• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sim card or international phone card?

frbobs

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Madrid Aug. 2019
Camino Sanabres Sept. 2023
I'm walking the Camino de Madrid, and want to use the cheap pay-as-you-go phone I bought in Portugal (thought it was international, but was never able to reach the u.s. with it). It looks like the easiest solution, would be to buy a spanish phone card (I could get one online and set it up before I go). It's a dual SIM as well, I suppose I could buy an international SIM card. I don't use a lot of tech, but I'm usually not an idiot when it comes to figuring it out. Some of my confusion might come from language barriers (I, shamefully, only speak English and a little spanish). The phone is a ETC B200 any advice would be appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you phone is unlocked I would recommend getting a Spanish Sim Card. I use Orange. The plan I use is 20 Euros for 1 month. If you are going to be there longer you need to get it recharged no matter how much data or minutes you have left I get 80 minutes of calls within Spain and 10 Gigs of Internet. I use the internet alot more. The 80 minutes is more than enough as I rarely ever book ahead. But the internet is great especially when I am in out of the way places and I can call home at night on Whatsapp. Also we have an internet phone at home and my wife can call me at the Spanish number I am given at no charge of course. I know Movistar has plans that are similar. From what I have been told it has more minutes and you can call throughout Western Europe but has less internet. Do not quote me on this but I think this is correct information. There is also lots of information regarding this if you check the search function.

Thanks. Appreciate the info. I've actually used an Orange "burn" phone on one of my trips, I could always get one of those over there. Thanks again. La Paz, Bob

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum