• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much cash should i bring on my Camino?

santhi

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Guys. This question is related to Camino Frances. I will be walking the full distance next spring. How much cash do I bring along on my camino? I will be bringing along my credit card but have heard so many pilgrims say that the hostels only accept cash. It doesn't make sense to bring along too much cash too due to safety reasons. I intend to take my time on the pilgrimage. I intend to complete it in 40 days. Please advice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Guys. This question is related to Camino Frances. I will be walking the full distance next spring. How much cash do I bring along on my camino? I will be bringing along my credit card but have heard so many pilgrims say that the hostels only accept cash. It doesn't make sense to bring along too much cash too due to safety reasons. I intend to take my time on the pilgrimage. I intend to complete it in 40 days. Please advice.
This is hilarious, I was literally just thinking that somebody would soon be along with this question! And no I am not mocking you it's a very fair question.
There are many, many threads on this topic. The short answer is around 300 euros to get you started, and consider getting a debit card rather than using your credit card. As you are from Canada I would recommend the Wise card, which many of us here on the forum use.
I'll try and find one or two of those other threads and link them for you shortly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Lots of threads.
Like this one.

Excellent tip from Trecile re: card security here too:

There really are answers to just about everything ( Camino related) you want here on the forum and few questions have not previously been asked.

Researching for yourself is not overly hard, simply tap on the magnifying glass symbol on the top right hand corner of your page, tap on advanced search, and enter a few simple words relating to your search. You can limit it still further by ticking one or other of the boxes that you will see underneath. Enjoy!

OK...lots of threads and lots of various opinions
my take - no need to bring tons of cash - if you have means to get cash out of ATMs without incurring bunch of fees then you got it made! Thus you walk and hit an ATM for say 200E in a given large town when you see your cash is getting depleted. Some of us opened Charles Schwab checking account solely for that purpose and they reimburse you all ATM fees.
I spent probably 99% of my Camino Frances paying by CC. Yes there are still albergues and bars that operate cash only but a simple "Tarjeta, si?" question when ready to pay your bill will settle that. If yes - feel free to pay by CC if you so desire; in No - then fork out the cash.

I know that there are opinions out there that "the merchants get hit with some processing fees if we pay by CC". I do not doubt that but at the same - it is (with all respect due to anyone involved) the cost of doing business - same, I'm sure - as in any other country. As demonstrated on some places - if one does not want to take CCs they dont. That eliminates any choices.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
my take - no need to bring tons of cash - if you have means to get cash out of ATMs without incurring bunch of fees then you got it made! Thus you walk and hit an ATM for say 200E in a given large town when you see your cash is getting depleted. Some of us opened Charles Schwab checking account solely for that purpose and they reimburse you all ATM fees.
I spent probably 99% of my Camino Frances paying by CC. Yes there are still albergues and bars that operate cash only but a simple "Tarjeta, si?" question when ready to pay your bill will settle that. If yes - feel free to pay by CC if you so desire; in No - then fork out the cash.

I know that there are opinions out there that "the merchants get hit with some processing fees if we pay by CC". I do not doubt that but at the same - it is (with all respect due to anyone involved) the cost of doing business - same, I'm sure - as in any other country. As demonstrated on some places - if one does not want to take CCs they dont. That eliminates any choices.

In your experience, are prepaid credit cards equally as accepted as "actual" credit cards? More specifically, if I ask "Tarjeta, si?" and get a "Si," will the machine throw a tantrum if it's actually a prepaid credit card?

@rainswift - Tarjeta, si? would imply whether or not the establishment takes a credit card... I would think there is no difference in "prepaid credit card".... but to be fair I dont rightly know. I very rarely deal with prepaid CCs - I always use one of my actual CCs (and getting some points back never hurts)

@rainswift - Tarjeta, si? would imply whether or not the establishment takes a credit card... I would think there is no difference in "prepaid credit card".... but to be fair I dont rightly know. I very rarely deal with prepaid CCs - I always use one of my actual CCs (and getting some points back never hurts)
Thanks. There's a travel prepaid credit card for Canadians that lets me convert the funds on the card to Euros and therefore pay in Euros, that's why I ask.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
In your experience, are prepaid credit cards equally as accepted as "actual" credit cards? More specifically, if I ask "Tarjeta, si?" and get a "Si," will the machine throw a tantrum if it's actually a prepaid credit card?
The chip in the card provides access to the international exchange markets. It will be recognized and read and processed in exactly the same way as any other bit of plastic with a chip in its shoulder.

The advantage over cash is that you don’t end up with pocketfuls of shrapnel. The disadvantage is that “they” will know exactly where you are and what you’re spending your money on….

