• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP - - - - - >St james

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Nikkiolae,

The St Jean start point is no more official than any other but as so many people do opt to start there I do think it helps with getting to know people and the shared experience, assuming that's important to you. I really enjoyed the challenge of the Pyrenees that you get on day 1 leaving from SJPdP but maybe you'd like to start further away and build up to it or start in Spain and avoid it all together.

Whatever you choose...Burn Camino,

Rob.

Thanks Rob 🙂. It's all planning and saving at the mo. Possible plan is to take a hammock to reduce costs but have to take into account weight and safe places to pitch. Ideally with trees 😂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, a hammock, at least you'd be escaping the scorers! I take it you're going in summer, it can be pretty cold at nights at altitude. I know some people have issues with where they are allowed to pitch tents, I'm guessing hammocks might be the same so could be worth researching the rules, though I'm sure in remote spots it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm looking to walk the whole trail next year. Looking through some of the threads I can see many people only doing part of it. Suggestions welcome plz
Hi , the Camino is a walk and there is no sutch thing as a whole trail .

Wish you well , Peter .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m currently following the Way of St James and I am currently staying in the municipal albergue in Portmarin,

My start point was St Jean and it helped establish a “community” mentality particularly after the first couple of days when everyone was overwhelmed by the physical and mental experience. - it’s your Camino- so weigh up the options. - These people provided support and much more and whilst I walked solo it was good to see familiar faces to share food and relate our adventures. And we all went our own way,

I’ve met some peregrinos who planned to use a tent and sleep in the countryside and that’s fine. 100% of the sample of 2 didn’t use their tents - 1 person gave their tent away and the other is still lugging the stuff around - they regret the extra 5kg (including utensils) .

One point I’d make also - and maybe it’s a time of year thing - but my experience ( since November 1st ) is that on Sunday much hunting takes place - men in groups shooting lots of guns with lots of dogs - I’d be very circumspect about where I might be pitching up in the trees.

Whatever you decide - it’s the right thing for you

Buen Camino

Thanks Rob 🙂. It's all planning and saving at the mo. Possible plan is to take a hammock to reduce costs but have to take into account weight and safe places to pitch. Ideally with trees 😂
I think that you might struggle trying to find a place for a hammock - especially on the Meseta!

Lots of people do it in sections because they cant take a month or more off work or away from home. I walked with many Europeans who did a week a year and pick up where they left off. Very common approach. Recommend you forget the hammock. If you want to save money just stay at modest Alburgues. The camino is a lot of things, but expensive is not one of them. 50 Euros a day you can be comfortable, clean and safe. 100 a day you can live large. Enjoy whatever part you do. You can always go back and do more. I intend to.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was blessed to do El Camino Frances this past May, and The Camino offers everything, One thing I should mention is that if budget is one of your worries, albergues municipals are an option, not expensive, some of them, O'cebreio 5 Euros, others, Lorgoño, church albergue (parroquial) was a donation with a good dinner included. The less weight you carry the more joyful this adventure will be for you. Buen Camino and God Bless.

Attachments

• IMG_6970.jpg
    IMG_6970.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

I thought about taking my Clark Jungle Hammock my first Camino many years ago. Glad I didn't. There is a LOT of the Camino, such as the Meseta, where you'll not see a tree for a week. No place to hang. So unless you plan on taking a stand also, I'd forget the hammock idea. Buen Camino!

No trees, no hammock.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.