• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

signage along the route

Godwin Cutajar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
I plan to do the camino Frances starting from SJPP. I know I might sound silly but is it possible to lose your way along the camino? Another worry is that due to work constraints I plan to do the walk in 16 days or walking approx 50km per day. Is this crazy? My fitness is quite good because I train regularly to run marathons. i know I have to train differently for this walk. Any suggestions please?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Have you run a marathon every day for two weeks? And then done a 10km cool-down walk at the end of each? If so, you'll be fine!
Assuming you are looking at the Camino Frances, it is very difficult to get lost, although I imagine tiredness and speed might contribute to you missing the odd marker and needing to add a few kilometres to your day's total.

12 hours at 4+km/h for the whole period?.

It's not just the physical. It's the mental. If you can handle being on a long distance march then it's doable. But without somebody yelling at you to keep up I think most people would want a break sooner or later.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
50 Km per day for 16 days; is this crazy? Yes!
Could possibly be done but what's the point, you'd have a horrible time and miss the whole point of a Camino pilgrimage. If all you want is a "tick" on a "been there, done that" list go ahead but for an experience do some now and the rest later.

For me, it's better to talk about duration to run per day instead of distance per day. 6 ou 7 hours walking or running it is enough to keep little a time to eat, drink, wash, sleeping and meeting others pilgrims. So if your speed average per hour is 7 km you can do 50 Km per day for 16 days. No, you are not crazy. Have good fun on the way.

http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/?cat=407419

letendre said:
For me, it's better to talk about duration to run per day instead of distance per day. 6 ou 7 hours walking or running it is enough to keep little a time to eat, drink, wash, sleeping and meeting others pilgrims. So if your speed average per hour is 7 km you can do 50 Km per day for 16 days. No, you are not crazy. Have good fun on the way.

letendre said:

Thanks for the encouragement. My biggest worry is if there are adequate signs to follow the route correctly. Since it seems that we are going to be relatively walking faster than the other pilgrims on the way, we might finish having to find our way without any help from others. So can anyone put my mind at rest and assure if following the signs will get you along, or one might need a GPS.

Godwin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Godwin Cutajar said:
Thanks for the encouragement. My biggest worry is if there are adequate signs to follow the route correctly. Since it seems that we are going to be relatively walking faster than the other pilgrims on the way, we might finish having to find our way without any help from others. So can anyone put my mind at rest and assure if following the signs will get you along, or one might need a GPS.
It is impossible to lose the way, because the signs are very visible. In France, signs are white and red, in Spain these are big yellow arrows.

In Spain, the only problem is that the arrows are visible only in the sense of going to Santiago. So if we lose we must be careful to find the yellow arrows and return often.

The second reason that prevents losing the way, what are the signs that pilgrims leave on the ground in the countryside.

The third reason is the large number of pilgrims who walk to necks and you can follow at a distance.

One last tip is to identify the out of town and village where you will sleep before going to bed at night to go quiet in the morning.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
letendre said:
It is impossible to lose the way, because the signs are very visible.

I am going to respectfully disagree with this statement, at least the absolute version of it. I recently watched about 30 people coming back from losing their way, because the person at the front of the line missed a trail marker.

If you are running, you will just have to be extra vigilant in looking for the trail markers. But I don't think a GPS is necessary at all; in fact, it might be a hindrance more than a help.

Dear All,
I joined this forum only a fcew days ago, and I really am amazed at the interest so many persons show towards the difficulties of someone who is embarking on such a feat. I wish to thank everyone who took the time to answer to my queries. I shall cherish all the advise I am receiving.

Regards
Godwin

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back