My bank manager still thinks I’m teetotal 😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Excellent tip from Trecile re: card security here too
My other tip is to use ATMs that have the "tap" feature. Instead of inserting your card and risk it being "eaten" by the machine you just tap it on the symbol before entering your PIN number. The card never leaves your hand. I was able to find this type of ATM everywhere along the Camino del Norte and Primitivo last year.

5b3f95bb39a2871b008b4997.jpg

@rainswift - Not sure what your situation is (dont think being from Canada vs US makes any difference). I always use my CC in any International destination (actually incl. Canada - where I spent a quite nice week at Blue mountain resort next to the Georgian Bay last August). As @Tincatinker said - just make sure you charge in local currency and you'll get the best exchange rate possible. Any time i remotely tried to either exchange money or (one time it had to do with my niece travelling) create a prepaid CC - there are always extra fees.
So, my thought is (as stated previously) - get a Debit Card that will allow you to withdraw cash from ATM with no fees for cash options and just use your regular CC provided that that bank does not charge you any foreign transaction fees.
Good luck

Agree with all of the above. I don't use a prepaid card, but my debit card. If you go that route, then let your bank know in advance that you will be using out of the country. I give them the dates I expect to travel and that (so far) has prevented them from locking my account due to mysterious charges.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are staying in the hostels along the way you will need about 5€ or 10€ euros per hostal night, let's average it out to 15€ (which is high). So, have a look at the route, estimate how many hostels you intend to use and do the math....if you wish to stay in a nice comfortable snore-free hotel room your credit will take care of that. The other option is to take no cash at all. When you need a refill just visit a friendly local ATM...

Thanks. There's a travel prepaid credit card for Canadians that lets me convert the funds on the card to Euros and therefore pay in Euros, that's why I ask.
You’ll have zero problems, the machines don’t differentiate. A prepaid card works exactly the same as a credit card except that the available funds are limited to what is actually on the card at the time.

That’s exactly what the Wise card that I suggested above does and is. I use the Wise card, because I can load whatever currency on it that I require ( it's currently loaded with Norwegian Krone, Sterling and euro.The card automatically draws from the currency balance in the country concerned, so Sterling in England or Euro in Europe)..
I limit the funds on it for additional security ( max €500). I can transfer additional funds almost instantly using the app, lock or unlock the card at will, use it to withdraw cash at an ATM, but also in place of a credit card online.
In addition to this I can track not only how much I've got left but everything I spend because it all shows on the app. And yes it's also 'tap and go'.

I transfer the funds to it from my credit card, which I'm carrying for this purpose and as a backup. ( Obviously I keep it separately). The fund transfer is recognized by the credit card company as a purchase, so I also get my points.

In addition to which the Wise card invariably has one of the best exchange rates available. There is no additional transfer fee, and ZERO fees for purchases.

The only potential limitation is that only the first two cash withdrawals in a month are free, I think to a total of 600 euros. But when you consider that in Spain on the Primitivo I spent €200 in two weeks, including paying my share for 4 dinners in cash so that others could pay by card, that is more than sufficient.

There is a small one off purchase cost, I think it was €9.

If your prepaid travel card does all of that then go for it!

Edited to add: it also pays interest on the money that you hold on the card. Considering that I never have much I don't get much but it's still better than nothing!

Last edited:
If you are staying in the hostels along the way you will need about 5€ or 10€ euros per hostal night, let's average it out to 15€ (which is high). So, have a look at the route, estimate how many hostels you intend to use and do the math....if you wish to stay in a nice comfortable snore-free hotel room your credit will take care of that. The other option is to take no cash at all. When you need a refill just visit a friendly local ATM...
Caomhin, when did you last walk? The minimum fee for an Albergue now is 10 Euros. The Xuntas put their prices up last year. €15 is more the norm and it can easily hit €20 in the private Albergues.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are staying in the hostels along the way you will need about 5€ or 10€ euros per hostal night, let's average it out to 15€ (which is high).
I agree with @Peterexpatkiwi above. 15 Euros is no longer high for an albergue bed, and I don't know of any place that is still as low as 5 Euros.

On Gronze's Sanabres section of the VdlP, my spreadsheet is showing one muni at €5, one at €6, and four at €10. Possibly prices are not all totally up to date and we have mostly booked private lodging so not sure if there are more under €10 on a daily basis.

