• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2017 Camino Frances Walk Single Canadian

Taydavies14

Time of past OR future Camino
Canadian guy planning on walking from September of 2017 on the Frances route. Hope to meet great people and enjoy a great journey.
Hello there,

I am a young Canadian guy looking to walk the Camino in September of 2017. I have had many up's and downs as I am sure all of us have. Sharing life and enjoying others in a true connection is what I am about. I am very social and I cannot wait to meet a bunch of new and exciting people to share my life with.

Is anyone else walking the Camino Frances around the time of September 2017?

Does anyone have any tips, pointers, must-do's, or must-don'ts?

Thanks so much! :)

Taylor

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will meet lots of people the minute you ser foot on the Frances, so don't worry about walking companions. As for packing strategies, footware, healthcare, and other tips, just keep checking in and use the search function on the forum. Key is to carry as little as possible (without expecting others to bail you out - 8kg at the airport should do it), opt for chothes that dry fast, and light footware you will have broken into before departure.

Here is one trick, hopefully others will add one each: bring a dual USB port European plug like this one, assuming you are planning on taking a smart phone for taking pictures and wifi, like this one. The dual port means you will be sharing the outlet with others which will earn you browny points:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MV6UBIC/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Hi Taylor, you are about to have the adventure of a lifetime, proper footwear and keeping your pack weight down are the keys to a more enjoyable Camino. Spend your time researching equipmement and the best way to get to your starting point, don't micro plan everyday. I made resevations the first night in St Jean Pied de Port and then for the second night at Orrison then I just followed the flow of the Camino.

I brought a length of cord to use as a clothesline as well as a 2" diameter rubber sink stop ( made form an old innertube ) . I found these two things invaluable.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't carry too much. It's amazing how little you really need! I have just returned home after doing 310km of the Camino and then some travel through Europe for a few weeks after. I found myself looking at my wardrobe when I got home and thinking "I don't need half of this". Make sure your shoes are well worn in and you rotate your socks every 4 hours (this tip was given to me by a wise Irish man :)). Leave a pair to dry out on the back of your pack. I got not blisters and my feet were in a good state at the end. And above all enjoy! It was one of the best things I have ever done!

Buen Camino

Taylor, there is an active Canadian Camino Community on facebook as well. Heading all the chapters is the CCOP or Canadian Company of Pilgrims https://www.santiago.ca The website is now updated. Here you can connect with a chapter near you.

i.e. I hail from Ontario near Toronto and am administrator of the Toronto Camino Pilgrims facebook page... it's not as professional as this forum... there are limitations with a free page. It does give you valuable information and other interesting articles re Caminos.

However, if you live near Toronto, you might want to come to our next pilgrim information event TBA for March. We also are a very social walking group, walking each Monday and Friday in the ravines and waterfront of Toronto, great Camino prep walks. You might want to join us for a walk, and you have your pick of veteran peregrinos to answer all your questions.

Buen Camino

You will meet lots of people the minute you ser foot on the Frances, so don't worry about walking companions. As for packing strategies, footware, healthcare, and other tips, just keep checking in and use the search function on the forum. Key is to carry as little as possible (without expecting others to bail you out - 8kg at the airport should do it), opt for chothes that dry fast, and light footware you will have broken into before departure.

Here is one trick, hopefully others will add one each: bring a dual USB port European plug like this one, assuming you are planning on taking a smart phone for taking pictures and wifi, like this one. The dual port means you will be sharing the outlet with others which will earn you browny points:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MV6UBIC/?tag=santiagodec0b-20
I have a question about the dual USB port outlet. If I bought my iPhone 6 in the US, can I plug the USB directly into this port or do I need some kind of converter? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't want to blow my phone up! Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Taylor
You are in for the trip of a lifetime, every question you have, can and will be answered by the experienced pilgrims on this forum, remember that there are no stupid questions.
I always find that the planning is an exciting part of the camino, when you see the places that you have researched everything starts to fall into place.
One thing I will emphasis to you is "go with the flow" that way things will happen that you never dreamed of.
Happy planning.

I have a couple of suggestions to get you started......

1) If you are a social guy, plan to stay at the albergues. Resist the urge to book ahead of time, fearing that you won't have anywhere to stay. There is always somewhere to stay, and you will meet new people almost every day. There will be hundreds of other pilgrims leaving the day you leave - you are at no risk of loneliness unless you want to be alone.

2) There is an exception to the above. Book Orisson in advance. Its kind of a staging area for the Camino, and you will meet 25 other pilgrims right away in an ideal setting. Some of these people will be faster or slower than you, but some of them you will walk into the square with on the last day.

3) Young people can sometimes get away with minimal/no training. I do not recommend this as many people either fall out or have a truly miserable time due to injuries, fatigue, and blisters. Start now by selecting footwear, and walking in it. I tried several different shoes before I found ones I liked. A month before you leave, buy a new set of your preferred shoes, and break them in. If you can walk at least 15K (with your pack!) at least a few times a week without issues, you are likely to have very few problems. Include hills in your training route. If you are on the prairies, find a staircase. The Camino is not flat!

4) As others have said, don't take too much stuff. You are not walking through a wilderness, its mostly a farming area. Having done the Camino, I could easily imagine getting off the train in SJPD with good shoes, a pack I like, and rainwear I trust. You can buy everything else. Take no spares, stock, "just-in-case", or extra of anything- its all available at the towns you will walk through. You are rarely more than three hours away from a drink, an aspirin, a washing machine, a pair of scissors, or an ATM.

