Mont Blanc, the Corsican High Route, the Swiss Alpine Pass Route, the Pyrenees High Route, the GR 5 in France, the entire traverse of the Cordillera Real, the Cordillera Quimsa Cruz and the Cordillera Apolombamba in Bolivia, several Inca trails in Bolivia, the trek to Macchu Picchu in Peru, etc. With the exception of the Corsican High Route, I can honestly say that I have never been on a trek that has been so hard on the feet. The Corsican High Route is tough on the feet because the first week is essentially on very rocky paths. The Camino Frances is hard on the feet because it is mostly flat. So, If you walk for 20 to 30 km per day your feet just get the same pounding in the same place hour after hour. At least if you are walking in the hills, your foot is always in a slightly different position and so it isn't such a strain on the tendons. We are well used to walking over 30km a day, but during the Camino we eventually had to settle with 20 to 30 km for most days (though we did 30 to 37 km on most days between Burgos and Leon (it took us 6 days for that stretch)). My two top recommendations are to strip back as much as you can from your backback. We started off with too much stuff (i.e. stuff that we could normally carry into the hills, like a tent and cooking stuff). This got posted back in Logrono. Also, if you ever see something called 'unguento peregrino' buy it! It is essentially vaseline that has been infused with eucaplytus, mint and other nice stuff. It is great for massaging into the feet at the beginning of the day and does prevent chaffing. It is also magic to be able to rub this into your feet at the end of the day. I would also recommend a pair of sandals (not flip flops but something you can walk in if you have to). I find in hot weather that my feet swell a few sizes. I had bought larger than normal walking shoes for this trip, but they weren't big enough. So I developed a few blisters until I bought an even larger pair in Logrono (old ones were posted back). I normally take a size 39 European and the pair that fit in the shop (I bought them immediately after we arrived so that my feet would be at their maximum swolleness) were 42. When we booked our flights, we didn't leave enough time to go onto Finestere, which we regretted. This year, we are doing the Portuguese Route and have factored in enough time for injury days and to go to Finestere and Muxia.

What ended up making it all the way to Santiago? Light weight sleeping bag and foam pad (just in case), walking poles, sandals, walking shoes (you don't need heavy boots as most of the Camino is on good surfaces), two sets of clothing (Camino clothes (lightweight/fast drying shirt and shorts) and evening clothing (fast drying shirt and trousers (washed clothing dries very quickly)), socks and liner socks (bridgedale) (3 pairs), underwear (3 pairs), very light weight fleece, rain jacket, rain trousers (you will be thankful for this when you hit Galicia), sun hat (Tilly), sun glasses and normal glasses, suntan lotion and aftersun lotion, compede (but you can get this at most pharmacies along the way), a needle for pricking blisters, ibuproflen (anti-imflamatory + pain killer), ear plugs (for albergues), watch with altimeter and alarm, anti-histamine pills for insect bits (warning, there are bed bugs on the camino and when you are bitten you will be glad you have anti-histamine tables), zink oxide creme for heat rashes, 2L camelbak water bag, guide book, a small bottle of alcohol (toughens skin on feet and acts as a disinfectant), pilrgrims foot ointment, a datastick with important files from work just in case I had to try to sort something out from an internet cafe, a mobile phone, a head torch (we would start off half an hour to an hour before sunrise), tooth brush, tooth paste, deoderant, a hair brush, bio-degradable soap, camping towel and a camera. Safey pins are also a good idea if you want to hang drying clothing off of your bag. Some people also bring a portable drying line. I have also just remembered (and so used the editing function to add this in) that I had a swiss army knife (scissors, knife and corkscrew all useful) and a foldable Swedish army cup (handy at the fuente de vino and for generally filling up the camelbak).

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hallo Goose Gregson, me and my wife,both like you active walkers on the Alpes, did the Camino in year 2000. We were 56 then,discovered the Camino on some brochure, and 15 days later we were in Saint Jean pied de Port, thinking we would walk as far as we could...we got to Santiago in 28 days. Since then every year we've been on a Santiago walk (we're just back from the Vezelay route ). If you are rteasonably fit,which i think is your case, you should have no problem in doing the Camino in 30 days of walking.
You already have received one important suggestion: TRAVEL LIGHT (it will be easy to find a list of what you REALLY need to take with you condidering you'll be walking thru large towns and villages wher you'll be able to find anything you need) , and let me add one : no special training is needed, only a lot of walking on flat terrain....in fact you will have significant up and down only on three stages,the Pirenees, the Cebreiro and the Cruz de Hierro, the others being mostly flat .
I just wonder how you'll be able to wait for a year.....let me know if you need anything else
Ciao from Italy
Giorgio

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.