When I started drinking a pint of cider was 10d (and most of those pennies had Victoria on the face) a pint of best bitter was 1s 8d. I was charmed by the smiling bar person who relieved me of 6 of your actual English pounds in exchange for a pint of second best bitter, in an ale house I used to frequent, last Wednesday evening. I was both reminded that one should never look back, and that the price of anything is what someone is prepared to pay. Students of irony should have regard to the average sum that dear Vincent, Edvard or even Jackson received for their efforts and the current prices of their efforts on the worldly widely webly

€15 strikes me as an absolute bargain for a dry bed and warm running water for the night… I can’t manage that cost threshold in my own house 🤪

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used the Charles Schwab card for the first time last November. I liked it, but one thing to be aware of is that a transfer from your regular bank to the Schwab card takes 4-5 business days to clear. Don’t know why it’s that way in this digital age, but I guess they make money on the float.

Don't bring US cash. Just go to an ATM and get some euros. Recently I drew out about 300 euros per day to pay for lodging and meals for 11 people so that much will last one person quite a few days. Just pay attention to when the ATM's are available as you get in to smaller villages.

I get $300 USD in euros from the bank before departure. I try to use cash on the Camino because I heard the small town bars/cafes appreciate it because sometimes there are fees on their ends for credit card purchases. Once I’m down to 100 euro, I take out another 100. On my last Camino this left me with too much cash in my wallet, so personally for my next Camino I will aim to always have just 100 euro in my wallet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the Francès you can very frequently pay by card, and as general advice (for those places where you can't) the minimum safety net is often cited as €50 from one ATM to the next, so between €50 and €100 should be enough to carry on you if you're getting cash out of ATMs along the way ? Though that depends on how much cash you spend in bars and bakeries and restaurants and so on.

The other contributing factor is withdrawal charges from ATMs in Spain, so that to minimise these charges, a few people do want to make one withdrawal only at their start, and those who do this generally quote about €300. Which sounds about right for 4-6 weeks.

It's a little or a lot more complicated on other routes.

Always carry a backup debit card. Last October on the CF one card didn't work. I rang Australia to find they had cancelled the card despite me ringing them two days before I left. The lesson i learnt was to phone the card company and tell them the card number you are taking as well as tell them where you are going. I used another card with international transaction fees however was grateful that it worked after trying five ATM's. They don't all work.I only used it twice. A lovely, Irish woman gave me 20 euros in cash and thankfully I managed to give it back to her when I caught up two days later. The most I paid for an albergue was 17 euros in Pamplona. I used my CC mostly but used cash at donativo, municipal and some religious albergues. Some bars and shopping stalls only took cash. 300 euros is perfect amount.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You have a lot of sound advice already. In your shoes - well worn in - I would keep a safety stash of about €300.00 and then, long before leaving your own place, using your own local, if such still exist, bank clerks, ask them to help you manoeuvre the intricacies of the panorama! Otherwise, the key advice from posts above is use euro denomination when trying to get the machine in situ to spit out the money for you. Good luck.
ps: I would actually have more than 300, but don't go by me 😁

I usually keep a few hundred on hand and top up when it starts to get low. There aren't banks in every village, but there are enough that if there isn't one today, there is probably one tomorrow.

As folks have said you don’t need too much. The growth in contactless and card acceptance in Spain has been very substantial in the last few years. Even the smallest of cafes seem to largely accept card. I hardly used cash at all during a recent three month stay. As stated some have minimum spend but even that has been declining. With banks being keen to get even the smallest of suppliers on their roster, they have been offering good rates that tends of outweigh the costs of trying to run a cash based business!

I hate using cash but have been in a place for the last month which is totally cash only. Haven’t used card once. It’s a right pain!! Make life easy where you can!!

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

I agree with one caveat: don’t use a credit card at an ATM to get Euros. It’ll be treated like a Cash Advance and hit you with crazy fees. I got a Debit Card from Charles Schwab and love it. No Foreign Transaction fees and they reimburse you for any ATM fees you might get charged. I hear Fidelity does the same. Here’s my caveat: even though credit cards are more widely accepted now and convenient, I plan to pay in cash for everything if I can. I’ll still bring a couple credit cards just in case, but I’ve discovered that if you pay a merchant with a card, you’ll get a bad exchange rate because the merchant will want to cover their processing fees (and then some). If you pay with cash, you don’t need to worry about exchange rates and the merchant benefits as well. “cash is king” as they say.

I hear Fidelity does the same.
I've heard that too, and looked it up. It seems that the do refund ATM fees but.

"Please note, for foreign transactions, there may be a 1% fee included in the amount charged to your account."

And I don't know if there are fees to open or keep the account. There are no fees or minimum balance for the Schwab account.

@montyhiker - yes as I (and some of us) stated - we opened a Charles Schwab checking account (thus you get a DEBIT card by default) for that purpose.

