• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I stay or should I go

Sven Kaven

writer, photographer and mindfulness teacher
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi lovely community,

Should I stay or should I go, is, what I ask myself right now? After a breakup and some strong pull going the Camino for perhaps two weeks from Saint Jean to perhaps Burgos, I look to Spain 🇪🇸 and see that the Corona Situation is getting fragil again. To be honest Covid never stopped me the last few years to walk just this time, I ask myself the former question.

I have searched the Forum but could not find any infos about closed Albergues and usually I would take my chances.

Well here is the plan. Starting perhaps the 31.12.2021 from Saint Jean Pied de Port, Walking into the new year. Perhaps some of you, already on the way may be able to give some insides, concerning the situation in Navarra and Rioja.

Thanks so much dear friend.
Sven

Ultreia ❤️🤶

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Happy Christmas from the cradle of mindfulness, @Sven Kaven!
I know nothing about current conditions as regards Covid or accommodation, but have walked the Frances at the tail-end of winter and have to say it was glorious. Until the middle of March a lot of places were closed. For example, between Zubiri and Pamplona there was no place open to eat.
Here is the list of open albergues.

@mspath has not walked for a few years, but has done lots of winter Caminos (11?). She would undoubtedly have some wise words in general about winter on the Camnino Frances.

Last edited:
I have walked from Pamplona in February. We found almost nothing open between the major towns. Given that Omicron is on the rise and will likely not peak in Spain when you want to walk, you may find services quite limited. So if you want to go then, be prepared for long days walking without much infrastructure to support you in between.

And as far as the winterlist posted goes, call ahead! Do not go to your next destination without a reservation. Based upon my own experience, If weather suddenly changes, especially with current Covid conditions, and they do not know you are coming, some of these places on the list may simply close.

You are asking, so I would answer you, if you can wait, do! I do not know when Spain in likely to peak from Omicron, but I believe it would be easier to find accommodations, open bars, and other food service when this current highly contagious wave is on the decline.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spain figures are awful at the moment, particularly in Navarra above all places. I have the feelings new restrictions might be imposed right after Christmas, but that is only a guess. This is today. Next week, who knows...

I am asking myself the same question! My plan was to start in Pamplona on the 28th...in just a few days, but just for 1 week of walking. I've called ahead to Albergues on the winter list and reserved a bed. Also a few nights booked in private rooms in pensiones/small hotels to avoid mixing much.

I live in Spain so will wait until Monday to make a decision...I'm very fortunate that I don't have to book travel to/from the Camino.

Here in Bilbao the numbers are high but life seems to be going on as normal in the community. Masks are mandatory outside again, but we had that for a year or so, so nobody seems too fussed about it. For me, I just don't want to be part of the growing problem here.

If I do head out on the Camino, I'll post updates here!

You did not mention what country you are coming from…. My other concern would be travel restrictions. Right now, the US (where I’m from) is only “advising against” travel to Spain, but if I were going now, I would be concerned about that changing to an outright ban.
Sorry about your breakup. We’ve all been there!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sven,

I started walking on 4 Jan of 2020 and had an amazing, if interesting time. The weather was quite bearable and the scenery was just amazing.

As stated previously, you will def want to book ahead for your lodging. Also, I found it necessary to always have food with me as many places along your daily route are closed for winter, I suspect even worse due to Covid.

One thing I never have seen mentioned for walking in the off season is the lack of early pilgrim's meals. I was spoiled by those meals when I did my summer and then spring walks. Kinda of a pain, be prepared for some late evening dinners or eating in your room.

I am in the same boat(plane) you are this year. I will be arriving in SJPdP with 2 friends to start walking on the 4th of 2022. Should be interesting.

Cheers!

M

ps... we are all tripple vaxxed, one has natural immunity and we only stay in private lodgings so not too worried.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am not going. Am too much through the wind right now. I have been on the Winterwalk on the Camino before 2020 and it was a blissful experience.

Just settling first perhaps, before getting even more lost on the way.

Thanks and have a merry Christmas.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi lovely community,

Should I stay or should I go, is, what I ask myself right now? After a breakup and some strong pull going the Camino for perhaps two weeks from Saint Jean to perhaps Burgos, I look to Spain 🇪🇸 and see that the Corona Situation is getting fragil again. To be honest Covid never stopped me the last few years to walk just this time, I ask myself the former question.

I have searched the Forum but could not find any infos about closed Albergues and usually I would take my chances.

Well here is the plan. Starting perhaps the 31.12.2021 from Saint Jean Pied de Port, Walking into the new year. Perhaps some of you, already on the way may be able to give some insides, concerning the situation in Navarra and Rioja.

Thanks so much dear friend.
Sven

Ultreia ❤️🤶
Two years ago, I was all set for my first Camino, then Covid stopped that from happening. Last May, I was informed Spain was opening up and within 3 weeks I was in Spain walking the Del Norte. We had a great time and had a few problems walking do to lack of beds but made it through 6 weeks and finished the Del Norte.

About three weeks ago I was a day away from going to Israel when they closed their borders. I'm not sure if I'm getting my money back yet. I'd not trust the Camino to work out currently.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back