• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Siguenza to Atienza

Time of past OR future Camino
Aragon/CF 08, Arles 10, Le Puy 12, Geneva 14, VdlP 15, Norte/Primitivo 15, VF 17, Levante 18, Moz 19
I will be restarting the Ruta de la Lana soon, starting from Siguenza, with its convenient railroad connection with Madrid. The first stage to Atienza is 32 km. For a first day, and not knowing how my back/leg will hold up (which is what stopped me last December on this route), I would like to make this 2 stages. There are 4 villages between Siguenza and Atienza: Palazuelos at 6 km, La Olmeda de Jadraque 6.6 km further on, Santamera 4 km further on, and Riofrio del Llano 6.2 km further on. Then Atienza is another 9.6 km beyond Riofrio del Llano. Populations of these 4 villages are listed as 51, 12, 4, and 46. Has anyone slept in Santamera or Riofrio del Llano? Supposedly they have bars, so an easy place to ask for a room, or floor, but I am curious as to whether anyone on this forum as broken this stage in half.
I've already walked this stage to the beautiful tiny walled village of Palazuelos and then walked the highway on to Atienza. This time I want to walk the path, not the highway. I know I could taxicab it to Palazuelos and cut off 6km, but that isn't my usual solution.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Populations of these 4 villages are listed as 51, 12, 4, and 46. Has anyone slept in Santamera or Riofrio del Llano? Supposedly they have bars, so an easy place to ask for a room, or floor, but I am curious as to whether anyone on this forum as broken this stage in half

These villages look so small (except for Palazuelos, but population is small) so it would surprise me if it would be possible to stay there. I would certainly be interested to hear if you find something!

I was kicking around this neighborhood on Friday, spectacular places, fascinating historical architecture of salt pans, twee medieval villages, and austere mountainsides. Scattered all around the area are places to stay, sadly most of them are upmarket bed and breakfast inns or "casas rurales" that are only open in high season. The only places I recall having decent/affordable accommodation options are Imon and Carabias, which are in that area not on your list, alas!
This might require a good sit-down with the director of the tourist office or even the parish priest in Siguenza. Often, with the right handling, they can make the calls and track down a place for you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.