• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September Starters

Hi Jane,
I see you are still listed on the Camino Calendar as starting in September. Does that mean you are now fit enough to walk at least part of your Camino this year?
Posting you a PM as well as this.
Our prayers for you and all starting to walk at this time
Tia Valeria

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hello September starters

well, after a discussion with my GP I've had to take the decision not to walk this year. I'm due to fly out a week tomorrow and then walk for 6 - 7 weeks however he feels that due to the nature and position of the break I shall still be in pain for the majority, if not all, of that period.

I had a rough few days whilst coming to terms with this but I now realise that the reason for the delay will become clear. I shall be following you all with my thoughts and positive vibes - good luck to you all

x x

Hi Jane,

good to hear from you.

I'm sorry that you can't go this year. There are a few of us who have had or are having problems. I hope that the delay will make the Camino sweeter. You and all others who face difficulties in the Pilgrimage are in prayers,

Andy

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi,
9 days left and then flying to Madrid. Start from Burgos on the 2 sept. I'm a little nervous, first timer and walking alone, but I know it will be ok.
Anyone starting from Burgos in sept.?
liz

Hello Jane
I am sorry to hear about your delay. I know it must be a tremendous disappointment, especially after delaying it once before.
But having had a broken toe before, I agree with your Doctor. I suffered from the pain when walking for several months. Such a little thing...a toe...but boy it takes so long to heal. Probably because when walking we keep bending those little joints and don't give them the proper time to mend.

My thoughts are with you and I hope that you will be able to make your pilgrimage in the future.

Hello!
Leaving New York September 8th and hope to start my camino from SJPDP on the 10th. I've gone over my packing list, kept it light, but still thinking that something is missing, I'm sure I'll find out once I get to Spain. I retired August 6th and now I'm pursuing something I have wanted to do since my undergraduate years, I'll catch up with my other dreams at a later date, for now, I am looking forward to meeting my fellow pilgrims, quiet prayerful times, and doing alot of listening. Thanks to so many of you, in reading your queries and information shared I have learned so much, because of you I am better prepared for this journey. To all of you, God speed and a successful Camino.

Saludos,
Tony in New York

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have found this board really useful. I have read many details :) :) of what to pack and came to the conclusion that I have come totally unprepared I left most of my walking stuff in UK and now too late to retrieve it - still friend post me my boots.
Well I hope to see some of you around - I have no plans how far I get - I have no expectations either.

Let's see :)

mrbillyto said:
Hello everyone,

Wow, sounds like there are going to be lots of people starting early September too. I am starting from SJPdP either 6 or 7 Sep, depending on the weather. I have my flights booked into Paris on 03Sep but I am going to take my time and get used to the new time zone. I have 6 weeks as well so I am not in a great rush.

Jane, regarding your boots...it is certainly an individual choice. I read through a lot of posts here and on other sites regarding footwear and the common thread was to get what you felt most comfortable in. I checked out several stores and couldn't find anything that fit me right. After about 5 stores, I tried on a pair of Keen Targhee Mid II and they fit like a glove. They are light but sturdy and waterproof. I wore them home from the store and have been walking in them now for over a month with no problems. Of course I also swapped out the insoles for a pair of Polysorb Backpacker insoles that are great and the hiker socks add to the comfort as well.

Good luck and hope to see you all there!
Bill
I got the same pair of Keens, wore them all day the day I bought them, and they are awesome!

I fly to Bilbao on Monday! After a few days at that beautiful city getting over jet lag and restarting Spanish, I bus to Pamplona and bus/taxi to Roncesvalles for a September 5 start. It seems like my first Camino in 2006 was many years ago - but only 3. In the last three years I traveled through South America in 2007, been around the world in China with 4 Desserts Gobi March, riding horses in Kyrgyzstan, visiting Russia and Europe in 2008. And this spring/summer I rode my bike across the US. So I guess I have been busy, but I have missed the Camino.

I wasn't sure if I would ever want to do it again when I finished the first time, but I am very excited! I have 6 weeks this time. I hope to take my time walking, last time I averaged 20 miles a day. This time I want to walk slower, see a lot of the areas we walk through and talk to a lot of people, hikers and locals.

I'm a girl (60), I am coming by myself, and I'll be wearing sandals with or without brightly stripped socks. So say "Hi!" and walk with me for a while if we meet up on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Brooke, I intend to start September 5 as well, but from SJPP. This is my first camino and I suppose I'll be walking quite slowly, then again, if you are even slower and stop to talk to a lot of people I might find you, I'll look out for your brightly stripped socks!
Buen camino and you do seem to lead a very exciting and interesting life!!
Pepa, (if it doesn't get too hot I'll be wearing a very bright turqoise t shirt)

Hi all and warm greetings from Ireland

My name is Ann and I will be starting out from SJPP on Sat 5th after a night at Esprit du Chemin. Travelling solo after Roncesvalle and whilst a little nervous, also excited in the final countdown waiting to step on the Camino Frances route. Wishing each of you a 'Buen Camino' and hopefully we will get a chance to share some of our experiences together.

Looking forward to the final preparations! and reading through the post its!
Ann

Wow! Many folks ahead of and behind me. I leave tomorrow and will depart from SJPP on 03 September. Buen Camino all. Look for the forum patch and say hello!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello to all,
I will be starting my Camino in Burgos on 11th September 2009, hoping to meet up with some of you on my travels. I will also be walking slowly. I have approx 3 weeks to walk to Santiago.

Buen Camino to you all.

Maria

thinking of all you September starters and wishing I could be with you. However, I can at least wear a pair of shoes now and have even walked around town without the aid of a crutch so I'm making steady, if slow, progress! Give St James a hug for me when you reach him

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wowowo this is great!!!

I think this time the Camino is also busy in September!! I will start on the 9th September from Sahagun or Leon ...

Hope to be able to meet you out there!!!

Buen Camino everyone!!

chax :arrow:

JaneB said:
thinking of all you September starters and wishing I could be with you. However, I can at least wear a pair of shoes now and have even walked around town without the aid of a crutch so I'm making steady, if slow, progress! Give St James a hug for me when you reach him

Hi Jane

Glad to hear you're slowly on the mend. :)
I'm sure you will be in the hearts of many of us as we walk in September.
I wonder what wonderful things are waiting for you when you are finally able to go ???????

Take care and heal well
chinacat

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back