• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short camino recommendations?

Annieh

Hi,
I have a week off in September and plan to do a short section of the Camino just to get a taste of it. I was planning on flying to Biarritz and beginning at St Jean Pied and doing maybe the first five/six days before heading back to San Sebastian/Bilbao and flying home from Bilbao.
Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a short five/six day section though? Eg, would Logrono to Burgos or something like that be better?
I would rather do an earlier section of the camino as I've heard it's less busy and also it means if I like it I can come back and finish the trail another stage when I have more time.
All recommendations welcome, thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can probably make it to at least Estella, which has bus service to Bilbao, I think. It is very scenic, and more than a bit strenuous up the Pyrenees and up to the Alto del Perdon after Pamplona. Buen Camino.

AnnieH:

You could also walk from Sarria to Santiago. It is only 117km and far less rigorous than walking over the Pyrenees. You would also qualify for a certificate.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why the assumption that you must start from the east and go west? Why not start from the coast - either Muxia (good reasons to start from there: Google it) or Finisterre. Or walk from Muxia TO Finisterre and then on to Santiago. That'll get you the Compostela (if it's importrant) and maybe the Fisterra too! Begoña can (or could) be swayed! You can fly into A Coruña or just take a bus from Santiago. Simples!
In "the old days" pilgrims came from everywhere not just from the east. The Muxia - Compostela route not only makes sense, but it might even recapture some of those "old days" atmosphere. There are very few pilgrims on this route and those that are are bona fide pilgrims: pilgrims de verdad (about 3%) because they have gone that extra distance. (and the rest of you, before you get your undergarments in an advanced state of displacement, I DO realise that some have time restrictions! T).
(But) You sure ain't gonna get that from Sarria, Annie!
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

I love the Logrono to Burgos section but have you looked at the Camino Inglés - ferrol to SDC.

Long enough for a compostella and so quiet you might not see another pilgrim for days. I walked June 2009 and mer a total of 5.

falcon269 said:
You can probably make it to at least Estella, which has bus service to Bilbao, I think. It is very scenic, and more than a bit strenuous up the Pyrenees and up to the Alto del Perdon after Pamplona. Buen Camino.

I agree with Falcon here - It is a great section.

From Zubiri onwards there are a lot of private Pensions and Albergues to cope with the buzy time that you have chosen - don't let me put you off by telling you about the crowds.However , Sat here outside the Cafe Iruna in Pamplona, I count hundreds of pilgrims passing though each day.One can only imagine the crowds on the last 100KM walking to Santiago to obtain their Compostella.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that maybe one camino cant just be replaced by another camino. Walking the frances is a total different experience than the portuguese or the primitivo.

Worth considering...

Totally agree with Falcon and Renshaw. Aim for Estella - I think that took me 6 days but I split the SJPP to Roncesvalles section in two to ease my legs into the Camino. You could do that section in one if you're already fit. As well as being very scenic, this walk takes in one of the major cities along the way (Pamplona) and the classic Camino monument on Alto de Perdon. You'll also share the excitement and expectation of pilgrims as they leave SJPP. Perfect. Buen Camino!

I was in this same situation a few years ago - only a week of time and I tried very hard to figure out which section to do. Finally, I decided that it was sufficient time to do a "whole" camino - the Camino Ingles from Ferrol. I have since done it twice. It gave me the opportunity to complete a camino and qualify for a compostela and I enjoyed it very much. It was sedate, quiet and laid back with a lot of time for self contemplation.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for? :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For those who walk the Camino Inglés from Ferrol to SDC, I really urge you to then bus out to A Coruna and do that leg of the Camino. I know there is no Compostella at the end of it, but it is worth the time and effort.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
For those who walk the Camino Inglés from Ferrol to SDC, I really urge you to then bus out to A Coruna and do that leg of the Camino. I know there is no Compostella at the end of it, but it is worth the time and effort.

Can you expand?

Is it that the scenery is better from A Coruna, or what are the differences between the two legs?

Am I right in thinking you mean do A Corun instead of Ferrol - or do you mean to do both?

rupertb said:
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:

Can you expand?

Is it that the scenery is better from A Coruna, or what are the differences between the two legs?

Am I right in thinking you mean do A Corun instead of Ferrol - or do you mean to do both?
Hi Rupertb

I think Methodistpilgrim was suggesting walking from Ferrol to Santiago, which is long enough to merit a Compostela. It takes about 5 days. You could then get the train back to A Coruna and walk the althernative leg to where it joins the route you'd already walked at Bruma (that's only 1 day, I think).

That way you would have walked all of the Camino Ingles. I'm afraid I've only walked from Ferrol to Santiago, so I can't vouch for the A Coruna-Bruma leg, although I'd trust Methodist's advice.

Edit. Just to clarify. Ferrol -Santiago on its own is over 100kms and enough for a Compostela. A Coruna-Santiago on its own is not.

Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back