5) Get your equipment at MEC (its a Canada thing). They have the right stuff, and have a really good return policy for things that don't work out as expected. Other than underwear, you should have nothing made of cotton in your possession when you leave. Its heavy and takes too long to dry. If you can afford it, the Tilley hats were born to do the Camino. Either way, you need a hat.

6) Buy a guide book. I used Brierly, but there are others. You will use it several times per day. We came to refer to it as "The Good Book" when stopping along the way.

7) You have to sneak across the border to buy permethrin to treat your pack and sleeping bag. It is not for sale in Canada but readily available in the USA. Just trying to save you some time here. As you do your research, you will figure out why!

This forum is the best place for advice, although some of it will be contrary or contentious. There is rarely one "Right" way to do anything, so do what works for you. Above all, worry and plan less; train and anticipate more. This is a great adventure. It takes you out of your comfort zone physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I never met anyone who was not affected by the experience, and came away a better person. As others have noted, they would give anything to walk the Camino for the first time again. I cannot do that, but you can.

Buen Camino.

Judy,

No converter needed for the Iphone, it converts itself. Just plug in and watch it charge. Same for the Ipad.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a couple of suggestions to get you started......
7) You have to sneak across the border to buy permethrin to treat your pack and sleeping bag. It is not for sale in Canada but readily available in the USA. Just trying to save you some time here. As you do your research, you will figure out why!

Buen Camino.
Not so, permetryn is available in Canada: exterminators carry it. They may tell you you should not be buying sonce you don't know how to use it, and will tell you not to use it on your sleeping bag and packpack, but you can buy it.

It is also available on Amazon.ca:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003YCMZQ8/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

All of the above...enjoy ....biggest and best piece of advice is really keep your packing to a minimum....lots of info on here for all seasons I think.
Might see you on the road as thinking of making partial(3 week) return trip Sept/oct nexr year.
Check out your sock combo before you go....I ended up buying a couple of pairs in Spain as mine were just not quite right.
Check out everything before you go and be really ruthless with your bag weight.
But you really will have fun...
Orrison is a good meeting place and I did reach Santuago with some of those I started with....its fun to watch and see who arrives after you and the feeling of joy when its someone you know is fantastic. Buen Camino

Hi Taylor,
There's already a lot of great advice here, so I won't add much to it! I'm from Nova Scotia and walked the Francès from Leon to Santiago in September a couple of years ago. The weather that time of year (for me, anyway) was pretty terrific, so you can get by with a sleep sheet or summer-weight sleeping bag. MEC has a newer model of the one I used that's a sleeping bag on one side, sheet on the other. My only other suggestion is to try out all of your gear before you leave. Hand wash and air dry your clothes, try your boots in rain, that sort of thing. Finally, if you bank with Scotiabank, you can save on bank fees by limiting your cash withdrawals to partner banks. Looks like Deutsche Bank in the Spain banking partner these days. Buen Camino!
Krista

€60,-
@Taydavies14
I would only add that, while you would be wise to begin your camino shopping at MEC, if you don't find what you want, or what will fit you, especially footwear, shop elsewhere. Yes, it is true that it is great to be able to return items to MEC, but you are just wasting time if they don't carry what you need. I bought the backpack which I used on camino at MEC, and also two garments in merino wool, both on sale. But I had to go to Atmosphere to get boots that fit me, a lightweight sleeping bag and two merino t shirts (all on sale for very reasonable prices). And MEC, at least in Calgary, does not carry some popular brands, eg. Osprey backpacks. I second the recommendation for a Tilley hat. I have worn mine on two caminos so far, and it has the same return policy as MEC, so is replaced if faulty or worn out (local shops here charge a $5 return fee).
You can get Blaze Pro Crawling Insect Destroyer (to spray against bedbugs) at Home Depot and Canadian Tire. It contains both pyrethrin and permethrin and I have used it before both my caminos. Learn how to do so safely.
I see that you have lots of time for planning. I agree with @Rick M that footwear is the most vital part of your gear. Shop carefully and make sure it is well broken in and you have socks that work for you. It doesn't hurt to learn a little about taking care of your feet and to carry what suits you for footcare. I have given away large amounts of bandages, tape, etc. to pilgrims who were crippled with blisters and had not brought anything to help manage them.
You can find any information you need by searching on this forum. If you become as obsessed as many of us do before our first camino, you will spend a lot of time here. Happy planning and buen camino.

FYI, bed bugs are resistant (or have a strong resistance) to pyrethrin’s and have been for some time; if it’s working for some on the Camino, it’s purely a placebo effect. Sorry :-(

Additionally, there is strong evidence that despite it breaking down relatively quickly, and once thought to have a low risk for long-term toxicity, that is actually not the case, and in fact, has been found to be toxic to the nervous system. Also. it is classified by the EPA as a possible carcinogen - means nothing these days. Does that mean it will be shelved – not likely! Too much money and too much in stock and it’s used in far too many 3rd world countries with good affect for its use. #I_NowHatePolitics! #AndThePoliticallyCorrectWorldOfScience. #ChangingJobsSoon_GoodByeUS

Hi Tyler, I am going to walk the Camino France from May 8th. This is my first time so I can't tell you much about it but just to say Enjoy Every Your Step! So will I :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back