• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Salvador, starting June 26th

Bernard000

Time of past OR future Camino
many!
Buen Camino pilgrims!
I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :)
I am posting my current itinerary, and am wondering if any fellow pilgrims have recommendations, advice or things to look out for. Should I anticipate issues with accomodations? I walk early in the morning and usually arrived at my destination around noon.

Day 1: Leon - La Robla (will stay in pilgrims hostel, it is open, yes?)
Day 2: La Robla - Poladura de la Tercia (pilgrims hostel, open? are there restaurants or groceries stores around?)
Day 3: Poladura - Pajares (pilgrims hostel)
Day 4: Parajes - Pola de Lena (don't know where to stay yet)
Day 5: Pole de Lena - Oviedo

Can anyone recommend places to stay? I don't mind staying in municipal or private albergues. Also, I heard that Pola de Gordon is the last grocery store for 50km.

Have a buen camino, dear pilgrims!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Bernard - there are quite a few options for how to stage the Salvador.

The one recommendation I would give is - if it's at all possible - rearrange your itinerary to stop at Benduenos. The albergue is very special as is the hospitalera Sandra. A little off the path, and up a hill - but worth every step. For many it's a highlight of the Salvador.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buen Camino pilgrims!
I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :)
I am posting my current itinerary, and am wondering if any fellow pilgrims have recommendations, advice or things to look out for. Should I anticipate issues with accomodations? I walk early in the morning and usually arrived at my destination around noon.

Day 2: La Robla - Poladura de la Tercia (pilgrims hostel, open? are there restaurants or groceries stores around?)

Can anyone recommend places to stay? I don't mind staying in municipal or private albergues. Also, I heard that Pola de Gordon is the last grocery store for 50km.

Your Salvador itinerary is what I did in 2019. I stayed in municipal albergues each night. For updated information on lodging check the Gronze website.

La Robla had restaurants and grocery stores. I did stock up with food to carry as there is limited support on days 2 and 3 on your itinerary. I emailed ahead to be sure I could eat in Poladura and Pajares. Poladura has one restaurant and Pajares has only one or two. Both advised making sure dinner would be available. Pole de Lena has lots of restaurants. Between Poladura and Pajares there is a nice restaurant for a late breakfast or lunch.

The Salvador traverses beautiful country and the views are breath taking. It is rugged in places, but so worth the effort. Don't miss the Santa Cristina de Lena church. Oviedo is a very nice town and a good rest day before starting the Primitivo.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Bernard - there are quite a few options for how to stage the Salvador.

The one recommendation I would give is - if it's at all possible - rearrange your itinerary to stop at Benduenos. The albergue is very special as is the hospitalera Sandra. A little off the path, and up a hill - but worth every step. For many it's a highlight of the Salvador.

I will do some research, thank you very much, it is appreciated!

Your Salvador itinerary is what I did in 2019. I stayed in municipal albergues each night. For updated information on lodging check the Gronze website.

La Robla had restaurants and grocery stores. I did stock up with food to carry as there is limited support on days 2 and 3 on your itinerary. I emailed ahead to be sure I could eat in Poladura and Pajares. Poladura has one restaurant and Pajares has only one or two. Both advised making sure dinner would be available. Pole de Lena has lots of restaurants. Between Poladura and Pajares there is a nice restaurant for a late breakfast or lunch.

The Salvador traverses beautiful country and the views are breath taking. It is rugged in places, but so worth the effort. Don't miss the Santa Cristina de Lena church. Oviedo is a very nice town and a good rest day before starting the Primitivo.

Buen Camino!
Sounds good to me. Thank you very much. I'll call a day or two before each stage to ensure I have a place to eat. Buen Camino!

Buen Camino pilgrims!

I also walked the San Salvador in late June - last year. You can see my account in this thread. As you'll see, I added a day so that I could stay in Bendueños (Pajares - Bendueños - El Rollu - Oviedo). I echo Pelerina's recommendation. Bendueños was really a highlight of the Camino and well worth the extra 1.5 km uphill at the end of the day to get there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also walked the San Salvador in late June - last year. You can see my account in this thread. As you'll see, I added a day so that I could stay in Bendueños (Pajares - Bendueños - El Rollu - Oviedo). I echo Pelerina's recommendation. Bendueños was really a highlight of the Camino and well worth the extra 1.5 km uphill at the end of the day to get there.
Wow, thanks so much for this thread! I'll try to read some of it without spoiling the experience, I'm sure it will be a godsend!

I might just make it a 6 day Camino, then ! My flight back isn't until August 7, anyways!

I'm doing El Salvador starting may 30. But I see most albergues only have capacity for 4-12 people, and not a lot of options to book somewhere else, is this capacity enough for the few pilgrims doing this camino? or should I definitely look for booking options ?

Buen Camino!
Hi @Steve900Hiker,

How much time notice did you have to give Poladura & Pajares for the meals provision? Will the day before reaching be too late? Reason I’m asking is right at this moment I still haven’t made my mind up on how many days I’ll be at Leon before setting off.
Are you able to pass their contacts over? Thanks in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm doing El Salvador starting may 30. But I see most albergues only have capacity for 4-12 people, and not a lot of options to book somewhere else, is this capacity enough for the few pilgrims doing this camino? or should I definitely look for booking options ?
I had no problems last June.

Hi @Steve900Hiker,

How much time notice did you have to give Poladura & Pajares for the meals provision? Will the day before reaching be too late? Reason I’m asking is right at this moment I still haven’t made my mind up on how many days I’ll be at Leon before setting off.
Are you able to pass their contacts over? Thanks in advance.
In my experience, the day before was all of the notice needed for meals on the Salvador.

Hi again to all pilgrims,
Here is my revised itinerary. I think the distances are correct. If anyone notices something off, please let me know.
Very excited for the summer!
Day 1: Leon - La Robla 28km (or a bit more)
Day 2: La Robla - Poladura de la Tercia 25 km
Day 3: Poladura - Pajares 14km (in David Tallan's thread, he says 19km?)
Day 4: Parajes - Benduenos (about 18-20km)
Day 5: Benduenos - Mieres del Camino (22km)
Day 6: Mieres del Camino - Oviedo (18km)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi again to all pilgrims,
Here is my revised itinerary. I think the distances are correct. If anyone notices something off, please let me know.
Very excited for the summer!
Day 1: Leon - La Robla 28km (or a bit more)
Day 2: La Robla - Poladura de la Tercia 25 km
Day 3: Poladura - Pajares 14km (in David Tallan's thread, he says 19km?)
Day 4: Parajes - Benduenos (about 18-20km)
Day 5: Benduenos - Mieres del Camino (22km)
Day 6: Mieres del Camino - Oviedo (18km)
The 19 km on Day 3 was what my tracking apps were telling me I walked. It could be that I did some detours as I tried to see a church that was closed and headed off for second breakfast, or that the route was detoured due to some construction that was going on (see other threads). Or it could be that the app that was tracking was inaccurate. Certainly, Gronze lists a lot shorter distance.

The 19 km on Day 3 was what my tracking apps were telling me I walked. It could be that I did some detours as I tried to see a church that was closed and headed off for second breakfast, or that the route was detoured due to some construction that was going on (see other threads). Or it could be that the app that was tracking was inaccurate. Certainly, Gronze lists a lot shorter distance.

Great, thanks for the heads up, and thanks for all the advice! I am getting the Camino butterflies already!

Most read last week in this forum

First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back