• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes for the Salvador

Bexster

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, Jen, welcome to the forum! Hoping you will find this place to be a welcoming and supportive community. We get cranky and snarky every now and then, but I think in general we are a very well-intentioned bunch. Lots of people here have walked from Lisbon and the Litoral, so if you have questions or doubts, you’ll likely get more advice than you bargained for! Bom caminho, Laurie
Hi! I saw that you wrote about the San Salvador awhile back. I’ll be walking that stretch in June and then onto the Primitivo for the second time. My Altra trail runners did fine on the Primitivo, but I’m wondering if I’d be better off with my Oboz boots for the San Salvador? Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated, Becky

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi! I saw that you wrote about the San Salvador awhile back. I’ll be walking that stretch in June and then onto the Primitivo for the second time. My Altra trail runners did fine on the Primitivo, but I’m wondering if I’d be better off with my Oboz boots for the San Salvador? Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated, Becky
Hi. Just saw your post. Same as Peregrino 2000 I'd also suggest Trail runners, shoes. I wore my Assics gel for the Salvador in August and despite the heat no blisters and feet fine. No need for boots. Daniel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore Altra LP 6 mids, but it was October and a bit cooler. This time I will be going in Altra LP 7's without the raised ankle mid-height.
And as I recall, there were several people wearing other kinds of trail shoes and trail runners on the San Salvador when I was there.
This time I will take light-weight ankle gaiters for keepings stones (and mud when necessary) from flicking up into my shoes. Outdoor Research and Altra both make these gaiters designed for wearing with shoes.

Another weigh-in for Altra LPs here. Perfect for the Salvador (in summer, anyway). Low-tops, not the boots.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love that @trecile can be counted on to add this perspective (we always seem to have one moderator who walks the camino in sandals — I’m thinking of @Kanga and @Susannafromsweden). She is not telling you what to do, but I think her experience helps those who are wondering if big heavy boots are necessary, or whether lighter and more padded options will work.
That's right. I'm not saying that hiking sandals are the best for everyone, but the fact that they work for me, tells you a little bit about the terrain. Were there times on the Salvador that shoes might have been a better option than sandals? Possibly, but not enough for me to carry the extra weight.

I wore my Hoka Challengers on both the Salvador and Primitivo (after having worn them on the Madrid). I didn't find the footwear requirements very different between the two.

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back