• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silver Falls Trail Angel

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Of course, I have been rather quiet as of late. I thought I would pop back in and give all of you good pilgrim friends an update.

I am teaching full-time this term, as a gentleman at the local high school needed to leave fast. Perfect time to gather money for my next journey, in September!

Part of my training routine for when I did my first Camino in October of 2015 was to hike the jewel of the Oregon Parks system, Silver Falls. I became such a regular fixture that I now work there--on the weekends--as a trail ambassador.

I wear a khaki Oregon State Parks outfit, with a cool vest, hat, etc. I hike, give out directions, and carry a radio. I basically am living the dream!

Last weekend, I was hiking down a steep decline, Maple Ridge Trail. An attractive lady, just a bit older than me, was hiking up the formidable and steep incline, and we paused to chat.

She said that it was a miracle that she was hiking, and that the previous year, she had nearly died. Her story was nothing short of incredible. Then, she looked at me. A pause.

"Have you heard of the...Camino de Santiago?", she asked.

I could have fallen over backwards. "Yes.....as a matter of fact, I have".

She is going later this year, as a celebration of life. I told her about this forum, and I hope she comes on. Her name is...well, it will be hers to share, but let me just say that it sounds like "Angel".

She was my trail angel last weekend, and I was hers.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Beautiful. Thanks for the update, Deb--you have been missed.
[Edit...Pretty please, can we see a photo of you in action...in that cool outfit?]

I will attach a photo later today. Honestly, I hang my ranger outfit up in my master bathroom where I can see it every day! It cheers me up so immensely, and makes me smile every morning.

Getting my special job at Silver Falls State Park is a dream come true. It is a volunteer position, but if I wanted, I think I could become more quite easily (seasonal work). I am very happy doing it, and love the rangers and the hikers. Everyone is noticing the wildflowers, the state of the trail, the wisp of the clouds, the giant tree that falls and becomes stuck precariously someplace; the conversations are of an outside nature, and so close to the earth and trail.

Of course, hikers everywhere commit the same crimes: garbage, paper, smoking on the trail, loudness. The idea is to educate and walk on.

On a different topic, many of you know that my initial Camino walk was a God Walk to deal with loss--loved ones who were very close. Now, I have the other newer losses--a close friend, an ex husband who was even closer. I am finding myself in a better position now to observe my grief, acknowledge it, and continue walking (daily walk through life, walk on the trail). I am not as mired down in the business of grief. This is good.

I will be back more frequently. After all, I have a Camino to plan! Porto, perhaps? We shall see!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Of course, I have been rather quiet as of late. I thought I would pop back in and give all of you good pilgrim friends an update.

I am teaching full-time this term, as a gentleman at the local high school needed to leave fast. Perfect time to gather money for my next journey, in September!

Part of my training routine for when I did my first Camino in October of 2015 was to hike the jewel of the Oregon Parks system, Silver Falls. I became such a regular fixture that I now work there--on the weekends--as a trail ambassador.

I wear a khaki Oregon State Parks outfit, with a cool vest, hat, etc. I hike, give out directions, and carry a radio. I basically am living the dream!

Last weekend, I was hiking down a steep decline, Maple Ridge Trail. An attractive lady, just a bit older than me, was hiking up the formidable and steep incline, and we paused to chat.

She said that it was a miracle that she was hiking, and that the previous year, she had nearly died. Her story was nothing short of incredible. Then, she looked at me. A pause.

"Have you heard of the...Camino de Santiago?", she asked.

I could have fallen over backwards. "Yes.....as a matter of fact, I have".

She is going later this year, as a celebration of life. I told her about this forum, and I hope she comes on. Her name is...well, it will be hers to share, but let me just say that it sounds like "Angel".

She was my trail angel last weekend, and I was hers.

Buen Camino!
Hi CD, it's great to have you back on the forum. I'm saving my pennies and will walk next spring in Italy, my Camino last year really blew the hell out of the budget. My motive for walking was similar to yours but now less will power is necessary and things have levelled off quite a lot. I walk almost every day and will get out and shoot more pics on some longer walks. I'm planning a bit of a push re selling photography and some other projects which have been on the back burner for years. You're an inspiration, please keep us updated.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.