That said - i have NEVER had a 'bad exchange rate' at the merchant. if anything you make SURE the charge is in local currency (i.e. you DO NOT let them to do conversion- that's like Paying by CC 101). So if the charge (say for albergue) was 15E then the charge on CC is 15E. It is the bank that will do the conversion and most likely then not, you will get a better exchange. Another MAKE SURE is to ask for receipt (most European places don't hand it to you automatically as they do in US). This way you can immediately verify the amount charged.

Technically you still "worry" about the exchange rate because as long as you withdraw your (say) USD funds from an ATM that dispenses Euros - there will be an exchange rate. Short of doing what some folks do (get a prepaid card that you actually load in Euros and use that) I fail to see how exchange rate is avoided and again even then - conversion will apply.

In summary -
those of us who prefer to pay by CC - can absolutely do that without any 'fear' (seems that the Camino - at least Frances - of yesteryear where you could ONLY pay by cash is gone).
those who wish to pay by cash only can absolutely do that and make a choice of various options to have said cash on hand (bring it all with, hit ATMs as one walks, etc.)

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, agreed that cards are more readily accepted now, however, in some albergues you will still need cash. The Xunta albergues and the HosVol staffed donativo albergues do not take cards nor have the technology infrastructure to take cards. The movement toward convenience and comfort on the Camino has had an impact as vendors adopt bag transport arrangements, reservation systems, private rooms, etc. and many do accept electronic payments with a card. There is still a parallel universe of Camino places though where cash is needed. In my opinion you are limiting your options and your experiences by relying only on electronic payment.

Lest some think me a relic, I do have a Schwab debit card now as a result of my travel with my university students and it was declined when I tried to buy train tickets through Trainline in late December. I had to resort to a credit card. The Schwab card was accepted when I bought tickets on Monbus later the same day though so interesting. My practice is to have some kind of back up plan of a second card and some cash. I have had my card hacked and then shut off by the bank when traveling (more than once) and was glad for some cash in my pocket each time when that happened.

Another MAKE SURE is to ask for receipt (most European places don't hand it to you automatically as they do in US). This way you can immediately verify the amount charged.
I have all my CC and bank accounts set up to send me notifications when I make purchases or withdrawals in a foreign country, so I often receive a notification almost immediately when the transaction occurs.

I am then able to compare what the amount that I actually paid in US$ vs the amount that it would be if I had chosen the "pay in US$." My bank's conversion is always better.

I speak from a UK standpoint and it is always worth having a play round with your banking app to see what you can do. My main card Monzo offers up the following…

Instant transactions details - so if I take €300 from an ATM I get instantly the Euro and £ value… and remaining balance. Online such as booking a hotel ahead it will often ask me to go into the app to approve.

Freeze the card - so after the transaction I always ‘freeze’ the card so if cloned it can’t be used. Of course next morning when I buy a coffee I have forgotten to unfreeze it but hey ho!

Vary the limit of a contactless payment - so on a Camino I will do lots of small transactions so set a limit of £20 or so.

State how often you want to be asked for the PIN. So I normally ask the bank to ask me for a pin about £100 worth of transactions.

I get no ATM fees from Monzo for EU withdrawals and nothing for contactless globally. I pay 2.99% for non EU withdrawals on a rolling 30 days basis. This varies by customer. There are some better but I am reasonably happy. Those fees are separate to what the ATM charge. Spanish are high compared to many other European countries for UK cardholders. It’s easy to find no fee ATMs in Germany and Italy but tougher in Spain.

My ATM weakness is when I visit a country where the cash come out before the card. Not sure how many there are. Mainly in the eastern half of the world. I nearly always leave the card in the machine. I am so used to walking away from a ATM whilst putting the cash in my wallet. Done it twice this month already! Shows how robotic behaviour can be! So if you are coming from certain countries remember the card comes out before cash in Spain! Don’t walk away without your cash though the machine will ‘suck it in’ quickly!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am so used to walking away from a ATM whilst putting the cash in my wallet. Done it twice this month already!

Be aware there is an ATM scam where glue is squirted into the card slot. A "helpful" person will then show you how to use the tap function of your card for access. Once you get your cash, the "helpful" person will distract you from the "Do you want another transaction?" question on the screen. Once you leave, then person makes a second transaction on your account to withdrawal as much cash as possible.

-Paul

I believe the term now-a-days is "bad actors" ... although one has to admit that they are PRETTY DARN GOOD actors!!!!! :mad:

Be aware there is an ATM scam where glue is squirted into the card slot. A "helpful" person will then show you how to use the tap function of your card for access. Once you get your cash, the "helpful" person will distract you from the "Do you want another transaction?" question on the screen. Once you leave, then person makes a second transaction on your account to withdrawal as much cash as possible.

-Paul
Indeed, one of many tricks. Always beware the person on hand to help! I always freeze my card the exact second the money emerges from the ATM!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back