• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2012

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi all,

My friend and I are planning on walking from Le Puy to SJPP mid September 2012.

Just wondering what the weather is like that time of year.

Thanks,
Sonia
:D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The weather for walking in September is quite good. I left from Le Puy on 4 Sept in 2010 and will leave from Cahors on 6 Sept in 2011. The section from Le Puy to Figeac is at higher elevation, especially at Channalles pass and at Golinhac, and those nights were chilly. We had one day of rain each week. Now, I live in Seattle and people make jokes about how rainy it is here. But let me tell you, the French have real rain. Thunderstorms. Gusty winds. Occasional downpours. Then the squall line passes on through and the next day is lovely. But if you have the bad luck to be caught out in the weather, be prepared.

I was quite comfortable in a poncho and gaiters, with a microfiber undershirt and long-sleeve shirt on most nights. However, this year I'll take an actual lightweight jacket with me as well (swapping out for the 3rd shirt). Likely I won't need it due to the lower altitude on this year's section ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Delted by poster. Whoops I was talking about the Camino Francés. I hadn't read the question properly. :oops:

Sonia, I only saw the Aubrac Plateau in cold weather, with snow, wind, sleet...and I still loved it. It's my ambition to go back there in mild weather. I'd say you have much to look forward to.

As a bonus, you'll see another favourite region, the warm Bearn, in cooling conditions. October should be ideal. One can always be unlucky with rain and sudden swings of the weather anywhere near the Pyrenees, but, if you go prepared as suggested by Kitsambler, all should be well.

Stay dry, enjoy. It's an unforgettable ramble.

Cheers from the Mid North Coast

Rob

Sonia, Kay from NZ was walking from Le Puy over the Aubrac Plateau this past June, and found some parts of her first days walking very cold and wet. Though you might strike it warm and hot, the early days out of Le Puy en Velay are at a high altitude, and you could really strike mountain conditions anytime.
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I left Le Puy at the end of August 2008. It was really hot to begin with, but became chilly (but not awful) by the end of September. I only had one day of serious rain (near Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port), though there were brief rain showers at other times.

Anna-Marie

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time and replying to my question. Your input has been very useful. At this point in time, we're looking at commencing our walk mid September.

Marthac, thanks for the invite but I live in Australia, a little too far to travel.. :wink:

Buen camino all!
Sonia
:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HI Sonia,
I'm also planning to start the Camino from Puy at about that time. Wondering whether to take a sleeping bag or not-are you? How much French do you have? Mine's pretty basic but planning on improving before I go.
Be great to keep in touch, as it sounds like English speakers are a bit thin on the ground on the Puy!
Cheers,
Heather :D

HeatherWriter said:
Wondering whether to take a sleeping bag or not-

There's no need for an actual sleeping bag on the Le Puy route unless you have some special circumstances, such as plans to camp out or sleep rough. A silk sleep sack will be enough, as blankets are always available.

I'm glad you're planning to brush up your French language skills; I worked hard on learning some basic French in the year between my two walks on Le Puy, and it made a huge difference in how much I enjoyed the trip. The French (especially those in the hospitality industry) seem to understand some English usually, but they are not comfortable speaking it. Also the other walkers will be 85% French, and they find walking a very social activity. There will be lots of conversation around the dinner table. Frequently I encountered a horrified reaction to my walking alone, as I would have no one to talk to me.

I wondered if it might get cold in the high altitude spots-no? Do you think the same is true for the Camino in Spain (I'm a warm sleeper)?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
HeatherWriter said:
I wondered if it might get cold in the high altitude spots-no? Do you think the same is true for the Camino in Spain (I'm a warm sleeper)?

In France, blankets were available every night. If you sleep especially cool, then some lightweight silk long-underwear will be a lighter-weight solution than carrying a sleeping bag. Walking in September, the only night I needed the room heater was at Chanaleilless, up at the pass which is the highest elevation on the route.

I have not walked the route in Spain yet, but as I understand the other forum posters, in Spain the blankets are frequently not provided. (I'm not sure whether there is a difference between the municipal albergues and the private albergues on this point.)

Kitsambler said:
HeatherWriter said:

In France, blankets were available every night. If you sleep especially cool, then some lightweight silk long-underwear will be a lighter-weight solution than carrying a sleeping bag. Walking in September, the only night I needed the room heater was at Chanaleilless, up at the pass which is the highest elevation on the route.

I have not walked the route in Spain yet, but as I understand the other forum posters, in Spain the blankets are frequently not provided. (I'm not sure whether there is a difference between the municipal albergues and the private albergues on this point.)

Heather and Kit,

On the Camino Frances there is no set rule about blankets being provided or not in municipal or private albergues. In late autumn and winter it is necessary to provide you own warmth for sleeping. Since I always walk during that time I wear a long-sleeved tee, tights and socks to bed, have a silk liner and and, of course, carry a sleeping bag. On the coldest nights I wear my wooly hat to bed also. Be prepared is a good motto!

Margaret

PS If you would like a list of those albergues where there were no blankets send a PM.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back